Sticks of Chicagoland
Not sure of age, can anyone help?
Football - (Made in England) near bowl
Sasieni
FOUR DOT
LONDON MADE
PAT No 5.....20
"REGENT"
Also - Note the smaller of the 4 dots towards the bowl. Is this normal? Replacement maybe? Has a sort of blue hue to it as well.
IMG-6050.jpgIMG-6048.jpgIMG-6045.jpg

Reactions: cshubhra

rackedpipes

Lurker
Nov 11, 2023
Coat-of-Arms (Sasieni sub-brand) straight billiard, number 212. The engraving on it says this on one side of the shank says “Coat of Arms” “London Made” and “212”. On the other side it says “Made in England”.

Oddly, considering it has 212 engraved on it, it is the same exact shape of Comoy's Blue Riband Lovat (212).

Stem has an S in a circle.

Really good looking pipe. Someone smoked it plenty. Love the unique sizes of the shank and stem.

Do you agree that this is just a standard Coat-of-Arms 212 (couldn't find that model reference number system anywhere so as far as I'm concerned it's just the code they used for this pipe). It's just kind of weird that it's the exact same number as the Comoy's Blue Riband Lovat (212).
unnamed.jpg
unnamed (1).jpg

rackedpipes

Lurker
Nov 11, 2023
Don’t quote me on this, but I think Cadogan made pipes with the same shape numbers but stamped with different brand names

Nice Lovat by the way
Thank you! You mean Cadogan possibly made pipes for Sasieni's 'Coat-of-Arms' sub-brand and put Comoy's 212 lovat number on it? For what reason, a little inside joke?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Coat-of-Arms (Sasieni sub-brand) straight billiard, number 212. The engraving on it says this on one side of the shank says “Coat of Arms” “London Made” and “212”. On the other side it says “Made in England”.

Oddly, considering it has 212 engraved on it, it is the same exact shape of Comoy's Blue Riband Lovat (212).

Stem has an S in a circle.

Really good looking pipe. Someone smoked it plenty. Love the unique sizes of the shank and stem.

Do you agree that this is just a standard Coat-of-Arms 212 (couldn't find that model reference number system anywhere so as far as I'm concerned it's just the code they used for this pipe). It's just kind of weird that it's the exact same number as the Comoy's Blue Riband Lovat (212).
View attachment 260723
View attachment 260722
Can you post pictures of the nomenclature? Pipepedia shows two examples:

This COM does not look like a Sasieni stamp:

1699788747429.png

This one is a Sasieni COM, at least as we know it.

1699788792757.png

"Who Made That Pipe" shows Coat of Arms as unknown.
Could there have been two different Coat of Arms brands? (would explain the odd shape number).

Reactions: orlandofurioso

EchoPlex

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 9, 2023
Seattle, WA
Here's a Sasieni Four Dot Brooklands I recently found in a small-town consignment shop. It is the first and only time I have ever found a nice pipe for a bargain at a consignment shop/antique mall. I could see the rustication from across the room and, as I walked up to the case, saw the baby blue dots, which got my heart racing. It's weird because all the other pipes were trash. It cleaned up really nice and is now my favorite pipe in my collection.

If anyone can help me date this pipe, it would be greatly appreciated.

Sasieni-1.jpg

Sasieni-2.jpg
Sasieni-3.jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Here's a Sasieni Four Dot Brooklands I recently found in a small-town consignment shop. It is the first and only time I have ever found a nice pipe for a bargain at a consignment shop/antique mall. I could see the rustication from across the room and, as I walked up to the case, saw the baby blue dots, which got my heart racing. It's weird because all the other pipes were trash. It cleaned up really nice and is now my favorite pipe in my collection.

View attachment 260833

View attachment 260834
View attachment 260835
Incredible find! With that nomenclature, the production date ranges from the late 1940's to 1979, unfortunately broad.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Thank you! You mean Cadogan possibly made pipes for Sasieni's 'Coat-of-Arms' sub-brand and put Comoy's 212 lovat number on it? For what reason, a little inside joke?
Cadogan owned the brands, so they could do what they like

Can you post pictures of the nomenclature? Pipepedia shows two examples:

This COM does not look like a Sasieni stamp:

View attachment 260756

This one is a Sasieni COM, at least as we know it.

View attachment 260757

"Who Made That Pipe" shows Coat of Arms as unknown.
Could there have been two different Coat of Arms brands? (would explain the odd shape number).

The Sasieni Coat of Arms Bulldog (top photo) has a shape number 331 C - the same as a Comoy bent Bulldog

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands

View attachment 260833

View attachment 260834
View attachment 260835
Wonderful pipe, congrats !
Good job on the cleaning !

Reactions: EchoPlex

EchoPlex

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 9, 2023
Seattle, WA
Here's a Sasieni one-dot I found in a shop yesterday. Having one of the most recognizable/identifiable rustications (imo) of any pipe, I was surprised when the shop owner had no idea what I was talking about when I asked to see the Sasieni in their estate pipe section. They said they had no idea who made the pipe because the name was cut off and unreadable. Luckily, for me, they had it priced as a no-name generic estate.

Sasieni-1-dot-1.jpg

Someone please correct me if wrong, but I believe this is an early one dot, pre-transition, No. 40 from 1919-1924. It has a stinger. The bottom portion of the Fishtail logo can be seen.

Sasieni-1-dot-2.jpg
Sasieni-1-dot-3.jpg

It is in great condition, lightly-smoked, and light as a twig. I am quickly becoming addicted to Sasienis. There's just something about them that draws me to them.

EchoPlex

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 9, 2023
Seattle, WA
After researching my pipe a bit more, I am now uncertain of it's age. There seems to be some debate as to how long the one-dot was used... The thing that confuses me is the lack of patent no. and the "MADE IN ENGLAND" is straight, not oval. Perhaps they could not fit the oval in such a tight space? Any help pinning the age range down would be greatly appreciated. Here are a couple more pics:

Sasieni-1-dot-4.jpg
Sasieni-1-dot-5.jpg

The shape number and stinger seem to match the ones depicted in this old advertisement on Pipedia (https://pipedia.org/images/4/4b/SasieniShapes.jpg):

SasieniShapes.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
After researching my pipe a bit more, I am now uncertain of it's age. There seems to be some debate as to how long the one-dot was used... The thing that confuses me is the lack of patent no. and the "MADE IN ENGLAND" is straight, not oval. Perhaps they could not fit the oval in such a tight space? Any help pinning the age range down would be greatly appreciated. Here are a couple more pics:

View attachment 264856
View attachment 264857

The shape number and stinger seem to match the ones depicted in this old advertisement on Pipedia (https://pipedia.org/images/4/4b/SasieniShapes.jpg):

View attachment 264861
Given the fact that we can see that portions of the stamping area are cut off by the rustication I wouldn't let the lack of a patent worry you to much. It otherwise looks like a proper 1920-25ish Sasieni to me, and a very nice one at that.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Given the fact that we can see that portions of the stamping area are cut off by the rustication I wouldn't let the lack of a patent worry you to much. It otherwise looks like a proper 1920-25ish Sasieni to me, and a very nice one at that.
Agreed on those points and date. What an incredible find! 100 years old, and looks like it was made recently.
All Sasieni's had "London Made", under the name. They just didn't leave enough room for the full nomenclature stamp.