PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
In the UK, unless you're in the police or a criminal gang (spot the difference), we're not in general allowed to have:

1/ Gurns.
2/ Nahves.

I've been looking at pocket knives, with a view to getting a nice plug cutter, and the "UK carry illegal" notices are getting tiresome. No blade over 3", no locking blades, no this, no that.... I'm about sick of it. A Jamaican guy I used to work with years ago carried a "ratchet", with the teeth filed so it would flick open and lock in one move - now that would have been an ideal plug tool.

Some brands, like Spyderco, make some cool UK legal pieces. Google "Spyderco Uk legal"- there's at least a couple different non-locking (slip joint) options.
Unfortunately, you'd never be able to "lawfully" carry what I've got on me today.

It's been 8 years since I owned a CRK (Chris Reeve Knafs). I was getting in to pipes seriously right around when this model, the Inkosi, was being rolled out.
Better late than never I say. Went for the large Inkosi w/ Magnacut tanto blade and black Micarta inlays. Had to "upgrade" the pocket clip.
I like the stock clip- it works great- I just wanted something a little different to match the inlays.

IMG_9664.jpegIMG_9665.jpeg

MisterBadger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2024
Ludlow, UK
In the UK, unless you're in the police or a criminal gang (spot the difference), we're not in general allowed to have:

1/ Gurns.
2/ Nahves.

I've been looking at pocket knives, with a view to getting a nice plug cutter, and the "UK carry illegal" notices are getting tiresome. No blade over 3", no locking blades, no this, no that.... I'm about sick of it.
Well, it all depends. As an historical re-enacor, I've walked the streets with a sword at my hip and only the most officious of police officers admonished me once to ensure that the hilt was secured to the scabbard with a knot. These days I often carry a khukuri with a 10-inch blade, for gardening and bushcrafting purposes and have never had any trouble with the guardians of the law... but then my appearance does not resemble Prime Suspect Gangsta Youf Innit. Legitimate purpose is everything, whether a knife is carried publicly or kept in the home: imagine trying to slice bread with a 3-inch blade, for instance.

Guns, of course, are a different matter. I'd best not get started on that...

BingBong

Lifer
Apr 26, 2024
London UK
Well, it all depends. As an historical re-enacor, I've walked the streets with a sword at my hip and only the most officious of police officers admonished me once to ensure that the hilt was secured to the scabbard with a knot. These days I often carry a khukuri with a 10-inch blade, for gardening and bushcrafting purposes and have never had any trouble with the guardians of the law... but then my appearance does not resemble Prime Suspect Gangsta Youf Innit. Legitimate purpose is everything, whether a knife is carried publicly or kept in the home: imagine trying to slice bread with a 3-inch blade, for instance.

I suppose I could get a kirpan and claim to be a Sikh. We have too many Gangsta Youf in London, I must say, but at least that means plenty of low hanging fruit for the police to worry about, rather than hassle a pipe smoking old git.

SmokeyJock

Might Stick Around
Oct 4, 2024
Scotland

As a man in my 20s living in not the nicest part of Dundee it's absolutely not worth the risk for me to carry anything larger than legal, there was a tradesman here got the jail for still having a stanley knife on him after work when he went to the supermarket, police said because he wasn't going directly from work to home he didn't have reasonable excuse, no doubt our American friends will find this mind-boggling

Last edited:

SmokeyJock

Might Stick Around
Oct 4, 2024
Scotland

Do you go for a specific period or a range of them with the historical reenacting? I remember watching an historical reenactment of a Viking vs Saxon battle in York as a child and being absolutely thrilled by it