PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Swiss Army Knife

Can't Leave
Jul 12, 2021
North Carolina
Been a while, summer and fall have been busy workwise. I've found myself smoking more and making labels less. Got the itch this afternoon though and finished out the P. Stokkebye bulk series. These are all the available blends I could find on SmokingPipes.

Peter Stokkebye Bulk Series
PSExample.png

CellarLabels | Google Drive
PS(Post Script not Peter Stokkebye): There's a hidden easter egg in PS24 Nougat relating to it's history in film. I doubt it'll show up once printed but it's a fun nod.

Sutliff Cringle Flake Series & Holiday Extras
SutliffChristmasExample.png
I did a Cringle Flake label for last year, now there's a version 2020 and the upcoming 2022. I also whipped up some Christmasy extras with a label for SPS-2008 Frosty Mint and Christmas Spice.

SutliffChristmasAltsExample.png
I'm including a couple alternative versions for Cringle Flake. Mainly matching them all to the 2021 Red/Green version if you'd prefer a more consistent and traditional label.

Swiss Army Knife

Can't Leave
Jul 12, 2021
North Carolina
Awesome work!
Is there any chance you could do a Dunhill My Mixture 965 label? (my primary blend) I understand it would be time permitting.
Absolutely, while I like creating new labels from scratch I also really enjoy "remastering" old labels.

If a blend has great personality defining tin designs already I'd rather carefully recreate than try and replace. Personally the older the design the better but options are good too so here's a few.

Dunhill My Mixture 965
MyMixture965Example.png
In the Google Drive link I've included a few "rimless" versions that leave off the outer edge and text in case anyone prefers those and doesn't have a pair of scissors laying around.
Could you please do Mac Baren Scottish mixture?
I didn't forget about you @TheWhale13!

Mac Baren Scottish Mixture
MBScottishMixtureExample.png
Some fun design trivia: One of the hardest parts about remastering old labels is that if they were made prior to the 90s they're using old font sets most of which were never digitized. There's a lot of good examples on this tin, Mac Baren's logo font, the Circusesque MIXTURE and the elaborate script Scottish Blend are all either lost, proprietary or custom made typefaces. If I can't find a modern font that's close enough I make a custom one-off typeface for the design.

I will do Meistermischung 88 and the whole MM series at some point, you're right in that they're ripe for some good labels. It may take some time though, the most time consuming thing is always coming up with a new design/branding from scratch.

Some G.L. Pease Extras
GLPExample.png
(Note: For Google Drive you'll need to click on the Fog City folder for those)
I finished this Windjammer label a little while ago but sat on it because I wasn't quite happy with it. However some last minute tweaks and I'm pretty content with it. I also added a few more of the Fog City labels, those single long names (Embarcadero and Montgomery) are challenging to design around to say the least. Had I not started with Union Square I likely would have taken these in another direction to better fit the trouble children.

Edit: Looking at the post the 80s version of 965 may print fairly darker than it should. Here's a lighter version that should print more accurately to the old labels.
965 Lighter Versions
MyMixture965Example_LIGHT.png

Google Drive

Last edited:

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Absolutely, while I like creating new labels from scratch I also really enjoy "remastering" old labels.

If a blend has great personality defining tin designs already I'd rather carefully recreate than try and replace. Personally the older the design the better but options are good too so here's a few.

Dunhill My Mixture 965
View attachment 184341
In the Google Drive link I've included a few "rimless" versions that leave off the outer edge and text in case anyone prefers those and doesn't have a pair of scissors laying around.

I didn't forget about you @TheWhale13!

Mac Baren Scottish Mixture
View attachment 184343
Some fun design trivia: One of the hardest parts about remastering old labels is that if they were made prior to the 90s they're using old font sets most of which were never digitized. There's a lot of good examples on this tin, Mac Baren's logo font, the Circusesque MIXTURE and the elaborate script Scottish Blend are all either lost, proprietary or custom made typefaces. If I can't find a modern font that's close enough I make a custom one-off typeface for the design.

I will do Meistermischung 88 and the whole MM series at some point, you're right in that they're ripe for some good labels. It may take some time though, the most time consuming thing is always coming up with a new design/branding from scratch.

Some G.L. Pease Extras
View attachment 184348
(Note: For Google Drive you'll need to click on the Fog City folder for those)
I finished this Windjammer label a little while ago but sat on it because I wasn't quite happy with it. However some last minute tweaks and I'm pretty content with it. I also added a few more of the Fog City labels, those single long names (Embarcadero and Montgomery) are challenging to design around to say the least. Had I not started with Union Square I likely would have taken these in another direction to better fit the trouble children.

Edit: Looking at the post the 80s version of 965 may print fairly darker than it should. Here's a lighter version that should print more accurately to the old labels.
965 Lighter Versions
View attachment 184350

Google Drive
Fantastic, much appreciated!

Reactions: Swiss Army Knife

Zeno Marx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2022
Very, very sharp. I'm keen. I think the Stokkebye's on the 1st page are no longer available...or maybe I'm doing something wrong. Thanks. Very fun and nice designs.

request: C&D Night Train. The name has always made me imagine a caboose guy in traditional blue/white pin striped bibs and conductor hat hanging off the side of the train, waving a lantern and looking like an unhinged loon.

Swiss Army Knife

Can't Leave
Jul 12, 2021
North Carolina
Very, very sharp. I'm keen. I think the Stokkebye's on the 1st page are no longer available...or maybe I'm doing something wrong. Thanks. Very fun and nice designs.

request: C&D Night Train. The name has always made me imagine a caboose guy in traditional blue/white pin striped bibs and conductor hat hanging off the side of the train, waving a lantern and looking like an unhinged loon.
Ah yeah, apologies for that. I re-uploaded them when I did all the others recently and I'm guessing it killed the old links. I'll try and fix them if I can.

Night Train is a great one, a lot of possibilities. For the regular line of C&D tins I've done pretty basic designs, I think originally I was a little unfairly prejudiced against them. While OJK works well on a minimalist label something like Night Train probably deserves little more pizzazz.

Reactions: Zeno Marx

Swiss Army Knife

Can't Leave
Jul 12, 2021
North Carolina
Thanks for sharing! You're very talented. Have you done anything for the HU Tobaccos or Peterelli?
Not yet, I primarily do blends I've gotten myself and I'm sick of staring at a sharpies silver jar lid. I switched to Mylar last year so I've slowed down on making labels in general. HU is on my radar though I can't say it'll be any time soon.

Are you going to do the Birds of a Feather series?!?!?!

You don't like the bird art?! It didn't capture me either, but I'm kind of hesitant to mess with it as the birds themselves look good it's just the way it's all laid out is a little meh to me. They're so zoomed in with those flat backgrounds it's hard to make changes to them without the original art. Still, I've got a good friend who's an illustrator. Might pitch him the idea to some "homage" birds.

Jun 18, 2020
Wilmington, NC
Not yet, I primarily do blends I've gotten myself and I'm sick of staring at a sharpies silver jar lid. I switched to Mylar last year so I've slowed down on making labels in general. HU is on my radar though I can't say it'll be any time soon.

You don't like the bird art?! It didn't capture me either, but I'm kind of hesitant to mess with it as the birds themselves look good it's just the way it's all laid out is a little meh to me. They're so zoomed in with those flat backgrounds it's hard to make changes to them without the original art. Still, I've got a good friend who's an illustrator. Might pitch him the idea to some "homage" birds.
No! I love the bird art, I just don't have the first 3 tins. I wanted to get them for my wife who is an avid birder :)