PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bersekero

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2023
Greece
Arrived yesterday
Well it took a while to get used to the airy draw and small button. Actually I almost sold it twice but have withdrawn it.
Now I consider it my best smoking pipe. Better than my castello and dunhill. It is my first choice pipe for scotch and netflix. With its deep bowl it lasts a whole episode. Don't laugh this is quite important.
It will stay with me forever.
Bonus. It is a sitter also. Didn't new this was so important.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
I saw this pipe a couple weeks ago and I was completely bowled over by it. I was feverishly trying to create an account to checkout, but the site just refused to cooperate. Within the span of just a few minutes, the pipe was sold. Needless to say, I was a bit devastated. I was browsing again tonight and somehow, against all odds, this pipe was back listed for sale. I managed to create an account and scooped it up! I haven't personally ever seen a Radice that looks like this one... I've never seen silver, or an army mount, or a cumberland patterned stem. Any ideas if one or more of these features might be replacement and not original? Either way, I think it is absolutely stunning. The inner rim is dark but I don't even care.

estate-pipe-radice-clear-e-radr02.jpeg

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I saw this pipe a couple weeks ago and I was completely bowled over by it. I was feverishly trying to create an account to checkout, but the site just refused to cooperate. Within the span of just a few minutes, the pipe was sold. Needless to say, I was a bit devastated. I was browsing again tonight and somehow, against all odds, this pipe was back listed for sale. I managed to create an account and scooped it up! I haven't personally ever seen a Radice that looks like this one... I've never seen silver, or an army mount, or a cumberland patterned stem. Any ideas if one or more of these features might be replacement and not original? Either way, I think it is absolutely stunning. The inner rim is dark but I don't even care.

View attachment 295659
Please buy an ugly pipe next so I can stop envying you.

Sounds like Novelli to me. It stinks because once a pipe goes into someone’s basket it gets marked as sold even if it’s just sitting in their basket. I get why the site does that and have been grateful for it on a few occasions. If it happens again that the pipe is marked “Sold” I would reach out to them via WhatsApp and see if that’s actually the case.

As for your questions I’ve definitely seen ornate silver like that in a Radice though I think mainly on special releases. They’ve also definitely done ebonite in the past. Not sure about army mounts but that doesn’t look like something someone would throw on. If it’s got the Radice stampings and the double coral dots on the stem I wouldn’t be suspicious about any of it being unoriginal.

But let’s page @sfduke who might have ordered a Radice or two directly from them. Any thoughts, Duke?

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA

Sounds like Novelli to me. It stinks because once a pipe goes into someone’s basket it gets marked as sold even if it’s just sitting in their basket. I get why the site does that and have been grateful for it on a few occasions. If it happens again that the pipe is marked “Sold” I would reach out to them via WhatsApp and see if that’s actually the case.

As for your questions I’ve definitely seen ornate silver like that in a Radice though I think mainly on special releases. They’ve also definitely done ebonite in the past. Not sure about army mounts but that doesn’t look like something someone would throw on. If it’s got the Radice stampings and the double coral dots on the stem I wouldn’t be suspicious about any of it being unoriginal.

But let’s page @sfduke who might have ordered a Radice or two directly from them. Any thoughts, Duke?
You are just a wealth of information, thank you so much! It was indeed from Novelli, and that is a really shitty feature to make something unavailable if it's sitting in someone's cart... I've never encountered that before.

I'm relieved to hear that this has all been done before by Radice, I've only been looking at their pipes for a couple years and I've never seen anything like it. All the stamping is there, and it does indeed have the two dots on the stem. It's as thoroughly un-Italian-looking of a pipe as I've ever seen from Radice, hence my intense arousal. I'm a sucker for classic English shaping (Musico, anyone?).

I swear to god this is THE LAST PIPE I'm buying for a long time. Unless, you know... something else comes along. I'm really in no position to be burning through cash on 3 pipes in about as many weeks, but I knew I'd regret it for a long time if I let this one slip away. I got it shipped for $173 and I thought that was a pretty damn fine deal on such a specimen, even if the inner rim is a little crispy.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
You are just a wealth of information, thank you so much! It was indeed from Novelli, and that is a really shitty feature to make something unavailable if it's sitting in someone's cart... I've never encountered that before.

I'm relieved to hear that this has all been done before by Radice, I've only been looking at their pipes for a couple years and I've never seen anything like it. All the stamping is there, and it does indeed have the two dots on the stem. It's as thoroughly un-Italian-looking of a pipe as I've ever seen from Radice, hence my intense arousal. I'm a sucker for classic English shaping (Musico, anyone?).

I swear to god this is THE LAST PIPE I'm buying for a long time. Unless, you know... something else comes along. I'm really in no position to be burning through cash on 3 pipes in about as many weeks, but I knew I'd regret it for a long time if I let this one slip away. I got it shipped for $173 and I thought that was a pretty damn fine deal on such a specimen, even if the inner rim is a little crispy.
You are too kind 😊

I think the Novelli feature is odd but I can imagine it could be a cultural difference. Where we in the west might say “let the fastest one to the finish line win” the Italians might have a different view of where that finish line is.

But most importantly you do need to unload at least one pipe. If there is one with an annoyingly skinny draft hole I wouldn’t mind helping you out since you’re a friend 🤣🤣🤣

sfduke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2012

Did not see this until now. There are some unique variations out there. Some customs.

Yes, you can get some commissions directly with your custom specs. Note this is harder to date given Laudisi (aka SP) is their exclusive US distributor.

Reactions: AroEnglish

sfduke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2012
To add, I have custom "pure" unstained pipes that are TBOC and silver or gold topped pipes from Radice. Anything is possible.

• Wow
Reactions: AroEnglish