SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

@cshubhra,
I was hoping that you and a couple of the other Sadieni collectors would chime in.
This is only my 2nd Sasieni and I was so excited at seeing the "Sasieni Fish stamp" that I jumped on it without reading the description of the pipe.
I was expecting some dots, but there are none.
The bowl looks hardly smoked, and the stem is a perfect fit, so if it a replacement, it might have been made by Sadieni. The button is very well cut.
I'm hoping that one of the members may be familiar, or have example(s) so the Sasieni Ladies Pipes View attachment 97004
Regardless of the stem … it is a fantastic pipe ?
Also the stem looks Sasieni to me, but probably a later era Sasieni

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Also the stem looks Sasieni to me, but probably a later era Sasieni
Thank you.
I buy pipes pretty much to suit my tastes, without any thought to their "collectibility".
As both my sons are non-smokers, any thoughts on leaving my pipes for posterity is a pipe dream ?
Incidentally this pipe cost me less than the postage, so regardless of absence of dots, I'm well pleased with this purchase.

Thank you.
I buy pipes pretty much to suit my tastes, without any thought to their "collectibility".
As both my sons are non-smokers, any thoughts on leaving my pipes for posterity is a pipe dream ?
Incidentally this pipe cost me less than the postage, so regardless of absence of dots, I'm well pleased with this purchase.
It willl be a fantastic smoker ?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
And one more. Patent Eight Dot "Barclay". Sasieni only made the Eight Dot from about 1929-1939. They didn't start putting shape (town) names on until 1935, so that pits this one at 1935-1939.View attachment 63858View attachment 63859
Actually, Sasieni made 8 dots later than 1939. This one is hallmarked for 1941:
92S1Kcw.jpg

Ux4Gx8W.jpg

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
That's interesting! Everything I've read said they stopped production of them during the war.
that could still hold true,the war ended in 1945 so sables 1941 pipe is before that date.
Indeed the war didnt start for the US until December 1941 so sables pipe is pre war;)

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
That's interesting! Everything I've read said they stopped production of them during the war.
It's a matter of some debate. It certainly went on later than 1939. Some sources I've read suggest that 8 dots continued until 1946, when the nomenclature went through a remake. We'll just have to see what turns up. Keep in mind that Sasieni experts either supported a date of 1928 or 1935 for the introduction of town names, and both were wrong.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
that could still hold true,the war ended in 1945 so sables 1941 pipe is before that date.
Indeed the war didnt start for the US until December 1941 so sables pipe is pre war;)
Sasieni was in England. If they stopped producing during the war, then...

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
Sasieni was in England. If they stopped producing during the war, then...
if they stopped production during the war ,it could have been 1939 or 1944 still during the war.But sables pipe dated 1941 suggests they were still making 8 dot pipes up till 1941 at least

beef

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 10, 2021
Ontario
HI everyone, I am wondering if anyone can help me with dating my sasieni. It's a patent Danzey. From the info I find on Pipedia, it seems to have nomenclature that crosses over two periods. Here is what I see:

Sasieni (no fish, but unclear below Sasieni)
FOUR DOT
LONDON MADE
Pat No. ...221/2... (It's a bit unclear)
"DANZEY"

So, from what I gather from pipedia is that the "FOUR DOT" script replaced the patent number. But my pipe has both. Has anyone come across this? Perhaps it wasn't a smooth changeover and there was some overlap? Another possible identifying mark is the dots. They appear bluish to me and more rectangular than equilateral. I will put photos up once I can take some decent pictures. Thanks in advance for any knowledge.

leonardbill1

Lifer
May 21, 2017
Denver, CO
1 dot shape 103 (no town name). Interestingly it has a SB stamp which at least for Dunhill purposes I believe is yet to be deciphered. Not sure what it means for Sasieni purposes. Has a flat bottom.

IMG_7883.jpg

Reactions: OzPiper

Papamique

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 11, 2020
Shape 6S the S is for the saddle stem. You have a more modern era “4 Dot” as opposed to an older “four dot”.

Reactions: paulfg