PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Too bad you probably cannot subscribe, living in Britland as you do!"

John, I watch so little TV it would be a waste of money for me to subscribe to any film streaming service. Buying discs as I do I can be selective and can watch them at my leisure, loan them out to friends and still own them. Should I find them not to my liking I can always bang them out on eBay and get some of my money back.

It's not much different from borrowing books from a library versus actually owning the books.

Regards,

Jay.?

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg
Jun 9, 2018
England
"Too bad you probably cannot subscribe, living in Britland as you do!"

John, I watch so little TV it would be a waste of money for me to subscribe to any film streaming service. Buying discs as I do I can be selective and can watch them at my leisure, loan them out to friends and still own them. Should I find them not to my liking I can always bang them out on eBay and get some of my money back.

It's not much different from borrowing books from a library versus actually owning the books.

Regards,

Jay.?

I've got a fairly big dvd collection, well over 1000 disks . Mostly UK comedy and drama from the 1970's & 1980's. You name something from that time and there's a good chance I've got it.

In the last couple of years I've been using Netflix and Amazon Prime streaming because it's so easy. No disks or cases to store, just click a button and you're off.
I watched The League Of Gentlemen on Netflix and thought how clever I was not to have wasted cash buying it on DVD. Which I nearly did the year before.

Then there was all this recent woke bullshit, and they started going after old shows. Fawlty Towers, Little Britain and The League Of Gentlemen were 3 that either had episodes removed from various streaming services, or were taken down completely.
Here's a snippet I copied from a news source:

John Cleese has laid into the "cowardly and gutless" BBC after an episode of Fawlty Towers was temporarily removed from a BBC-owned streaming platform. A 1975 episode titled The Germans was taken off UKTV's streaming service because it contains "racial slurs".

It brought home to me that if you only have streaming services, then you're at the whim of the constantly offended. All it takes is a few thousand of the outrage mob to get together on Twitter and decide your favourite comedy isn't PC enough, and your favourite show may be gone. These massive companies often bend over at the first sign of trouble.
But if you own a DVD of the same show, it's yours. It doesn't matter if other people don't like it. You can lend it out, sell it, whatever.

It just made me realise, that's all. It'd never crossed my mind that classics like The League Of Gentlemen or Fawlty Towers could suddenly dissappear.

There's a lot to be said for actually owning the physical media.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Good point.

But I made the decision to not own films or series, and have other sources for non-PC stuff. Some streaming stuff you can buy if you wish.

And, Jay, FWIW, I count watching DVDs/streaming/BRDs as watching TV!

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
Jay, tell us how you liked "Justified" once you've watched it.

The series retains so much of Elmore Leonard's approach to the humor in his characters, it would be interesting to hear the take from one on the other side of the "big ditch".

Reactions: mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"if you only have streaming services, then you're at the whim of the constantly offended....."

Precisely Chris, give me a hard copy any day. It's no different from this 'cloud' storage nonsense. All it take is for someone to cripple a server somewhere and whoosh....there goes all your stored family photos etc.

Al I did look into Fargo the series and that too reviews well on Amazon. One more for me to think about.

Regards,

Jay.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Gecko

Can't Leave
Dec 6, 2019
Sweden
"
Al I did look into Fargo the series and that too reviews well on Amazon. One more for me to think about.

Regards,

Jay.
Have you seen the movie Fargo? It's a masterpiece.

Never could get into the series Fargo, only saw a few minutes of the first episode as it felt like watching someone trying to repaint the sistine chapel.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Jay, tell us how you liked "Justified" once you've watched it."

Will do Prndl though it may be a while. At the moment I'm coming to the end of Line Of Duty, then onto Generation Kill then Flags Of Our Fathers/Letter From Iwo Jima.

Regards,

Jay.?

Reactions: jpmcwjr

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
The first season of Fargo was good. I tried the 2nd season and gave up before the half way mark.
We just finished sons of anarchy today. It was good and I will watch it again eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.