PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I see this original post was made in July 2013, which is the year I joined Forums. Some of the earlier posts on this thread are made by members who haven't posted in years. My four Stanwells are two bulldog 32's, a smooth and a silke brune; a Canadian; and one of the Sixten Iversson designed pots, I think shape 86, that is not cylindrical. In case I haven't posted this all somewhere in this nine page, eight-year-old thread.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
2 of my very small herd of Stanwells, both bought new in the mid-'70s.

A freehand which is seldom smoked as it is too heavy to clench and the bowl does not feel so comfortable in the hand. It was the first freehand shape I came across, and it looked so different to all the other pipes I'd seen up till then, esp with its plateau top.

The other is a Featherweight Dublin which I had re-stemmed recently - now looking more Belge-likeimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
A recent acquisition of a Stanwell Shape 91 designed by Sixten Ivarsson from the 1960s I believe. Love the shape of this pipe.

Original stem is in need of some serious tlc as it’s rather oxidised so I had a new one made until I have the skills to sort it out. Very excited to try this out later one.

View attachment 70092View attachment 70093View attachment 70094View attachment 70095
18566A38-29C2-4B6F-A738-5EAF7E20A2C6.jpeg
I thought this was a squashed tomato. I didn’t realize Sixteen designed it. Thx for the information.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Looking at this old thread surfaces something I've been thinking: longevity. In a few words, there is very little.

95% of the contributors are gone. It seems people join at the apex of some wave of excited interest that continues for a few months, and then their activity wanes, probably because they put down the pipe.

And if you look at the members that joined years ago and still are active, perhaps we are at 1%. I don't understand that. When I was active with the pipe I had to keep it to 2/3 bowls a day because I was a huffer who recurrently injured his mouth, but who fantasized going about all day with a pipe kept perpetually at that magic place of being ready to go out but rescued from that oblivion by the next slow-smoking puff. I adored the pipe.

And hey, I'm still active though I don't smoke:).

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I haven't seen bickering but have seen disputes and the blows traded because of them. In fact, I started such over the weekend with a member with whom I've had an unvoiced dispute for some time. It didn't go beyond one volley, me telling him how awful he is and he saying the same, because once I've said my piece, and he's said his, we're done. I do not reply. I've practiced this for some time, and it keeps the bandwith cleaner and gets me in less trouble.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I lurked here for a long time, but have found most everyone to very agreeable. There are a few, very few people whom I think have some overly strong opinions about themselves, but that is almost anywhere. For the most part, I get to learn about different blends and a little pipe information along the way. It is easy to type something that you later will regret. I do it too often myself.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I’m hoping to re-join the Stanwell owners club. I used to have a Stanwell Royal Guard 03 but gave it away to a friend.

Can anyone tell me what the significance is the the Regd pipes? I know some pipes have the Regd number but what does the number mean?

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
These two pipes are fairly recent acquisitions. Sorry for the crap photos I’m not very good at pipe photography.
The first one is an Italian made sterling silver #29 billiard. I’m loving this pipe its a good smoker and I think it looks great.

The second one is a reg. era # 12 billiard - I’m finding myself drawn to these older Stanwells. I think this one probably has a replacement stem - it is a twin bore with no logo. Does anyone know if any of the Reg. Era Stanwells came with twin-bore stems? Thanks in advance.
86617717-C5B1-4053-B9C7-1D77ADE34B31.jpeg6784E5FC-268E-4CD6-B54D-443E581969C5.jpeg

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
I’m hoping to re-join the Stanwell owners club. I used to have a Stanwell Royal Guard 03 but gave it away to a friend.

Can anyone tell me what the significance is the the Regd pipes? I know some pipes have the Regd number but what does the number mean?

Reactions: danish and OzPiper