Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

dottlejockey

Part of the Furniture Now
When i was younger and lived in the city i used to smoke with my employees on the job and then hang out with friends at a local lounge in the evenings. This went on for over a decade. Anymore i live rural and it's mostly solo here in my personal lounge. When there's company around they just have to deal or join in, cuz the pipe's gonna be lit and it isn't going to be an aromatic.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
I like to smoke alone, I am more concentrated, thoughts become tobacco aroma, ie smoke. It is the zen of the smoker. I have no friends who smoke a pipe, you hardly ever see people smoking in the street. Smoking alone, is like sailing with a canoe, on a beautiful lake, crystal clear, listening to the wind in the treetops, everything is relaxing, peace, calm ........... I could be Alaska, but I have no small plane.

BingBong

Apr 26, 2024
London UK
Asocial, I'd say. Living on a fairly busy London street, when I smoke outside to catch the sun and relax, there's always the chance that someone stops to talk. Sometimes that's ok, sometimes not, but it means suspending pipe enjoyment for the duration generally. If I'm just getting to the tastiest bit of my favourite blend, I don't need the disturbance lol.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
My wife would sit outside with me occasionally when I smoked a pipe but since she passed, I am primarily a solitary smoker. The exceptions: The monthly pipe club meeting, when one of my sons are visiting (both pipe smokers) or when I go to Whiskey & Ash, which has a big sign on the door "No cigarettes, No Vapes". It's a cool place boasting around 80 different bottles of whisky or whiskey and a walk-in humidor for cigars. Pipe smokers are always welcomed in there also.

AreBee

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2024
Farmington, Connecticut USA
Most of my local friends don't share my passion for cigars or pipes so I am a solitary smoker for the most part. A drink, a little music going on the back patio, I'm all good. The Warden or my daughter will join me on occasion if it isn't too cold or too buggy. I greatly enjoy the monthly pipe club evenings though.

img_3090-jpeg.310655

MartyA

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2024
Iowa
I smoke alone. Once a day, I go outside with a churchwarden pipe and an old book and read on my swinging chair. The pipe makes me slow down, and I enjoy reading things I probably wouldn't have the patience for inside, dealing with daily life. I call my little respites outside with my pipe "running away from home."

RookieGuy80

Jul 6, 2023
Maryland, United States
To bastardize some lyrics - when I smoke alone I prefer to be by myself, unless these two are handy!

View attachment 327557
Is that an English setter? Beautiful smoking buddies either way.

To answer the question, there's not much social I do. I'll smoke a pipe while I'm out, but I don't really smoke with people. Because I'm not usually with people.

BayouGhost

Might Stick Around
Apr 10, 2024
Louisiana
Alone in the woods usually or on a small plot of land that I plant with seasonal crops that has a fallen tree and it makes a great sitting location next to the creek. I will, on occasion have cigars with some close friends on a back porch or similar. I tend to avoid the public with pipes as people have been conditioned to think they are ass odd as a unicycle or that you are smoking narcotics in them. I had to cops walk up to me in the completely empty park because someone across the street thought I was smoking crack or something and reported it. In their defense, I have probably seen more crack smokers lately than pipe smokers.

Jul 7, 2024
Chicago USA
Alone in the woods usually or on a small plot of land that I plant with seasonal crops that has a fallen tree and it makes a great sitting location next to the creek. I will, on occasion have cigars with some close friends on a back porch or similar. I tend to avoid the public with pipes as people have been conditioned to think they are ass odd as a unicycle or that you are smoking narcotics in them. I had to cops walk up to me in the completely empty park because someone across the street thought I was smoking crack or something and reported it. In their defense, I have probably seen more crack smokers lately than pipe smokers.

Same for me - I live in Chicago and spend a lot of time in Detroit for work. Cannabis is legal in both places - I don’t have a problem with that, but it makes me feel odd smoking a pipe on a walk in public, as most folks likely think a youngish man like myself is smoking pot walking down the street…

BayouGhost

Might Stick Around
Apr 10, 2024
Louisiana
Same for me - I live in Chicago and spend a lot of time in Detroit for work. Cannabis is legal in both places - I don’t have a problem with that, but it makes me feel odd smoking a pipe on a walk in public, as most folks likely think a youngish man like myself is smoking pot walking down the street…
Excuse my spelling error. I have exceeded the time to correct it.

Reactions: Danimal92sport