PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
For the past couple of weeks, my wife and I have been working on clearing a patch of land adjacent to our little mountain cabin. The plot was absolutely crammed with junker cars/RVs, old wood, metal, and a myriad of other sundry items, all collecting dust and rust. In other words, basically the Ritz Carlton for rodents. We happened to chat with the titleholder at about this time last year. He hadn't been around in several years. It turns out, it's not his stuff either, but whoever it belonged to was long gone. Both of us wanted to get it cleared out, but it seemed an overwhelming proposition at the time, and over the course of the next year, life happened, as it always seems to. This winter, we just got sick of dealing with the rodent problem (see my thread about this here), so we resolved to finally do something about the junk up there. We're chipping away at it, a little bit at a time.

You may be asking, what does this have to do with pipe restoration? So obviously, getting the junker cars out is the hardest part. One of them was a mid 60s Buick Riviera, missing its engine, but good parts salvage for someone who had such an endeavor. We found such a gentleman, in his 60s, who had been restoring one and needed the parts. So of course, I'm going to be smoking my pipe when he comes over to take a look at it, and he remarked how his girlfriend still has her grandfather's old pipe in storage, and then asked me if I was interested in having it. He knew nothing about it (neither did the girlfriend), but I figured, why not? I could always rely on the folks of this fine forum for advice if it needed restoration.

The pipe finally showed up in the mail today. It's a Medico White Wall (looks like a billiard, which I will assume it is unless someone can correct me on that), and according to the lady's best estimate, it's from the 60s or 70s. Okay, I know it's just a budget pipe, but it's still pretty sweet to just get a gift like this simply because I happened to be smoking a pipe at the right time! Anyway, I spent a little bit of time after lunch with it, armed with my arsenal of BJ Long pipecleaners, paper towels, Q-tips, and Everclear. Surprisingly, not much gunk came out of the shank, or the stem. Sure, the bit is a little chewed up, and the rim is charred like a brisket at a bar mitzvah, but it ain't too bad--I've certainly seen far worse. Check the attached pics and see for yourselves.

Any advice from folks on how to clean up the rim would be appreciated. For the record, I've never done a pipe restoration before, in any capacity. The tenon and mortise are fine, no chips in the former or dents in the latter. It had a Dr. Grabow filter in it that I tossed. It looked like it predated the Spanish-American War, but I plan on smoking this one filterless anyway. Also, any general info on this pipe would be welcomed. It's no Barling, I know, but it's a neat little story, and a neat piece to add to my small collection.

Thanks guys!

Attachments

• medico bit.jpg
    medico bit.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 21
  • medico logo.jpg
    medico logo.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 17
  • medico rim.jpg
    medico rim.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 16
  • medico stem.jpg
    medico stem.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 16
  • medico tenon.jpg
    medico tenon.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 19
  • medico.jpg
    medico.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
I like the pipe. I have but one Medico and always on the look out for another. As far as I'm concerned you scored.
Try using a paper towel with hot water to get the gunk off of the rim.
Did that already. I took the photos after I did that, so what you see is the improved version! I probably need to do a few more passes, right?

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Nice story and nice pipe! I use a gentle touch with a scotch brite pad and water. I've also folded a paper towel up so its 4 thickness and put it on a small plate and saturate with water. Then microwave the towel for a bit till it's steaming hot and then invert the bowl on it- this softens the gunk.

Looks like your pipe is meerschaum lined, so I probably wouldn't do the hot water trick............

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Nice story and nice pipe! I use a gentle touch with a scotch brite pad and water. I've also folded a paper towel up so its 4 thickness and put it on a small plate and saturate with water. Then microwave the towel for a bit till it's steaming hot and then invert the bowl on it- this softens the gunk.

Looks like your pipe is meerschaum lined, so I probably wouldn't do the hot water trick............
Ah, so that's meerschaum lining. That answers that question, thanks Beef! Going to take it on a test run this afternoon, but I will definitely give the scotch brite pad/water combo a try. The paper towel got some off, but there's a limit to what it can do. God only knows how long that crud has been fused onto the rim.

GreatWhiteNorthPiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2022
Ontario, Canada
That's a great story. Sounds like a great find! A few weeks ago, a guy near where I live was selling his father's old pipes from the 1950s. He had quite a few for sale but they weren't in very good condition. But there was one Medico that was acceptable and I grabbed it for $15!!! It's a small Medico Rebel and needed some cleaning but it smokes great, if a little hot. The bowl is a bit small so it's good for quick smokes when I'm on the go. And for $15 I'm not going to complain!

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I wouldn't want to traumatize my camera like that. ;)
It is a curiosity though..."crammed with junker cars/RVs"...really? Like, how many RVs? How many cars? Would be interesting to know how all of that got left there. A junk dealer might haul the vehicles off for you at no cost.

Reactions: Servant King

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
It is a curiosity though..."crammed with junker cars/RVs"...really? Like, how many RVs? How many cars? Would be interesting to know how all of that got left there. A junk dealer might haul the vehicles off for you at no cost.
Two RVs, four cars, two camper shells, (all in pretty poor shape) and assorted other junk. Long expired plates, and no titles. Our mechanic friend hauled away half of them for parts, and we're just waiting for a metal scrapper friend of his to take care of the rest. The "free stuff" section of Craigslist would probably work too, but too many crazies, especially out here in the boonies north of LA.

According to a neighbor, a biker gang was squatting there after the '08 crash. Found some old motorcycle magazines in one of the trailers to corroborate that story. Also found a mountain of empty Smart Water bottles in the other trailer. Health conscious (and unfluoridated!) motorcycle gang, who'd have thought? :ROFLMAO:

It'll all get taken care of at no cost, so that's a plus. And in the process, we also unearthed some useful stuff for building a small greenhouse in the summer. That'll be a nice project for me--I'll really be earning my evening pipe now!