PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
R ---
It's a protracted process called "harvesting", not a binary switch. a.k.a. the "ride the sunk cost horse as long as reasonably possible" plan.
In another few years even the cigarettes will be gone.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
If they do re license the name to someone then my plan would go straight into the shitter, I didn't think about that, glad it was mentioned by MSO, thanks buddy.

rhoadsie

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2013
Virginia, USA
It's a protracted process called "harvesting", not a binary switch. a.k.a. the "ride the sunk cost horse as long as reasonably possible" plan.
In another few years even the cigarettes will be gone.
Thanks georged
That's why I'm not a business major.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Irony? I see nothing ironic in making money catering to smokers and then leaving them without a favored product when the product no longer makes sufficient moneys.
Ironic would be if Alfred Dunhill had begat and funded the "American Cancer Society" years after the Dunhill pipes/blends/cigarettes/cigars came into being, only for the society to abet the discovery that smoking caused some cancers. That would indeed be ironic!

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
The tobacco side of Dunhill is kind of a separate animal, licensed?/leased? to British American Tobacco.
I thought the name was sold the 90's when the when the Dunhill logo went from the tails to the script in the Rothman's era. I'm sure there was some common ownership but I thought it ended with Richemont around the master settlement time.
What is the estimate of the end ? 2018 or 19 ?
Who knows? I still hope this was done to clean up the books when they bought Reynolds last year and this will get forgotten.
Dunhill went all in on their expensive, status-connected, "snob-appeal" marketing bet a long time ago.
Yeah in 1907 and sadly that little white spot been working on me since 1983. 8O

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
The subject of cancer is a vast universe of irony all by itself.
But the scapegoat of tobacco has somehow been the only thing necessary to normalize all of that irony...which is quite ironic.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Plenty of blends with less visibility disappear with no warning. I assume a number of people will buy up Dunhill blends with the idea of aging and selling them later at a substantial markup as "pre-transition," or as treasured extinct blends. As long as tobacco can be sold on ebay or elsewhere on the internet, this might be a profit maker. Or pipe shows. If the blends slowly fade, so might the allure, but I think there will be buyers with a strong longing for many years to come.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I am confused by the idea that production of pipe tobacco is ending because Dunhill wants to distance itself from tobacco, but will continue to produce cigarettes. Huh?
But just to give another kick to this dead horse, yes stock up if you like Dunhill blends or as a potential investment, but try out other blends as well.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I am confused by the idea that production of pipe tobacco is ending because Dunhill wants to distance itself from tobacco, but will continue to produce cigarettes. Huh?
I think the premise (heard floated a number of times) is simply wrong. It's either too small or too unprofitable (or both) to fit into their corporate designs.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
mike: They are luxury cigarettes and are profitable. Pipe blends are not. The cigarettes will go away when they are no longer profitable. The Dunhill cigarette is nothing like the common grocery store coffin nails. I smoke MCDs, another luxury cigarette (Just sold to BAT I believe.), that bears little in common with Marlboro or the other, more common brands. More expensive, no chemical infused paper, higher class tobacco. The difference between Boone's Farm and a great Chateauneuf du Pape.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
When I lived in Europe a long time ago, smoked Dunhill's & Players cigs. Were the best, one filtered & one not.

Pipe tobaccos...Dunhill's are one of my favorites.

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
I agree with mso, these seem to be a well-liked brand, no matter which iteration/blender was making them. Seeing as how tobacco won't be getting cheaper in the future, I plan to stock up on those blends which I do prefer (EMP, Aperitif, Dark Flake) and throw in a couple extras on each order to cellar.
They'll either make great gifts to fellow pipe smokers or someone who's jonesing for a blend from yesteryear.

spartan99

Can't Leave
Mar 10, 2017
If they do re license the name to someone then my plan would go straight into the shitter....
You'd probably be fine. Many pipe smokers would immediately declare the new version far inferior to the previous one and begin seeking old tins.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
A world without Royal Yacht is simply an empty ball of dust spinning in space.
I hope they reconsider.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Oh look! A contact form. Here's my letter:
Howdy,
I understand that you own the Dunhill brand of pipe tobacco. I also understand that it seems less prestigious and sells less than other products in the Dunhill line.
I would like to appeal to your better common sense. Pipe smoking, cigar smoking, fountain pens, fine clothing, firearms, outdoor sports, and fine arts cluster around the audience you desire: the intelligent, educated, relatively wealthy and independent person.
The Dunhill brand of pipe tobacco is a flagship for everything you represent, ESPECIALLY as pipe smoking is reserved for the thoughtful few and invisible to the masses.
I hope that you will continue this excellent line of tobaccos.
Maybe they will see the light.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015