PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jahman7

Might Stick Around
Jul 25, 2024
Texas
I enjoy both. When I smoke alone it's great "me time," which allows me to think freely or not think at all. It's great for de-stressing and just relaxing. I'll sit and listening to music, watch TV, read or sometimes just sit outside on the porch and watch the world go by. It's great for re-setting myself for the day or week ahead. I also have a few friends that I got into pipe smoking. One of them I smoke with usually once a week, and we've doing so for about the last 10 years or so. My other friends will hang out with me off and on when our schedules allow. We'll sit around and talk about different tobacco's, pipes, and/or cigars, sports, or whatever comes up at the time. This too is relaxing and is good for de-stressing.
I used to enjoy the comradery like this with a friend who moved away several years ago and has never returned. Miss those times.

Jahman7

Might Stick Around
Jul 25, 2024
Texas
There are several pipe clubs in Texas that I know of. If you're willing to drive a little bit, I bet there's one near enough to you. Unless you're in a super remote part of the state I guess.
Enlighten me. I'm on the mid-coast of Texas.

K.E. Powell

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
Both. Solitary smoking gets the lion's share of my time, but that is just a matter of common sense; company is intermittent, but I am with myself wherever I go.
I do find cigars to be more conducive to a social setting, especially in a shop setting where there are many people and the conversation is lively. The pipe requires a bit more attention and care, so exuberant chin wagging can get in the way of enjoying the pipe. But on a cool summer's night by a campfire with close friends, where we are just chilled out? Hard to beat a pipe or cigar. Good friends, a good fire, good tobacco, and a good drink is the most perfect recipe for happiness that I know.

Jahman7

Might Stick Around
Jul 25, 2024
Texas
Both. Solitary smoking gets the lion's share of my time, but that is just a matter of common sense; company is intermittent, but I am with myself wherever I go.
I do find cigars to be more conducive to a social setting, especially in a shop setting where there are many people and the conversation is lively. The pipe requires a bit more attention and care, so exuberant chin wagging can get in the way of enjoying the pipe. But on a cool summer's night by a campfire with close friends, where we are just chilled out? Hard to beat a pipe or cigar. Good friends, a good fire, good tobacco, and a good drink is the most perfect recipe for happiness that I know.
Couldn't agree more...

Reactions: K.E. Powell

warren99

Lifer
Aug 16, 2010
California
Solitary except on Saturdays when I meet some friends at a local cigar lounge. The owners don‘t mind if I smoke my pipe, provided I buy a cigar first.

Reactions: BlueMaxx

thomasw

Lifer
Dec 5, 2016
Solitary sometimes. But often my wife and my dog sit with me, which I like. Rarely I smoke with a few close friends who also smoke their own pipes.

litup

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
Enlighten me. I'm on the mid-coast of Texas.
I know there are clubs in San Antonio, Austin, "North Texas" (Dallas/Ft. Worth), and some smaller "floating" clubs. You should also try attending the Texas pipe show in November. That would be a great chance to meet other pipe smokers and gather some intel on clubs that might not be publishing their details on the internet.

BlueMaxx

Can't Leave
Feb 7, 2020
Indiana
Solitary.
I never have a chance to smoke with others, but that is ok.
I like being out in nature and just hearing the critters, water and enjoying a good bowl.

ChessNut

Lurker
Apr 14, 2020
New York City
I smoke my pipes by solo. For two.main reasons. The first being I have only one other friend who smokes one. The second is I tend to reflect and get lodtt in my thoughts when I smoke my pipes.
Cigars on the other hand are a social event. I have lots of friends who smoke them and we have a blast. I like having the best of both worlds.

Reactions: K.E. Powell