PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Few things are as classically masculine as the pipe. One of those heralded few is the pocket knife. I want to see what you're carrying (and smoking) today.
So let's see'em- show us your current EDC, fixed or folding, traditional or tactical.

I'm carrying a new knife today - the Maxace Peregrine. Going to put it through some paces at work. The blade is a jacketed ZDP-189, which is fairly uncommon in folding knives. I had to check it out. I've been impressed with the feel in hand too. Blindfolded id swear it was a Chris Reeve product- a Sebenza or Umnumzaan.

image.jpg

johnnyflake

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 29, 2023
Henderson, Nevada
I have always carried a pocketknife, ever since I can remember, being taught to do so by my beloved grandfather. I have had several over the years, but for the last 20 years I have carried a belt pouch carried Buck 110. Then about 7 or 8 years ago, in a situation where a knife of needed, I learned that my Buck 110 was too large to do the job right. At that point in my life, I started carrying two knives. The second being a smaller Gerber Bear Gillis folding pocketknife.

My pipe for today is my Willme 5002 Bentley.

Attachments

• MVC-001S.JPG
    MVC-001S.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 9
  • MVC-003S.JPG
    MVC-003S.JPG
    23.3 KB · Views: 9
  • MVC-005S.JPG
    MVC-005S.JPG
    18.6 KB · Views: 9

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
August will be 20yrs of EDC (and I mean EVERY workday and 90% of days off, excepting one trip back for new edge and broken tip reprofile) for this Benchmade 550.
The coloring on the blade is what’s left from a 2011 hasty Cerakote job I did to test durability on unprepped surfaces back when I was coating custom gun parts and scope tubes in my kitchen.
It sees hard enough use that my buddy (an ABS ‘smith) uses me to torture test his work every once in a while.
Of course there’s my dang near everyday since last July Peterson Short Army 102….

Does a post really count if you can’t produce these items from where you sit when you first read it?
IMG_0768.jpeg

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Few things are as classically masculine as the pipe. One of those heralded few is the pocket knife. I want to see what you're carrying (and smoking) today.
So let's see'em- show us your current EDC, fixed or folding, traditional or tactical.
I’d posit the presence (or absence) of a knife to be way up the “man card” qualifiers compared a pipe, especially in the general population vs this crowd😉

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
That and have one large enough to defend yourself, field dress, cut rope or a seatbelt.
Absolutely! That just reminded me of a time in the late nineties I had bought a 4” Spyderco fully serrated lockback. I was working ancillary healthcare and the second wife asked me what a knife like that would be good for. I told her that aside from the obvious it would always cut a seatbelt and she was dubious of that need. Not 48hrs later I was at a convenience store and heard a crash and unmistakable thump thump…thump of a rollover. I sprinted over to see how bad it was and the lady driving the jeep cherokee that rolled was hysterical and hanging upside down in it, full panic flipping out. After assuring myself enough she could move her extremities, didn’t have any signs of spinal injury I cut her belt and got her out. She walked away and my ex probably thinks I was full of sh*t to this day😆

PaulRVA

Lifer
May 29, 2023
“Tobacco Row “Richmond Virginia USA
Absolutely! That just reminded me of a time in the late nineties I had bought a 4” Spyderco fully serrated lockback. I was working ancillary healthcare and the second wife asked me what a knife like that would be good for. I told her that aside from the obvious it would always cut a seatbelt and she was dubious of that need. Not 48hrs later I was at a convenience store and heard a crash and unmistakable thump thump…thump of a rollover. I sprinted over to see how bad it was and the lady driving the jeep cherokee that rolled was hysterical and hanging upside down in it, full panic flipping out. After assuring myself enough she could move her extremities, didn’t have any signs of spinal injury I cut her belt and got her out. She walked away and my ex probably thinks I was full of sh*t to this day😆
Spyderco makes a great knife!
I lost one doing some electrical work in a crawl space years ago.
Ten years later I was in that crawl space again and there it was!

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
I used to enjoy knives as a kid and recently decided to pick up some knives after realizing I was always carrying a cutter around for things at work and home. Anyway this is an assisted open CRKT and it's the nicest knife I've ever owned. Came sharp enough to shave your arm hair off, straight out of the box.

1000019764.jpg
1000019765.jpg
1000019766.jpg

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
Spyderco Delica smooth blade with S30V steel was my daily carry for 20 years (lost one, got another same). Second one went overboard a couple years ago and replaced it with a Spyderco H1 Marine with serrated edge (dyed the yellow scales green). Daily carry currently, but I really prefer a smooth blade for just about everything. Tip up pocket carry is de rigueur, imho. Love the Spyderco thumb hole for opening.
IMG_7440.jpg
Not intended for EDC, but currently awaiting delivery of a Gerber FlatIron (they're one sale everywhere just now) which I expect to dedicate to cutting plugs, cubing flakes...

p.s. that Maxace is a good looker!

bluegrassbrian

Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Spyderco Delica smooth blade with S30V steel was my daily carry for 20 years (lost one, got another same). Second one went overboard a couple years ago and replaced it with a Spyderco H1 Marine with serrated edge (dyed the yellow scales green). Daily carry currently, but I really prefer a smooth blade for just about everything. Tip up pocket carry is de rigueur, imho. Love the Spyderco thumb hole for opening.
View attachment 314832
Not intended for EDC, but currently awaiting delivery of a Gerber FlatIron (they're one sale everywhere just now) which I expect to dedicate to cutting plugs, cubing flakes...

p.s. that Maxace is a good looker!
Ya know, it's interesting.. the vast majority these days are tip up.
For the past handful of years my workhorse edc has been a Benchmade 761, which is tip down.
I've gotten so accustomed to it that tip-up carry feels completely foreign.

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
Ya know, it's interesting.. the vast majority these days are tip up.
For the past handful of years my workhorse edc has been a Benchmade 761, which is tip down.
I've gotten so accustomed to it that tip-up carry feels completely foreign.
i find it interesting that the spyderco's and others are more often offering the choice to rig it either way, as well as making them left/right optional, too. and why not? :)

bluegrassbrian

Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
i find it interesting that the spyderco's and others are more often offering the choice to rig it either way, as well as making them left/right optional, too. and why not? :)
I'm sure it's great for lefties and such but..
I just hate all the holes drilled in the scales.
I've had a dozen or so Spyderco over the years (and they're great tools) and the holes drilled at each end just kill it for me.