PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

oneiric

Lurker
Dec 23, 2018
I've been looking at Meerschaum pipes a lot lately and I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on my first one. Most recently, I've had my eye on an AKB meer for sale on Smoking Pipes. I've read that you want to avoid buying meers with screw-in tenons. I used their chat feature to briefly speak with an employee there who checked the pipe I was interested in, and was told that the tenon could be turned clockwise to simulate a briar tenon, and counterclockwise to unscrew the mortise. The employee I was speaking to did not test this.
Does anyone here own an AKB with a similar arrangement who would be able to give me a detailed description of how the mortise/tenon are arranged? I don't want to buy this and be surprised by something I didn't expect. Photos would also be very helpful. Thank you!

Reactions: Servant King

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I've had a AKB claw for years now with no issue. They are the screw in mortise type and the stem should be turned clockwise when removing and inserting.

oneiric

Lurker
Dec 23, 2018
Great! So the mortise screws in, and I won't touch it. The stem tenon is smooth and straight like a straw and I should twist it clockwise while pulling to loosen and remove it? And the same when reinserting it?

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
I agree with the others. Mine have a screw in and they have been issue free. Just turn clockwise when inserting or removing it.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The stem tenon is smooth and straight like a straw and I should twist it clockwise while pulling to loosen and remove it? And the same when reinserting it?
You got it. Turning the stem counterclockwise will remove the threaded mortise.
AKB pipes are made from block meerschaum and color very nicely BTW.
20180930_184036.jpg

leafsmoker

Can't Leave
Oct 26, 2017
Indiana, USA
It depends on age, and if it hasn't been touched in more than 30+years.Most of my Meer's turn clockwise like stated, but I have two super old ones that do not budge turning clockwise,so to avoid breakage I turn them counter clockwise and you will see the threads,etc...but safer to me than risking a break of tenon or worse, part of the pipe shank. :puffpipe:

Status
Not open for further replies.