PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Funny culture shock story. When stationed in Frankfurt, Germany I learned that Pom Frittes (French Fries) are served with Mayonnaise alongside instead of ketchup. — When I turned my nose up at the idea, the German Gal I was with asked me, “What do you make potato salad with? Do you use Ketchup? No you wouldn’t.”

I never forgot her words. She’s right!

Of course…. Ketchup on a Hot Dog is the Truth!
Frite sauce, which has a mayonnaise base, with Indonesian spices, is delicious!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Southern food is influenced by so many cultures it's mind boggling. Native American, African, Spanish (Spain), German, Scottish, English, I'm sure I missed a few. It's the melting pot of American cuisine.
Mexican, Cajun!

In any event, I'm not sure vinegar based potato salad is particularly Southern.

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
As a resident of Georgia, I'm very lucky to eat home cookin whenever I please. My family and my wife's family make great southern food, and there's no shortage of local joints that make great food also.

I enjoy fried chicken, fried livers or ox tail. With a side collard greens, black eyed peas, slaw and sweet tea. Of course a piece of cornbread, or a cat head. It's hard to pick just one meal, but I could eat that every day. Or BBQ.

A pipe is my favorite thing for dessert after a big meal like that. Kick my feet up and refill my sweet tea and light a bowl. Perfection....

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
South can mean something other than US. I worked in northern Italy for a time and found the food selection very limited and bland. Traveled south and the culinary appeal opened up tremendously. Pasted below is a pic of my pizza that I ordered upon arrival to northern Italy. I was like, Whaaaa? They no slicey the pie and where is the meat? ?

View attachment 132788
That doesn't look like anything I had in Northern Italy. Pizza changes from south to north. Americans are much more used to southern Italian styles, or made up "Italian" dishes like spaghetti with meatballs in red sauce.

MRW

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2022
Fort Worth Texas
I live in northern Italy, and I'm not sure I recognize that pizza; Maybe rocket, cherry tomatoes and parmesan flakes?
Very light pizza hahaha
I hated my stay there. I was depressed 10 months out of the year. Had to get my Italian drivers license after one year and it was not offered in English. The women are so ugly, except for Milan but don't dare drive there. Get pulled over at the whim of the police. I HATE loli-pops now. Country strapped for energy and beef.....just gross!

Tar Wheel

Lifer
May 23, 2020
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
I went to Varsity once while working in GA. Did not understand the hype. Who puts cole slaw on a hot dog? ?
I do. The classic Carolina dog consists of mustard, no-bean chili, coleslaw, and chopped onions. Extra points for a buttered, toasted bun. If you order a hot dog “all the way” around here, that’s how it will come.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
South can mean something other than US. I worked in northern Italy for a time and found the food selection very limited and bland. Traveled south and the culinary appeal opened up tremendously. Pasted below is a pic of my pizza that I ordered upon arrival to northern Italy. I was like, Whaaaa? They no slicey the pie and where is the meat? ?

View attachment 132788
This looks like a Neapolitan pizza... from Naples

Reactions: beefeater33