Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I picked up 5 tins. The idea of returning a blend to its original formula certainly intrigued me.
Maybe we could get Germain to produce a special edition of Balkan Sobrani using the ingredients, like Syrian Latakia, that were in the original. Should only take 10-15 years for them to get around to it.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
So are there any plans to obtain and sell more?
+1
Regular availability of this blend in non-special edition packaging would tell me Smokingpipes.com is indeed serious about providing desirable tobaccos to consumers. Otherwise, Squadron Leader Special Edition will just linger in my memory as a gimmick to get people to panic buy an artificially scarce product. I will for the time being withhold judgment and my Dollars.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I, for one, appreciate SP's innovation and creativity, whether or not SL with Perique is ever released again or not. Sometimes a special really is a special and I welcome them, e.g. limited edition Christmas pipes or blends. I don't want to ding sponsors for trying new things. SP could as easily have been left sitting on an inventory of 1500 plus tins that they would have to dump for a fire sale. JMO.
In fairness, I was able to purchase my share. If I had missed out, I might feel a little differently.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
I too appreciate limited additions and anticipate buying future offerings.Squadron Leader was on my list to try in a future order, this limited is just a bonus. I'm looking forward to trying this and squirreling one away.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Actually, if I buy a limited edition, and then the offer is repeated a few months later, I feel gypped. The company has undercut the value of my purchase.
We have a furniture company in Washington, DC that is in the business of "Going out of business" sales. They've open and closed at least 4 or 5 times to my recollection.
Annual sales are a different matter than limited edition sales. I bought the limit on Escuo last year from 4 Noggins and was happy that they repeated the sale this year.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
My order shows as shipped but the tracking doesn't seem to work for me. Last order tracked fine and showed "cleared Canada customs" and the next time I checked said it arrived in Miami, it was delivered that same day.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
brass,
I understand your position, but I do not see anything intrinsically special about Squadron Leader Special Edition. McClelland's Christmas Cheer is intrinsically special because it consists of tobacco from a single crop. Squadron Leader Special Edition is special in the sense that they took a well-known, popular blend, added a well-known, popular condimental leaf to it, and, most importantly, added some numbers to the label on the tin. The "specialness" of the Special Edition comes all, or nearly all, from the addition of those numbers.
I also do not really see the risk in a 2000-tin run of this tobacco. As previously noted, Squadron Leader is popular - it ranks 28th in Smokingpipes.com tin sales. For reference, G.L. Pease Six Pence ranks 27th. Perique, too, is clearly popular, being a component of other top-selling tobaccos. Adding Perique to Squadron Leader does not really strike me as bold or risky. Adding the oft bemoaned Mixture 79 to Squadron leader and calling it Squadron Leader Special Edition would have been bold and risky, but adding Perique to Squadron Leader to return the blend to its original formulation seems to me neither bold nor risky. Returning Squadron Leader to its original formulation is just a good idea, a good idea that most pipe smokers will not experience because production was capped at 2000 tins.
I have to wonder how many buyers actually did purchase this tobacco. If the average purchase was two tins, then only 1000 pipe smokers got some of this blend. I suspect the average of tins purchased by a single customer was actually somewhat higher, further restricting the exposure for this blend.
The more I think about this, the more I feel "dinging" Smokingpipes.com is fair, their role as a sponsor of this site notwithstanding. I may be the lone customer alienated by this Special Edition, but if I am not, then the potential loss of business they face might outweigh the rush of purchases precipitated by their clever sales pitch. A small number of customers similarly steering business to other retailers, even for a short period, can have a fairly large impact.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Buroak, thanks for so politely expressing your opinion. I won't repeat my position or further try to convince you of it's merits. Let's agree to disagree and just pick on Captain Bob.
I see you're two posts away from posting your 1st K of messages. Maybe for post 1000, you can take a selfie of your self pressing the "Send Post" key. :lol:

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
brass, I think we can agree to politely disagree. We will be like Chesterton and Shaw. Best we do not argue over who will play the part of which. That disagreement may be less politely settled.
I would take a picture of myself making my 1000th post, but fortunately for those who would have to see my face, I am not currently in a place with the right equipment to do so. I trust you might be satisfied that Chesterton is mentioned in a milestone post.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Great initiative Sykes, I appreciate the effort and risk on the part of y'all at SP! I would like to see more forays like this, it could lead us to new blends (MIGHT I SUGGEST GAWITH FVF+BASMA/MAHALLA/Etc!!!!!!!!!!!!) If companies do an initial limited run and see the success, it may help to widen blend availability.
PS Get on that FVF Oriental flake. Seriously.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
The initiative shown is laudable, but without greater production numbers I do not see how such offerings "help to widen blend availability".

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I understand your position, but I do not see anything intrinsically special about Squadron Leader Special Edition. McClelland's Christmas Cheer is intrinsically special because it consists of tobacco from a single crop. Squadron Leader Special Edition is special in the sense that they took a well-known, popular blend, added a well-known, popular condimental leaf to it, and, most importantly, added some numbers to the label on the tin. The "specialness" of the Special Edition comes all, or nearly all, from the addition of those numbers.
And that's the point! I'll wait a couple of years and put my tins up on eBay for $100,000 apiece and retire. :mrgreen:

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
If the blend sells out quickly, perhaps SG will see the potential and put it in the full rotation, or perhaps it will be a steady SP exclusive. Maybe testing the waters with a limited release will lead to a fuller release of said blend.

Status
Not open for further replies.