Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PaulRVA

Lifer
May 29, 2023
“Tobacco Row “Richmond Virginia USA
I'm sure it's great for lefties and such but..
I just hate all the holes drilled in the scales.
I've had a dozen or so Spyderco over the years (and they're great tools) and the holes drilled at each end just kill it for me.
Here’s a different Spyderco.
An automatic. Still has some holes but a useful & dependable blade.
IMG_8700.jpeg

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
This morning I've got my Dimitry Miscoi full bent and a lionSTEEL "Skinny". I always wanted an integral handled (milled from a single chunk of titanium) knife and when these came out recently I knew I had to have one.
Magnacut blade, removable flipper, and gorgeous Dark Matter carbon fiber inlay.

image.jpg

image.jpg

PaulRVA

Lifer
May 29, 2023
Gosh

Autonomy?
I've never handled one. I'm sure it's got great action..

I'll bring out some autos later this week. =]
Sorry , Autonomy is correct. It’s a great blade but I like something without a safety and faster to deploy without having to fiddle around, so it gets little use other than clipped in a pair of jeans going out.

PaulRVA

Lifer
May 29, 2023

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Another vote for old school and simple. Unless I'm in court, there's a Case Sodbuster Jr. in my pocket. Small enough to not really feel it, big enough to cut through most anything I may encounter in a normal day. It was $25 10 years ago and at this rate I won't have to replace it for another 20. And yes, it fits nicely in every one of my pipe chambers to do some scraping when needed.

bluegrassbrian

Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I f anyone's interested, I've got a cool blade for sale right now. A Suprlativ Piranha with a custom leather pocket slip/ clip. WELL below retail, just shoot me a PM.

bluegrassbrian

Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I promised I'd break out some autos..
To accompany my morning Steamworks in the Scarlatta, we have a Guardian Tactical Scout - Elmax clip point blade and it was SCREAMING sharp out of the box.

I was never big on OTFs because I thought they looked dinky and unreliable. One day I was in my local knife shop and the proprietor had 5 OTFs sitting on the counter top. 2 Microtechs, 1 Heretic, 1 Hogue, and a Guardian Tactical. I picked each one up and fired it. I thought the GT felt FAR AND AWAY stronger, smoother, and most reliable.
I don't think I'd ever have a bunch of them in my collection, but I like to always have one.

image.jpg

bluegrassbrian

Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I have a few Guardians, Pro Techs, Heretic's and Arc Forms. For me the Micro Techs have performed the best. What I really want is a Hubertus Shellpuller.
Here is a PT God Father that used to ride on my raid vest for work before I retired.
The GT’s are tough as nails too !
View attachment 315168
Seems ProTech has one of the most sterling reputations in the industry. I was never super drawn to autos though, just like OTFs.
That said, I've got a Rockeye coming to me today. Green handle with 3V blade- I couldn't resist that combo.

OTFs, by way of their inherent design, are forever doomed to have some level of blade play. All brands, makes and models.. we just have to live with it.
Eh, except maybe the Hawk Deadlocks. I've never handled one but I've heard they are rock solid.

• Love
Reactions: jbfrady and PaulRVA