PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Uguccione

Can't Leave
Jan 22, 2024
Italy
Here are mine. I must say that in terms of quality of materials and construction they are completely comparable to the Castello ones.

Attachments

• IMG_20240616_110707.jpg
    IMG_20240616_110707.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20240616_110645.jpg
    IMG_20240616_110645.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20240616_110502.jpg
    IMG_20240616_110502.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20240616_110435.jpg
    IMG_20240616_110435.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20240616_110334.jpg
    IMG_20240616_110334.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20240616_110520.jpg
    IMG_20240616_110520.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 8

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Just in from Italy, a Radice Clear EX chubby apple for your viewing pleasure. I was a bit stumped on the “EX” stamp, but I finally found a good explanation from a 15 year old thread on a different forum. For those interested:

"EX" grading is no longer produced. It was used during 80's. Today it corresponds to Clear "GOLD". Clear "Gold" is higher than "Clear", but lower than "clear F" (straight grain). It is the same for EX stamp. "EX" is for "Excellance"

This info apparently came via a gentleman named Luca from neatpipes.com. At any rate, I like it. Stem has some tooth marks and the bowl has some nicks and dings, but otherwise it’s in great shape. Will see how it smokes, eventually.

IMG_6201.jpegIMG_6202.jpeg

AroEnglish

Rehabilitant
Jan 7, 2020
PMF Recovery Center
Just in from Italy, a Radice Clear EX chubby apple for your viewing pleasure. I was a bit stumped on the “EX” stamp, but I finally found a good explanation from a 15 year old thread on a different forum. For those interested:

"EX" grading is no longer produced. It was used during 80's. Today it corresponds to Clear "GOLD". Clear "Gold" is higher than "Clear", but lower than "clear F" (straight grain). It is the same for EX stamp. "EX" is for "Excellance"

This info apparently came via a gentleman named Luca from neatpipes.com. At any rate, I like it. Stem has some tooth marks and the bowl has some nicks and dings, but otherwise it’s in great shape. Will see how it smokes, eventually.

View attachment 330287View attachment 330286
What a beaut! Lanzola? What's the length and weight on that little chubster?

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
I thought I recognized the pipe but I couldn't remember where from so just took a guess. Their photos really didn't do this pipe justice.
Yeah I couldn’t really tell much about the grain from their photos, the direct sunlight certainly helps in that regard. I do wish their site listed condition issues on estates, as the left side of the button is pretty chewed on.

IMG_6203.jpeg

• Sad
Reactions: AroEnglish

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
I may or may not have been on a manic high and also purchased another Radice, as well. I ordered the other one 2 days before this Apple, and it’s coming from SP, but due to USPS doing what they do this pipe got here from Italy way the hell faster. Hopefully I’ll see the other one, eventually. She’s real purdy and she hasn’t been chewed on, as far as I can tell 😂

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I don’t see any site by the name neatpipes.com It resolves instead to this URL; Lars Milano - https://larsmilano.it/

@mtwaller for anything Italian I would stick to using Luca at Tabaccheria Corti.

They sell Estates, and he knows the Radices and Castello, and you could always ask him to talk to the Radices and get a custom made, and pay the same price on a new pipe.

Tabaccheria Corti is the cheapest place I’ve seen for Italian pipes, and Luca many times includes shipping.

This is the only place I will ever buy an Italian pipe, Luca is amazing! :)

• Love
Reactions: mtwaller

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
I don’t see any site by the name neatpipes.com It resolves instead to this URL; Lars Milano - https://larsmilano.it/

@mtwaller for anything Italian I would stick to using Luca at Tabaccheria Corti.

They sell Estates, and he knows the Radices and Castello, and you could always ask him to talk to the Radices and get a custom made, and pay the same price on a new pipe.

Tabaccheria Corti is the cheapest place I’ve seen for Italian pipes, and Luca many times includes shipping.

This is the only place I will ever buy an Italian pipe, Luca is amazing! :)
Wow that is fantastic information, thank you so much! I wonder if they’re one and the same? The thread I found that mentioned Luca and neatpipes.com was from 2008.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I noticed before the name Luca at a neatpipes, I couldn’t say if there’s any relations…

I just know it‘s been really great dealing with Luca. I’ve even had a lot of email chats back and forth, and he even gave me his personal number to chat, it’s been great.

Not sure if you saw my post I bought a Radice last year from him.

P.S. If you are in the market for another Radice, I would seriously contact him, tell him PipeIT from Hawaii said, and ask if he can check if the Radice brothers still have Baldo Baldi briar to make another pipe. Just be sure to mention my Radice Clear Bent Dublin made from Baldo Baldi briar… ;)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: mtwaller

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
I noticed before the name Luca at a neatpipes, I couldn’t say if there’s any relations…

I just know it‘s been really great dealing with Luca. I’ve even had a lot of email chats back and forth, and he even gave me his personal number to chat, it’s been great.

Not sure if you saw my post I bought a Radice last year from him.

P.S. If you are in the market for another Radice, I would seriously contact him, tell him PipeIT from Hawaii said, and ask if he can check if the Radice brothers still have Baldo Baldi briar to make another pipe. Just be sure to mention my Radice Clear Bent Dublin made from Baldo Baldi briar… ;)
What a fantastic pipe! Sounds like a wonderful experience. So I really like brindle/cumberland stems… say I reached out and asked about a straight silk cut apple with a cumberland stem, no specific color, would that be a reasonable request to submit? I’ve never had anything made to order.

Seeleybc1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 29, 2022
Palmer AK
About to touch off the first bowl in this Radice Liverpool. Stokkebye twist flake. I’m quite impressed with the rind rustication, it’s really tactile. The “pure” finish, or lack thereof, really sealed the deal with the Cumberland. I was initially tempted to just admire this one and sniff it occasionally, as the bare briar smells so dang good lol…5B5D0D42-5398-46A3-B43B-8EA1715B6F7E.jpeg

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
About to touch off the first bowl in this Radice Liverpool. Stokkebye twist flake. I’m quite impressed with the rind rustication, it’s really tactile. The “pure” finish, or lack thereof, really sealed the deal with the Cumberland. I was initially tempted to just admire this one and sniff it occasionally, as the bare briar smells so dang good lol…View attachment 330521
That thing is going to be ridiculously pretty when the briar colors, holy cow.