PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
MRW,
When I was in Texas, a daily food truck fed us for a week. The side of the truck said, “A Ribeye a Day Keeps the Doctor Away”.

Later that week, they’d announced that they’d be more sensitive to vegetarians. Said, “We’re gonna serve chicken today!”

So apparently, at least in Texas, chicken identifies as a vegetable.

MRW

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2022
Fort Worth Texas
MRW,
When I was in Texas, a daily food truck fed us for a week. The side of the truck said, “A Ribeye a Day Keeps the Doctor Away”.

Later that week, they’d announced that they’d be more sensitive to vegetarians. Said, “We’re gonna serve chicken today!”

We have a lot of fish too for the pescatarians

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
MRW,

You are what you eat so grain fed chicken is a vegetable. Roll it in flour and fry it in vegetable oil and there you have it....fried chicken is a vegetable.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
My service had taken me all over the Southern United States. One thing that stays with me is a love of Boiled Peanuts, pronounced “Bald Peenits”

You haven’t lived until you’ve sat around with friends making a huge piles of wet peanut shells and drinking beer.

For those not in the know….

Take a large bag of green, in the shell fresh peanuts and boil them in salted water for at least 3 hours or until desired doneness. I like mine a little al dente, others like em soft as peas. But man, sliding those salty, soft, warm peanuts out of their shells. Great with beer. Tasty.

I believe this is the official snack of North Carolina. I was stationed in FayetteNam.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My favorite Southern restaurant is Mildred Council's "Mama Dips" in Chapel Hill, still run by her family now that Mildred is gone to a better place. That kitchen models perfection and simplicity. New cuisine has come to the South, riffing on the old dishes and ingredients to do something new, even in smaller cities like Kinston. But I do crave the traditional dishes.

Even barbecue today tends to expand the menu to various genres of barbecue from several other states. You have to look around for a true Eastern North Carolina barbecue plate with pulled pork slow cooked over wood in vinegar and red peppers with Brunswick stew, hush puppies, and non-sweet slaw.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
My favorite Southern restaurant is Mildred Council's "Mama Dips" in Chapel Hill, still run by her family now that Mildred is gone to a better place. That kitchen models perfection and simplicity. New cuisine has come to the South, riffing on the old dishes and ingredients to do something new, even in smaller cities like Kinston. But I do crave the traditional dishes.

Even barbecue today tends to expand the menu to various genres of barbecue from several other states. You have to look around for a true Eastern North Carolina barbecue plate with pulled pork slow cooked over wood in vinegar and red peppers with Brunswick stew, hush puppies, and non-sweet slaw.
Smoked meat is smoked meat. It is what sauce you want to use, vinegar /tomato that is the difference. I tend tp think that if the smoke is right, the sauce is inconsequential.

MRW

Jan 6, 2022
Fort Worth Texas

I have lived in central Texas all my life. Got my first taste of Brunswick stew while working in Marietta GA. I was like, "where has this been all my life?" Good stuff.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Scrapple is a Philadelphia favorite breakfast food. Just like it sounds, everything but the oink, pressed into blocks, sliced and fried up crispy outside and soft in the middle.

Now, I’m not certain, but I think there’s something called “Liver Mush” in the South which is similar and folks there put jams and jellies on it, sweet and savory.

The cuisine of the South is a heart attack on a plate.

MRW

Jan 6, 2022
Fort Worth Texas
Scrapple is a Philadelphia favorite breakfast food. Just like it sounds, everything but the oink, pressed into blocks, sliced and fried up crispy outside and soft in the middle.

Now, I’m not certain, but I think there’s something called “Liver Mush” in the South which is similar and folks there put jams and jellies on it, sweet and savory.

The cuisine of the South is a heart attack on a plate.
We call that Spam in a can