PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Seeing that I like SL I obviously dipped into my limited funds and purchased a few tins. Got it yesterday and only tried two bowls, but the jury is still out as I never judge a tobacco that quickly. Well, not unless it’s obviously obnoxious to me from the get go.
As to whether it was hype or not, or whatever term you wish to use that SP used to sell this new release, I simply consider it business at hand and I find no harm or foul whatsoever. Did I fall for their sales pitch on this release… sure, and it was my decision. I mean really… it’s a freaking business that exists to make money and not pamper and pander to some of these little childish quirks and nitpicking of what is substantially a relatively very small market in the world. After all, SP didn’t try to gouge anyone with some exorbitant price on this offering so get over it. It’s a business, and nothing more, so simply grow up and put your big boy pants on and deal with the real world. If you don’t like something that you see, or care for the way it’s presented/offered... DON’T BUY IT! Pretty simple eh!
@monty53
I am assuming when the shippers are getting tins out of original box they simply remove from the top, and not a column of tins. That is not good. In fact if SPC were to shrink wrap these in groups of 5 sequential ordered tins, I would have paid an extra 1.00 per tin. They should pay attention to these little details when offering a release of only 2000 tins. These things matter over time in the "Special Edition" world.
Although I agree with most of your sentiments on this I’ll have to disagree with you on that point. Do you honestly feel that the SP shipping staff was supposed to take the time to group any and every order for more than one tin so that each tin was consecutively numbered! Then again, I’m simply an old fart who purchases tobacco if and when the need arises and I haven’t the faintest interest in possibly making a profit on what I purchase by selling it in the future. I would think the same thing would apply to any distributor of pipe tobacco as they are a business and not there to make sure and take precious time to accommodate those who might possibly wish to do so. But, that’s just my opinion. ;)
I think this thread should have a limited run of only 100 posts.
Couldn’t agree with ya more peck.

Dec 24, 2012
Hardly a risk. They understood very clearly that by hyping it up the dummies (us) we would be kicking the virtual doors in to buy a blend no one has ever smoked. I don't hold it against them but it's just business, no uneccassary risk or a gamble by any stretch.
Fair point, but in fairness to SP, I don't think they quite appreciated the number of dummies on this forum, although I would venture to guess that they will be much more cognizant of that after this thread.
So viewed in that light, perhaps they thought it was a risk? Can we grant them that? If they didn't, then why not 3000 tins or 5000? I am sure they won't make the same mistake again and that the limited edition run for Captain Bob's Special Edition will consist of 10,000 tins numbered in ancient aramaic. I can't wait to place my order.

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
I have had nothing but great experiences with SPC and liked the special release and the time they took to come up with it.
Now my seven tins and not in sequence either but I did not buy them with the intent to sell them later. Maybe a thread can be started and we can trade with others to get some of the numbers in order.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
This might be a limited release in the US but GQ tobacco has had it for some time now.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I personally like to keep things on a positive note and ethically believe you must assume the best intentions and motives unless you have concrete proof to the contrary. I come to these forums for entertainment, information, education, the occasional joke and fellowship with brothers of the leafs. If I want bitchin, I'll go talk to my wife. 8) JMO.
Speaking of positive notes, I'm currently smoking a bowl of SLAP (Squadron Leader And Perique - acronym coined somewhat ironically by buroak). I ordered 15 tins, partially because I thought they would be good barter chips. Also, I like SL very much and the blend recipe sounded appetizing. I also got caught up in the piranha feeding frenzy. Also, I'm impulsive and OCD.
I smoked a bowl of SL standard before trying the new blend. SL was lighter than I remembered but probably just relative to the heaver balkan and Lat blends I've been smoking of recent. But still a very fine smoke.
After the bowl of SL, I ate some pizza and gave my palate a rest. I then loaded a bowl of SLAP into the same pot I had used for the SL.
Holy Smoke! My hopes were more than met. I wouldn't have known the two blends were related if I had smoked them blind. The perique balances out the Latakia. I would go so far to say that the Lat recedes to a background note. It is a sweet, silky smooth, thick smoke that tickles the nostrils pleasantly. Burns well but could possibly benefit from a little drying. Zero tongue bite. Nice room note.
I had earlier offered to trade tins for Balkan Sobranie and now regret it. I may have to give up two tins as a matter of courtesy to those who responded but will not give up any more. I can only imagine how fabulous these will be after aging for a few years. I wouldn't trade my SLAP for equal weight in Penzance and would hesitate before trading for Stonehaven.
I'm cellaring these with my other special tobaccos, e.g, Stonehaven, and will dip into the stash solely for special occasions. If I can discipline myself, I'll crack maybe a tin a year, perhaps around Christmas.
Just one note. If you like bold, in your face blends, this is not for you. It is mild bodied and flavorful but not powerful.
I do hope that our friends at SmokingPipes will consider re-issuing this blend so that others may experience this sublime tobacco. Perhaps if we tender this request POLITELY and persistently, they will honor our wishes. And it is OK if they want to make a buck. They aren't a charity organization. Besides, I want my friends to prosper. If they do release more, they can mark me down for another 15 tins.
I have many favorite blends. I like none better than SLAP. I have finally found a pipe blend equal to the finest Dominican cigars. If SLAP becomes commonly available, it would be in my weekly rotation.
I'll post another note after I finish the tin. BTW, is it kosher to copy and paste from one thread to another? This review blurb ran longer than I intended and I would like to re-purpose it for the review thread.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
So apparently you actually tried to buy this!? Sacrilege!
monty55, I have been consistently clear that this is a blend I would like to try. Were it continuously available I bet it would be in my regular rotation. So, wrong? No. Hardheaded? Yes.

If you don’t like something that you see, or care for the way it’s presented/offered... DON’T BUY IT! Pretty simple eh!
phil67, I would have loved to buy some. The artificial scarcity of the blend is the problem I have with Smokingpipes.com. The condescension in your comment was unnecessary.
So viewed in that light, perhaps they thought it was a risk?
peckinpahhombre, There is always the possibility of miscalculation, but I still doubt they could really see Squadron Leader Special Edition as a risky offering.
Phil's right on!...well, first two paragraphs, at least.
ericusrex, I do not see his hostility and condescension as laudable.
This might be a limited release in the US but GQ tobacco has had it for some time now.
daimyo, That is good news. Thank you for noting that. I hope it will work its way to US retailers on an ongoing basis.
brass, Thanks for your review of SLAP, and for granting me my bit of fun in the abbreviation. I am now hoping even more fervently that this blend will be made available on an ongoing basis.

jimbo44

Might Stick Around
Aug 2, 2010
@Lochinvar: "... Get on that FVF Oriental flake."
Try Sam's Flake from SG's Kendal Mayor's Collection:
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/2372/samuel-gawith-sams-flake

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
peckinpahhombre, Your timing is perfect. I was just thinking some more about your call to give Smokingpipes.com the benefit of the doubt. I can imagine that they could see a larger release of a "Special Edition" as risky in the sense that a larger run of 5,000, 10,000 or more tins would diminish the specialness of the "Special Edition". The blend was not a risky offering, but a "Special Edition" in a large run might not have moved as quickly out of their inventory. I remain skeptical, but I can give them the benefit of the doubt to that limited extent.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
daimyo, Could you post a link for that tobacco? I could not find it on their site.

samanden

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 11, 2013
Alexandria, VA
So it looks like smokingpipes.com has decided to alter their notification system. If I were a betting man, I'd say this change is in response to the hoopla around their release of Squadron Leader w/ perique. I've always been a fan of smokingpipes (and cupojoes too), and it's nice to see a company that puts their customer's concerns first, even if those concerns come from a very small minority. Personally, I had no problem with the old system. But I've come to learn that, in many cases, flies respond to vinegar more than honey. Just my 2 cents...

May 31, 2012
imrBEP6.png
Sort of an odd dogfight going on!
I appreciate SmokingPipes effort and consider it not a marketing ploy, but more a special gift for those so interested --- I didn't get any as I don't like SL, but I almost bought a tin just for the art, the green background is just so right...
...I'd like to see this trend continue!
Maybe nudge Mac Baren for an uncut plug version of BK complete with a traditional British casing essence added?

:)
Maybe Gawith Hoggarth could be nudged for Kendal Kentucky Plug!

I would buy quite a bit of that! :P
The possibilities are endless...
...as for SLaP,

the Andalucía Pipa Club may have a few tins left,

but they only made 500:

http://www.andaluciapc.org/node/81
Squadron_Leader-APC-2014.jpg
3tHmatz.jpg

Dec 24, 2012
I don't think the change was in response to the issue with SL with perique. Since that was a "new" blend that was released, nobody would be notified about it in any event by either the existing system or them one they are moving to. Just a hunch.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
In this thread ol' fart vents spleen, in the process swears off Vendor because Vendor brings to market exclusive product with a $1 premium.
Who needs Capitalism when you have Walmart?

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
bigpond, I am not sure I understand your post, but the rudeness is unnecessary.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
Second to the last post by my reckoning, it will be back as a regular stocking item, I have no doubt. It will be popular, but not scarce and whoever wants, could enjoy it. Time will tell. Now for the final post.

Status
Not open for further replies.