PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Took the Medico out this afternoon for my first smoke in it, Capstan Gold RR, for the record. Smoked beautifully, perhaps a little warmer than I'd like a chamber to be, but no issues thus far. I'll deal with the cosmetic issue of the rim later in the week. The good news is that systemically, the pipe appears to have not lost a step, which is noteworthy considering the fact that the last time it was smoked (or cleaned) was potentially before I was even born!

It also takes a 6mm Savinelli charcoal filter quite nicely, so I do have that option. Very happy with this acquisition! I think I will make it my VA pipe, and designate my Foyard as the "everything else" pipe.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
did you run hot water in the meer lining? ive Heard both sides of the argument, yea and nay. I don’t run hot water through my lined bowl…just wipe it out.
I briefly ran lukewarm water through it once at the outset, just to get the aged crud out. Surprisingly, there wasn't much of it. From here on out, I plan on only wiping the chamber out with a paper towel like I do with all my others after a bowl.

J-Evverrett

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 17, 2021
Meriden, CT
Great story. I’ve picked up a few over the years that way from elderly widows on my trash routes. I would recommend a firm bristled toothbrush with warm water, and patience. Preferably not your daily toothbrush. It will come off haha.

Reactions: Servant King

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Update: I just received my first meer! The guy who has the land we're clearing up came over today to check it all out. It's still a work in progress, but he's clearly a happy guy, because after we moved some scrap metal into the bed of his truck, he handed me a black case, which possessed the conspicuous shape of a pipe. I opened it up, and here's what I beheld:

meer in case.jpg

He said it belonged to his father, who had long since passed, and once he found out I smoked a pipe, it was the most natural thing for him to gift it to me. With my birthday precisely one week away, it was truly perfect timing! It's in pretty damn good shape for being from at least the late 60s, possibly earlier (according to him anyway). I had already loaded my Savinelli Miele 611 with a half-bowl of Rattray Jocks Mixture per my WAYS post, but hadn't lit up yet when this happened. So I just transferred it to the newcomer after I cleaned it up and, as my paternal grandmother would say when she felt like speaking Yiddish (which was often), Ma Tovu! (how lovely)

meer.jpg

The dragon claw around the bowl is quite intricate. I'll need some help from the forum in identifying it past the SMS label, as there is nary a distinguishing engraving anywhere on this pipe that I can detect. Man, what a birthday! ??

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Thanks @OzPiper for the well wishes! I did indeed jump the gun, and paid for it...the plastic piece that slips onto the tenon and screws into the mortise broke as soon as I separated them after cooldown. Not exactly a surprise, since it's so old, but I figure there's probably an easy fix to this i.e. a replacement.

meer tenon.jpg

I've got the plastic bit facing the wrong way here, but you get the idea. The crack down the length of it says it all. Advice anyone?

Edit: Jumped the gun again! I see from a previous thread that MeerschaumMarket.com sells these for $3, and they seem to be universal. Going to try this next week.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
@Servant King, you're most welcome.

Duane (@Chasing Embers) or @weezell may have the best leads.

I shouldn't think those delrin fittings will be to difficult to come by.
Yep, I just figured it out. I shouldn't be the least bit surprised it just snapped like a twig...who knows how long it's been sitting around for?

Thanks mate! ?

jhowell

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 25, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
Yep, I just figured it out. I shouldn't be the least bit surprised it just snapped like a twig...who knows how long it's been sitting around for?

Thanks mate! ?
That happens with the nylon / delrin fittings. I keep a handful around for just such an occasion (and for newly acquired used pipes...) - fleabay is your friend. I drill out the tenon to 1/8" on all of mine and love the draw. As much as people tend to bad-mouth this connection, I really like them - just have to remember to disassemble ccw...

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
I'd be interested in a line or two about who you hired and how you got the vehicle carcasses and other heavy junk off your property. That seems like it could be expensive unless you found someone who could turn it into profit, other than charging you.
A reasonable question. But that's no surprise; you're the voice of reason on this forum!

A friend of ours does major vehicle restoration. He took one look at the stash, and arranged for flat-bed tow trucks to come out on separate occasions. The "free stuff" section of Craigslist took care of the rest, which was basically just scrap metal and other sundry items abandoned there. Apparently, there are some very resourceful folks out there who can turn what seems like utter junk into something useful. It's a great attribute to possess, especially as the economy worsens.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
There are some very resourceful folks out there who can turn what seems like utter junk into something useful. It's a great attribute to possess, especially as the economy worsens.
As someone who can barely hammer a nail into a piece of wood ( and note - no mention of the nail being hit in straight ?), I'm in awe of those who can re-purpose pieces of "junk" onto a piece of sculpture or furniture.

Everytime I bring out a saw or power tool my wife reacts as though I'm about to perform surgery on a part of my anatomy.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Thank you @Chasing Embers for confirming MM.com as a solid source! Got the new pieces from them the other day, swapped the old ones with the new ones, and hot damn, the meer is as good as new. To anyone else in the same predicament, I fully endorse MeerschaumMarket.com and their super cheap mortise/tenon delrin screw set.

Thank you @TheIronMonkey for directing me to this thread, which I found quite valuable. Clockwise turn only, clockwise turn only...it's now embedded in my brain, along with a buncha other stuff. I'm running out of room in there...

And thanks to Ashton for putting out Gold Rush, and so affordably to boot. This be a damn fine blend. puffy