PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I enjoyed SOA and would recommend it. I also liked six feet under, dexter, Sopranos and true blood. True blood got a bit too far out there for me after season 6 I think.

Reactions: dcon

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"I watched the first few episodes of SoA. I found them poorly written and badly acted.
The dialogue doesn't work, it isn't written like something someone would actually say."

That and other similar comments (on top of the variable Amazon reviews) have decided it for me....it's a no buy set, thanks guys for that, you have saved me a few bob.

Seanv, I did look up Dexter earlier in the day and it certainly sounds like it might be a good choice so that is one I shall seriously consider, thanks buddy.

Regards,

Jay.?

Reactions: workman
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
"The Shield and Hill Street Blues are both available to binge watch for free on More 4."

Chris, I just bought The Shield box set and a double disc set called Flag Of Our Fathers & Letter From Iwo Jima today!

Am thinking on a huge 55 disc set called '24'. Also considering the Sopranos, both have great reviews.

Regards,

Jay.?

Obviously, you have internet. Why don't you stream all of these vs buying the DVD s?

Reactions: jpmcwjr and dcon

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I'll add Chicago Fire to the list of must see TV...actually only Season 2, Episode 7 ("No Regrets") is must see TV.
Why? Because it was filmed about 10 minutes from our house and my wife I were extras. We played injured train passengers. We were on the set 9-10 hours a day for four days and ended up with about 1 minute of screen time.

It was really interesting to see the whole production of a program. We had to check-in at 6 AM, go to wardrobe and change our clothes, go to make-up for our injuries/wounds and sit around between scenes until they called for the extras. The catered breakfasts and lunches were good and it was a fun experience.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I couldn't find it on Netflix. Sounds good..I'd like to see it.
I tried to watch "The Killing" and it just didn't hold my interest in the opening episodes. Perhaps I'll revisit it.

Here is the Netflix link:

Reactions: jpmcwjr and scloyd

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Obviously, you have internet. Why don't you stream all of these vs buying the DVD s?"

Hoosier, to do so would mean signing up to one or more streaming services but I watch so little TV and there being only me in the house it is cheaper for me to purchase anything I wish to watch on DVD, hence my asking the forum's recommendations before I put my hand in my pocket.

Regards,

Jay.?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
To keep my joints functioning, I don't think I can binge watch anything, but I have to admit, The Sons of Anarchy is an evocative name ... it brings to mind potential jokes about them being the Boy Scouts or an honorary fraternity for accounting students. (No rap on the Boy Scouts ... my dad was a Life Scout, and I was a failed Cub Scout but had a good time).

Reactions: jpmcwjr and BROBS

LOREN

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2019
Illinois -> Florida
"The Wire" started out really great for for me but the last few episodes really petered out.
"The Soprano's" was good, not as good as "Breaking Bad" for me.
"Better Call Saul" is really good.
"El Camino" was good too.

Reactions: lawdawg

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
Sopranos was the best for me.I believe I have watched that series 4 times. Band of Brothers I have also watched several times.
Surprised no one has mentioned Rescue Me, another great series.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and workman

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I just bought Generation Kill box set and Over There box set. Heard of neither but both have good reviews.

"Better Call Saul" is really good."

Loren, I really wanted to buy that set but alas can only get seasons 1 to 3 as a set, I want the whole 5. That said, if I wait long enough the proposed (but halted) series 6 will appear in a complete box set one day.

Also got the entire Line Of Duty set arriving today. Not sure if that made it across the pond but it's a terrific British series about an anti police corruption squad.

Regards,

Jay.?

Status
Not open for further replies.