PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spinkle

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 16, 2019
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Lots of watch makers in fact use ETA movements in their mechanical watches. This makes the watch less unique, but also less expensive. If you want a classic all-mechanical watch and aren't concerned about having a unique "in-house" movement, then watches that use ETA movements are a great bargain.

The Swatch group ate up ETA several years ago and have been phasing out the sale of ETA ebauches to other companies. It was such a shock to the watch industry that the Swiss government stepped in and legislated against a sudden cut-off. Over the last few years they've been operating on a quota system which is going to eventually diminish to zero. That's the reason why Tudor came up with its own in-house movements (I posted my Black Bay earlier in the thread which was the first model with in-house movement).

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Here is my World War One anti magnetic watch in original 1915 calvary holder. It has a double case to prevent dust contamination, 36 hour run time and all anti-magnetic parts for working with electrical components involving mining German trenches. The case has the WD 1915 arrow stamp on the inside of the case. Its keeps pretty good time for its age and is one of several trench watches I have inherited from family members over the years!

I'm unhappy with the trend toward larger wrist watches. I think an oversized wristwatch looks ridiculous
Funny, but I just asked for a large wrist watch for Christmas from my wife when we were out shopping. I like the big look, and seeing the time without having to hold my arm as far back as I can reach when I don't have my glasses (which is always) is a plus. One of the other guys in the store made a comment that the small watches (like the vintage ones that I usually wear) look so obvious out of style. ha ha.
My kids also always remark that my small iPhone 5 looks so small and out of style also. But, I sort of work hard to look out of style, with all of my other vintage stuff. puffy

Reactions: voorhees

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
I must have been in a bad mood when I wrote that! I don't like the trend toward large watch faces, but I could've written that in a less offensive way. Okay, it is good for people to have choices. If someone wants a giant watch they are welcome to it. I got frustrated that it was so hard to find what I consider to be a reasonable size field watch. I like the size and ruggedness of the old ones (35-36mm).

I am certainly out of style. I don't have a smart phone. My phone is an old Nokia. It's not even a flip phone. I like it because I can drop it in a stream, take it apart and dry it out, and it'll still work. I can also use the vintage nature of the phone as an excuse for not replying to emails, and for being generally inaccessible when I am out of the house.

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
I am certainly out of style
You're not out of style. Those large watches look ridiculous and the fad will pass.

I suspect the trend came from people seeing muscle heads on the big screen with those giant watches and they thought that if they just put on a massive wrist watch... I might just sort of look like... if you catch me out of the corner of your eye going 100km/h on the road... yeah, ok.

It's similar to all of the young ladies who jumped on the pie sized sunglasses to try and pass off as an incognito movie star.

I skipped the whole "smart" phone thing too. My phone is permanently plugged into a wall and has two big brass bells that ring. No call display, so I just pick it up when it rings and enjoy the surprise.

I'm very happy to have missed that computer wedged up your ass boat. Strange thing is that I somehow still have a lot of friends and meet with them regularly. We just do that weird, archaic thing that we all used to do: make plans. Not being harassed by a stupid phone at all hours is really nice.

As for Flava Flav, well hell, he has just got style and there's no way around that. If I could pull that off like he does, I'd be swinging one of those around my neck too. Just one look at him and you know that guy is a good time!

You're not out of style. Those large watches look ridiculous and the fad will pass.

I suspect the trend came from people seeing muscle heads on the big screen with those giant watches and they thought that if they just put on a massive wrist watch... I might just sort of look like... if you catch me out of the corner of your eye going 100km/h on the road... yeah, ok.

It's similar to all of the young ladies who jumped on the pie sized sunglasses to try and pass off as an incognito movie star.

I skipped the whole "smart" phone thing too. My phone is permanently plugged into a wall and has two big brass bells that ring. No call display, so I just pick it up when it rings and enjoy the surprise.

I'm very happy to have missed that computer wedged up your ass boat. Strange thing is that I somehow still have a lot of friends and meet with them regularly. We just do that weird, archaic thing that we all used to do: make plans. Not being harassed by a stupid phone at all hours is really nice.

As for Flava Flav, well hell, he has just got style and there's no way around that. If I could pull that off like he does, I'd be swinging one of those around my neck too. Just one look at him and you know that guy is a good time!
Actually, it is a “style” that has come about as a result of the smartphone “fad.” This mostly left older men buying watches as younger folks used their phones... and older guys need larger faces to see them.
You might see younger guys in the ads, but it is mostly older men who buy them. They have been around for almost a decade, which makes it a little more than a fad. I keep waiting for people to get tired of those new fangled smart phones. Ha! puffy

Mtlpiper

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2019
Montreal, QC
This is my daily watch atm. I'll admit to watches being a bit of a vice. I tend to buy one when there's a big event and wore one during service as Yuda mentions. I feel naked without one.

This is a large watch - but my wrists are over 9", so a 47" face doesn't look so odd ;-)

Reactions: burleyboy

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I'm a bit of a watch guy. Basically all wristwatches fall into two categories: quartz and mechanical.
Quartz watches are generally cheaper and are basically always more accurate than mechanical. They run off a battery, and lots of serious watch guys think all quartz watches are created equal. You might pay more money for fit and finish, but basically any quartz watch is exactly as functional as a good old Timex.
Mechanical watches run off springs and gears. They don't have batteries, so they never 'die', unless there's a mechanical breakdown. The tradeoff is they're less accurate, and generally more expensive. High end brands like Rolex, Breitling, etc. specialize in mechanical watches, esp. 'automatic' watches, which are powered by the motion of the wearer's wrist winding a mainspring.
If you want to spend under $200, buy a quartz watch. If you want to go over $500, buy an automatic. After you make that decision, it really comes down to aesthetics.
I generally keep three watches: a big chunky plastic watch (like a G-Shock) I wear for exercising and very casual situations, a mechanical dive watch for most activities, and a slimmer 'dress watch' for things like church on Sundays and when I wear a suit.
Most of the time I wear a rough and ready Seiko SKX007 dive watch like this:

tumblr_n1saiclEpx1raz8rgo1_400.jpg

You can pick one up for around $200. But don't feel like you have to spend a ton of money to have a watch you enjoy. I've had many Timexes which gave as much or more enjoyment as watches costing many times more. It's just like pipes-- some guys have huge collections of old Dunhills, and some have two cobs and some Carter Hall. Both guys enjoy their pipes, and one isn't a superior experience to the other; it's just different.
Unless it's a Japanese movement in the Seiko they are garbage.. and even those are finnicky and innacurate.
get yourself a swiss watch IMO.

You can pick up a Wenger (with sapphire coated crystal for better hardness/scratch resistance) for a song.
Victorinox makes a good quality watch as well without breaking the bank.

then of course you can move up to however much you would like to spend...........

in case you can't tell I am OVER Asian watch movements. Just like their cars they are chincy POS's IMO.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
lol

yes some watch faces are just too huge and look ridiculous..
you have to find that sweet spot between what looks like a women's watch and what looks like a wall clock with a strap.

Lyle b

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 8, 2019
Northern rivers nsw Australia
Never owned one and dont plan to he he no need i spose but i do like the part in the beginning of Easy Rider when captain America and Billy are about to set off and CA looks at hos watch slips it off his wrist and throws it in the dirt .

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Before I only had pocket watches in use but today these two (Atlantic/Eterna-Matic are my go to ones,nontheless lately i'm starting to figure If I shall return back to use of good ole pocket watches,especially those plain silver Illinois/ Hamilton ''train watches looks fine to me,but are kinda rare event where I live,115011150311504

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Used to sell 'em, Bulova, Caravelle, Omega, Tissot, Vacheron Constantine, PIaget, Audemars Piquet, etc. etc. Haven't worn one in 30+ years. I always knew, within a couple of minutes, what time it was without one.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
I used to be a long haul driver and just set my radio to logbook time. Didn’t wear a watch due to clambering around the flatbed and engine. I used to train students learning to drive and had one get his wedding band caught when he finally got his finger out he had skinned his finger clean to the ligaments. After seeing that I stopped wearing jewelry around the rig. Now I did carry a pocket watch for a bit sans the chain because it to would get snagged places. Found one that just clipped on my belt loop with no chain and wore that till it got smashed against a steal pipe. Working around big heavy machinery can be dangerous so keep that in mind fellow driver. And if you hear the handle snow pirate on the CB it’s probably me. Keep it between the mustard and mayo.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore
Status
Not open for further replies.