PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
North Carolina style pork pull when in that part of the country. Cajun somethin' in Louisiana, beef or Tex-Mex in Texas, Arkansas white bar-b-qued chicken. Having lived in some southern states I'd be hard pressed to ID "Southern" cooking. It's a big region with many local dishes and cuisines. I can eat low on the hog when such is offered. German in Texas is great. I remember hot dawgs at the Varsity during a visit to that part of the country.

MRW

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2022
Fort Worth Texas
North Carolina style pork pull when in that part of the country. Cajun somethin' in Louisiana, beef or Tex-Mex in Texas, Arkansas white bar-b-qued chicken. Having lived in some southern states I'd be hard pressed to ID "Southern" cooking. It's a big region with many local dishes and cuisines. I can eat low on the hog when such is offered. German in Texas is great. I remember hot dawgs at the Varsity during a visit to that part of the country.
I went to Varsity once while working in GA. Did not understand the hype. Who puts cole slaw on a hot dog? ?

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Isn't that a German dish? Anyway it can be damned good!
Yes, a German potato salad with vinegar added while the potatoes are warm so the flavors absorb.

Vinegar flavors also go well with bbq since the acid cuts the fatty richness (like pulled pork with a Carolina vinegar sauce made of just cider vinegar, black and crushed pepper, a squirt of ketchup, and a sprinkle of sugar).

MRW

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2022
Fort Worth Texas
South can mean something other than US. I worked in northern Italy for a time and found the food selection very limited and bland. Traveled south and the culinary appeal opened up tremendously. Pasted below is a pic of my pizza that I ordered upon arrival to northern Italy. I was like, Whaaaa? They no slicey the pie and where is the meat? ?

Pizza.JPG

Reactions: rmpeeps and FurCoat

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
South can mean something other than US. I worked in northern Italy for a time and found the food selection very limited and bland. Traveled south and the culinary appeal opened up tremendously. Pasted below is a pic of my pizza that I ordered upon arrival to northern Italy. I was like, Whaaaa? They no slicey the pie and where is the meat? ?

View attachment 132788
That looks delicious!!

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
Yes, a German potato salad with vinegar added while the potatoes are warm so the flavors absorb.

Vinegar flavors also go well with bbq since the acid cuts the fatty richness (like pulled pork with a Carolina vinegar sauce made of just cider vinegar, black and crushed pepper, a squirt of ketchup, and a sprinkle of sugar).
I use dark brown sugar for my sauce.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Isn't that a German dish? Anyway it can be damned good!

Funny culture shock story. When stationed in Frankfurt, Germany I learned that Pom Frittes (French Fries) are served with Mayonnaise alongside instead of ketchup. — When I turned my nose up at the idea, the German Gal I was with asked me, “What do you make potato salad with? Do you use Ketchup? No you wouldn’t.”

I never forgot her words. She’s right!

Of course…. Ketchup on a Hot Dog is the Truth!