PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Swiss Army Knife

Can't Leave
Jul 12, 2021
North Carolina
ThreadHeader.png
I'm a graphic designer by trade and despite my best efforts I can't help but spend inordinate amounts of time making sure my drawers of mason jars are looking their very best. There was some interest in me posting all my jar labels and maybe taking some requests a few months back and I'm now finally getting around to it! I figure I'll break these up by brand so it's easier to sort through. I'm just going to link them on cellar labels and google drive for right now since I'm uploading a bunch at once and attaching like 30+ images to this post is a little much. If anyone wants them directly uploaded here just ask.

Cornell & Diehl
Alpine Lodge CellarLabels | GoogleDrive
Eight State Burley CellarLabels | GoogleDrive
Folklore CellarLabels | GoogleDrive
Old Joe Krantz CellarLabels | GoogleDrive

Escudo
Regular CellarLabels | GoogleDrive
Special (White) CellarLabels | GoogleDrive
Special (Red) CellarLabels | GoogleDrive
Special (Blue) CellarLabels | GoogleDrive

Gallaher's War Horse
Bar CellarLabels | GoogleDrive

Sir Walter Raleigh
Regular CellarLabels | GoogleDrive

Sutliff
507C Virginia Slices CellarLabels | GoogleDrive
507S Stoved Virginia CellarLabels | GoogleDrive
515 RC-1 CellarLabels | GoogleDrive
707 Sweet Virginia CellarLabels | GoogleDrive
759 Sobranie Match CellarLabels | GoogleDrive
Match 20 CellarLabels | GoogleDrive
Mixture 79 CellarLabels | GoogleDrive
TS1R Red Virginia Ribbon CellarLabels | GoogleDrive
Z92 Vanilla Custard CellarLabels | GoogleDrive

Crumble Kake Red Virginia CellarLabels | GoogleDrive
Crumble Kake VA Perique CellarLabels | GoogleDrive
Crumble Kake English #1 CellarLabels | GoogleDrive

Cringle Flake 2021 CellarLabels | GoogleDrive

As a standard these are all 2x2 inches 300 DPI by default. That means they should print out at 100% scale to fit pretty perfectly on standard sized mason jar lids. You'll need to bump them up to 2 1/2 inches for the wide mouth tops.

I'm sure you could get some kind of fancy label paper but personally I just print them out on your typical printer paper, cut out the circles, slap some clear packaging tape over them, get them nice and stuck to the jar top, then cut away the excess tape. It's cheap, fairly easy, and somewhat waterproof!

Typically if I like a label I'll just repurpose it to fit a 2x2 circle (some of the C&D small batches are a good example.) However if I don't really like a label I'll usually redesign it entirely. These are my own personal tastes, if you want something a little different I may be able to do accomodate that if I've got free time, which leads me to...

Requests
I'm happy to whip up labels in my own style by request but don't expect it to be a quick turn around or anything. I do these in my spare time when the mood strikes me and I'm quite content to keep it that way, I'm not doing this for money. Really it's just to share with the community. So if you've got a label you wince at every time you grab the jar let me know and I'll see if I can make something a little better.

Swiss Army Knife

Can't Leave
Jul 12, 2021
North Carolina
And here's a few GL Pease labels I put together recently.

Original Mixtures Example
GLPHaddosDelight-01.png
Fog City Example
GLPUnionSquare-01.png
Key Largo
GLPKeyLargo-01.png

Tried to keep the feeling of the Original Mixture's old style, and used a random sampling of some my first pipes in stead of the oldies. Still not 100% on it though. Also pretty happy with the redesign of the Pease logo, but may have gone a little farther from the source that I should have, still I like the way it fits into that offset circle up top.

Last edited:

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Excellent! Thank you!
How would you like requests, PM, or on this thread to keep track of what's available over time? I imagine you will get a lot of requests for labels you don't have presently listed.

Reactions: Swiss Army Knife

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Amazing work and very generous of you to offer them! I grabbed a couple from the Google Drive to print And use in my cellar.
I just had a crazy idea about getting some heavier stock and printing them for Drink Coasters?
I imagine with a digital image, they could be printed on anything. They could also probably be laser etched in glass, plastics or metals. Lot's of possibilities.

Reactions: Fralphog

Swiss Army Knife

Can't Leave
Jul 12, 2021
North Carolina
Thanks to @fightnhampster for pointing this out to me: Any labels uploaded to the forum directly as attachments will be downscaled to around 1024x1024. Honestly this is probably fine for a 2x2 inch label, but if anyone wants to use them for anything bigger it doesn't hurt to have the real deal.

In the future I'll include a link to both CellarLabels (which are even smaller at around 800x800) and Google Drive which will have all the big full size versions whenever I post an update.

So here's the links to the current Pease blends.

Swiss Army Knife

Can't Leave
Jul 12, 2021
North Carolina
New Sutliff label for
523 Voodoo Queen.
Sutliff_523-01.png
Cellar Labels | Google Drive (High Res)

Peter Stokkebye
Did the Peter Stokkebye Flakes in the style of the old Thomson & Porteous Scots Cake flake tin. Really liked the design on this one and had a lot of fun recreating it for Stokkebye. Meant recreating the PS logo as well as approximating the family crest as best I could from images of it on the old PS bulk boxes. If anyone has one and can post a better version let me know, couldn't really tell what the left side of the crest was supposed to be and ended up mirroring the right side.

Luxury Twist Flake
LuxuryTwistFlake-01.png

Luxury Bullseye Flake
LuxuryBullseyeFlake-01.png

Luxury Navy Flake
LuxuryNavyFlake-01.png

Stoved Labels
Inspired by this thread about home stoving tobacco I whipped up some alternate labels to go with some of the bulks I'm stoving. Some of these I like better than the originals, granted I'm a sucker for the color red. If there's an existing label you want "stoved" it's quick and easy for me to do so let me know.

Example, check the Google Drive for the full labels:
StovedExample.png
Google Drive (High Res)

In the pipe I've got a handful of labels for Gawith Hoggarth, vector recreations of a lot of the old Mac Baren round tins, a few Mac Baren HH Labels, and a not so mellow mallard.

Swiss Army Knife

Can't Leave
Jul 12, 2021
North Carolina
This morning I just had the urge to remake the Devil's Holiday label. It's probably one of my top ten favorite round tin designs and have wanted a super high-res version forever. Just such a great little devil illustration, did my best in recreating it digitally.

Devil's Holiday
DevilsHoliday_Clean.png
CellarLabels | Google Drive

And in case anyone loves that design as much as I do here's a standalone version with just the devil illustration.
Google Drive

This imp doesn't travel alone, I did this one a while ago but finally got it finished up. My take on Mellow Mallard as inspired by the old Pelican Cigarettes cans. In a Mallard appropriate color scheme and the classic Pelican style.

Mellow Mallard - Duck Style
MellowMallard_DuckStyle-01.png

Mellow Mallard - Pelican Style
MellowMallard_PelicanStyle-01.png

After fixing up the Mallard I did the same with an old Blue Note label I made around the same time. Obviously heavily inspired by New York's famous The Blue Note Jazz Club.

Blue Note
BlueNote-01.png

Mac Baren Vintage Series
As promised I'm also sharing a handful of the digitally recreated old Mac Baren tins. It still blows my mind that they went from these to what they have now, at least we can still see homages to it in things like the Royal Twist releases. Speaking of I did a vintage version and the 2021 rerelease version. I tried as best as I could to approximate the ROYAL TWIST font on the vintage version but can't for the life of me find the font they used back then. Apparently neither could Mac Baren as they used a different font for the 2021 rerelease, design fun facts!
MBExample.png

As always, hope you all enjoy. For any Roll Cake or Golden Extra fans out there those are on the production line. Feel free to suggest more of these vintage tins as well, if it doesn't exist I'll make it up! Gawith blends and Mac Baren HH series are upcoming. Far on the horizon will be my pride and joy, the entirety of the Rattray's catalogue. Stay tuned.