PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
After my neighbour highly recommended I watch the Band Of Brothers 10 disc box set I read many Amazon reviews which were largely positive so I bought it. I also stumbled upon The Pacific 6 disc box set and that too was hugely popular in the reviws so bought that too. Both arrive next week.

He has also been banging on about watching Sons Of Anarchy on Netflix which I don't subscribe to so I looked it up on Amazon. Blimey, it's a 30 disc set! However the reviews are very mixed, some saying poor story lines and bad acting whereas others are the entire opposite leaving me puzzled. Also, some reviews claim it has been highly edited to cut out scenes of violence, sex etc.

So I turn to the film experts of Pipesmagazine to guide me. Is this massive DVD set worth buying or no?

BTW I did find the Boardwalk Empire, Deadwood and Breaking Bad box sets to be hugely entertaining after recommendations from this forum ?

Regards,

Jay.?

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Gecko

Can't Leave
Dec 6, 2019
Sweden
As I remember it the first few seasons of SoA are god but not great. Interesting characters and overall entertaining and well worth a watch if you are interested in the outlaw biker theme of the show.
The last few seasons are incredibly boring as it turns into a soap opera with endless musical montages.

I'd recommend El Camino: a Breaking Bad movie if you haven't seen it already.

Sonorisis

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 24, 2019
The absolute best series that's ever been produced is "The Killing." Everyone I know who's seen it says two things: 1) it's the best TV they've ever seen, and 2) it ruined everything else because nothing measures up to it. Marielle Enos and Joel Kinnaman put out some of the best acting you'll ever see.

It is a three-season series that is on Netflix. Stay with it until the end because the payoff is riveting.

You can thank me later.

Last edited:
Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"The Shield and Hill Street Blues are both available to binge watch for free on More 4."

Chris, I just bought The Shield box set and a double disc set called Flag Of Our Fathers & Letter From Iwo Jima today!

Am thinking on a huge 55 disc set called '24'. Also considering the Sopranos, both have great reviews.

Regards,

Jay.?

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I watched the first few episodes of SoA. I found them poorly written and badly acted.
The dialogue doesn't work, it isn't written like something someone would actually say.
That woman from Married With Children is not a good actor, and neither is anyone else, really.
It is possible that later seasons are better, but I'm not going to waste my time trying to find out.
I've always wanted to check out The Sopranos. Haven't gotten around to ot yet.

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
If you can find them, the "Justified" dvd sets are also great ones to binge. I liked it better than "Deadwood" and I thought "Deadwood" was pretty damn good.

It's based on Elmore Leonard's work so, there is that.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
SoA had its ups and downs, and IMO it wasn’t all that noteworthy.

The last episode actually made me laugh out loud it was so ridiculous. It was like the writers smacked the viewers in the head with a baseball bat that said “METAPHOR” on it and then repeatedly asked “did you get it? Did you get the metaphor?????!!!!????”

That being said, I did watch the entire run, and a couple of the seasons were very good.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy
Status
Not open for further replies.