PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

RPK

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 30, 2023
Central NJ, USA
Currently solo while sitting on my deck. A few years back when bird hunting or running my dog in the woods I'd enjoy a bowl while out in nature. Had a few favorite spots on downed trees. God that was great in the Fall or winter months....... miss it a lot.

Green Hill Hermit

Can't Leave
Feb 1, 2023
Alone. I am fortunate to live in a place that segregates me from the general public. However I went to Ashville nc today, it's about forty five minutes away from me, and it is like going to a zoo for weirdos. It's the perfect place to go if you start to wonder if you need human friends. No.

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
Almost exclusively alone. I'd love to be bowl alongside someone who's as interested in pipes and tobacco as I am.
Same here. No judgment toward people who smoke a pipe to get away from everyone else, but my solitary smoking is mostly a function of not knowing anyone else in the area who shares this hobby. Perhaps I should try starting a club...

jbfrady

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
Both.

All drugs impact the user based on "set and setting." Your mindset, plus your physical and emotional surroundings, determine the experience.

Having a bourbon alone after a long day is a great way to relax, but it's totally different than having a drink with friends, despite alcohol's involvement in both. The same holds true for coffee. A morning cup on the run affects you differently than getting a coffee with friends.

Smoking alone makes for a peaceful and pensive experience, smoking while driving cuts down on boredom, and smoking with friends leads to deep, meaningful, or fun-but-trivial discussions. Each has its place.

The Lord of the Rings was a fantastical accounting of Tolkien's experience in WWI, in which he and his compatriots traveled the countryside, smoking and bullshitting wherever they stopped. Tolkien smoked alone too, but it's his tale of companionship that constantly brings new smokers into the fold.

lvacgar

Lurker
Feb 27, 2015
Sarasota, Florida
Social when possible. Have a largish number of pipe and cigar smoking brethren, but it’s not always easy to make time. Most memorable smokes are always at out quarterly BBQ’s, and the occasional card game or trip to a cigar bar. Blessed to have a fantastic one close. Also do an annual pilgrimage to Ybor City which incorporates a whole day and multiple cigar joints and restaurants. I usually smoke a pipe but grab a stick occasionally.

Jahman7

Might Stick Around
Jul 25, 2024
Texas
I would love to meet up with some pipe smokers on occasion (like once a month), but alas, they don't invite me. :P... because I don't know any in my are who would enjoy the meetup like I would.

In the end, however, I'm generally a solitary person who enjoys smoking my pipe on my front porch - consistently with my princess - the dog, and occasionally with my queen - the wife.

Reactions: AreBee

litup

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
I would love to meet up with some pipe smokers on occasion (like once a month), but alas, they don't invite me. :P... because I don't know any in my are who would enjoy the meetup like I would.

In the end, however, I'm generally a solitary person who enjoys smoking my pipe on my front porch - consistently with my princess - the dog, and occasionally with my queen - the wife.
There are several pipe clubs in Texas that I know of. If you're willing to drive a little bit, I bet there's one near enough to you. Unless you're in a super remote part of the state I guess.

KruegerFlap

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2021
Ohio
I prefer to smoke alone, just me, the pipe, and tobacco. Sometimes the wife will join in. I always smoke at home, either on the porch, the back deck, or while doing things around the house.

Reactions: AreBee
Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I enjoy both. When I smoke alone it's great "me time," which allows me to think freely or not think at all. It's great for de-stressing and just relaxing. I'll sit and listening to music, watch TV, read or sometimes just sit outside on the porch and watch the world go by. It's great for re-setting myself for the day or week ahead. I also have a few friends that I got into pipe smoking. One of them I smoke with usually once a week, and we've doing so for about the last 10 years or so. My other friends will hang out with me off and on when our schedules allow. We'll sit around and talk about different tobacco's, pipes, and/or cigars, sports, or whatever comes up at the time. This too is relaxing and is good for de-stressing.