PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
I ate it of course after ripping it apart with my bare hands. I then asked for a whisky, and they were like Waaaa? They gave me Grappo. Have you guys tried this shit? Horrible stuff.
Therein lies the rub. you should have asked for wine, like a Frappato.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Very parochial folks often have troubles with "different." Expecting a "New York" slice and getting a regional style pie in Northern Italy would be a shock and, to some, a disaster. Thank goodness for those types, the "Golden Arches" are ubiquitous but, watch out, the beef may be Irish.rotf

Reactions: SmokeClouds

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Have to ask ... any condiments, like honey?

I pick up ham occasionally and Easter is coming. I believe country ham is saltier.

Usually, I make sandwiches with brown/pub mustard and horseradish or horsey sauce. And we generally have leftover biscuits.
Nope. I like it hot off the grill. Country ham is definitely saltier. And it's grilled on flat pan so salt gets more intense. Red eye gravy can be served with it, but I rather drink my coffee.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Then there was poor old Nelson Rockefeller campaigning down south, and they brought him some grits and he put cream and sugar on them, thinking about cream of wheat. The proper topping is red eye gravy or butter and black pepper.

Smoked pork is smoked pork? Not according to the locals in east and western North Carolina. In the east the barbecue pork is basted on the pit with vinegar and hot peppers, and in the west, it is basted in a sauce with tomato, and the chopping is different, finer grain in the east. It sure tastes like a different dish to me.

In the South, McDonald's routinely offers country ham biscuits, but if you ask for them up North at a McDonalds, they don't know what you are talking about. Maybe these days ... I don't really know...but when I asked for them in the North they thought I was teasing.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Then there was poor old Nelson Rockefeller campaigning down south, and they brought him some grits and he put cream and sugar on them, thinking about cream of wheat. The proper topping is red eye gravy or butter and black pepper.

Smoked pork is smoked pork? Not according to the locals in east and western North Carolina. In the east the barbecue pork is basted on the pit with vinegar and hot peppers, and in the west, it is basted in a sauce with tomato, and the chopping is different, finer grain in the east. It sure tastes like a different dish to me.

In the South, McDonald's routinely offers country ham biscuits, but if you ask for them up North at a McDonalds, they don't know what you are talking about. Maybe these days ... I don't really know...but when I asked for them in the North they thought I was teasing.
Damned Yankees took over Chapel Hill. Stopped by their Mickey D and asked for ham biscuit. Was told they don't serve it, but they have Canadian Bacon. Go figure!

Reactions: FurCoat

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX
South can mean something other than US. I worked in northern Italy for a time and found the food selection very limited and bland. Traveled south and the culinary appeal opened up tremendously. Pasted below is a pic of my pizza that I ordered upon arrival to northern Italy. I was like, Whaaaa? They no slicey the pie and where is the meat? ?

View attachment 132788
Whaaaa?
It’s barely bigger than the fork!

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Hmmmm American cuisine may not be refined, but it sounds delish. Just one question: how can you prefer, as a Texan, fried chicken above brisket or even better slow cooked chuck? Your living in a state with 10 times more cows than humans....
Not refined??!!
Apparently you’ve never experienced a South Texas heuvos rancheros & pork chops, swimming in a heavenly char-roasted molcajete salsa, with refried beans, camp fries, fairly crispy homemade flour tortillas, and camp coffee.

• Love
Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
Not refined??!!
Apparently you’ve never experienced a South Texas heuvos rancheros & pork chops, swimming in a heavenly char-roasted molcajete salsa, with refried beans, camp fries, fairly crispy homemade flour tortillas, and camp coffee.

No, but that sounds delicious. I'm not only comparing american cuisine to fastfood, but I generally compare it to comfort food like barbecue.

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
Fast food = not southern
Barbecue masters will fight you when accused of not being refined.
Just WHAT do you consider ‘refined’ ?
Ever ate at a Michelin star place? That's what I call "refined", but still can not be everyone's preference or the epitomy of "refined". That's not to bodge any of the skills of any other chef which is not making "refined" food by anyones definition and I might take my words back when I eat proper barbecue. Sometimes not "refined" food is damn good. I was also not to trying to say southern food is "fast food", looking only at barbecue or some Creool stews which can take a damn long time and deserve to be savored and not only eaten.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
I've never thought of the big fast food places Southern food anymore than Taco Bell is Mexican food...LOL!!
Whether true of not, I have read that smoking meat originated from the need to make a tough cut tender by cooling for hours at low temps.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
I love southern cooking in general, particularly that of southern Louisiana, and especially that of New Orleans. Best in the world, or at least the parts of the world that my boots have trod. (Honorable mention to Hungarian and German cuisine. With beer. Lots of beer.) One thing I've never understood is the popularity of "city" ham over "country" ham in the United States. I mean, with those who've had both. Done right, the former blows the other off terra firma, and makes it a pale, bland imitation, putting it somewhere in the tripe category by comparison. Just my opinion, of course, but it's better than bacon, if such a thing is possible.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Ever ate at a Michelin star place? That's what I call "refined", but still can not be everyone's preference or the epitomy of "refined". That's not to bodge any of the skills of any other chef which is not making "refined" food by anyones definition and I might take my words back when I eat proper barbecue. Sometimes not "refined" food is damn good. I was also not to trying to say southern food is "fast food", looking only at barbecue or some Creool stews which can take a damn long time and deserve to be savored and not only eaten.
I understand exactly what you meant. While we have our fair share of Michelin Star restaurants here in the states, this thread was about Southern Cuisine, and your right, it is based around comfort food. Having said that, I'm excited to see the variety of restaurants and dishes being served today compared to say 50 years ago. With the influx of peoples from around the globe who migrate here to call the US home, it's only a matter of time till we see dishes and cooking methods that combine all the glorious foods from other countries to our own cities, towns, and homes. You can find plenty of refined food and dishes in our large cities via Michelin Star and Fine Dinning restaurants, but the south here in the US prides itself on home grown delectable delights that sooths the soul and warms the heart. I dare say in 100 years you will see new and delicious food being made and served in US restaurants and households that bogle the mind and pallet.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Hmmmm American cuisine may not be refined, but it sounds delish. Just one question: how can you prefer, as a Texan, fried chicken above brisket or even better slow cooked chuck? Your living in a state with 10 times more cows than humans....
I'm not entirely sure what "American" cuisine is. There are a great many regional cuisines and every one of them is refined, in the best sense. When I sit down to a plate of Huevos Rancheros at Tia Sophia in Santa Fé I'm experiencing the deep soul of Southwestern New Mexican cooking and there is something magical about their sopapillas.
Barbeque varies from region to region and people will fight over whose version is better. Chili is a national competition. All of this happens because there is refinement, in the best sense of the word, in the cooking of the various regions of the US.
It may not be served on a silver plate, but I'm not eating the silver plate.