PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
Finally got this Heritage Christmas Spigot XL11. Was really taken by these and was excited to get this one.
View attachment 175363

However I'm really torn on this pretty obvious fill on it's face.

View attachment 175364

It's got some beautiful grain and I'm happy with everything else but the fill being so mismatched from the stain is bugging me. Especially since it was almost impossible to see in the SP picture.

SP US is currently sold out of all the Heritage Spigot XL11s and I don't know if they'll be getting more or not. I suppose I'd rather have an imperfect pipe than none at all but still. Should I send it back and hope for a restock? Or am I obsessing over details?
Wow, is the pipe colour ever lighter than in the stock photo! It’s like a completely different pipe

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc

Piping Rooster

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2022
Champa Bay
I recently won an ebay auction for a Peterson Emerald 53 Smooth pipe. Apparently, it was purchased back in the 90's. Beautiful pipe. I do have a question for the team here: The draw on it is not great. It is something to do with the stem. It is a p-lip and I ran a few pipe cleaners through it. Is it normal for the draw to be the equivalent of over-packing your pipe?

View attachment 176419
Im wondering if thats the right box for that pipe as the 53 is usually a lovat, that looks like an 03 or XL02. Is there a number stamp on the other side of the pipe?

RaoulDuke

Lurker
Apr 25, 2020
Australia
View attachment 177670

Yowza, that is incredible! Can you post a close-up of the nomenclature. That is a one-of-a-kind shape, by my experience.
Looks interesting doesn’t it. I will post a close up once it arrives, should be early next week. From what I could see in the photos and video on the website it has Peterson Deluxe stamped on the shank, no COM, and the A stamp for 1916 on the band. I did see this similar shaped pipe from 1916 on the Peterson pipedia page so I think it is legit. Pretty excited! 😊EF05ADCB-61A5-426F-8157-4D5C9EC618F2.jpeg

Swiss Army Knife

Can't Leave
Jul 12, 2021
North Carolina
The stain almost looks black in the stock photos on SP. so much lighter in person
It looks closer to the SP example in natural light, that was really just me blasting it to make the fill more obvious.

I think I'm going to keep it. I can't get a guarantee they'll get another Heritage XL11 back in that I'll like and aside from the fill I do really like this one. That grain banding towards the upper left near the rim really does it for me.

For any of you Pete experts: I've had issues with Peterson's bowl coatings in the past. Is there a good way to remove it? Could I just hit it with some wet paper towel?

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
It looks closer to the SP example in natural light, that was really just me blasting it to make the fill more obvious.

I think I'm going to keep it. I can't get a guarantee they'll get another Heritage XL11 back in that I'll like and aside from the fill I do really like this one. That grain banding towards the upper left near the rim really does it for me.

For any of you Pete experts: I've had issues with Peterson's bowl coatings in the past. Is there a good way to remove it? Could I just hit it with some wet paper towel?
A few wet paper towels worked for me a while ago on a Peterson Short bulldog

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario

I ordered the same model from eBay (everyone else was sold out unfortunately) I'll post some pics once I get it. Their photos are usually not the exact pipe you get like SP.

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
This is my very first System pipe AND very first P-lip. I smoked a portion of a bowl so far and I'm still getting used to the plip. I don't hate it at all, just different. Maybe it will grow on me, you never know. It's an 11s. Nice pipe! I'm very happy with it. I love the bends on these Pete's.

D92B8B3D-0F69-456A-93F3-00A62DAB270A.jpeg

MikeDub

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2022
SoCal
This is my very first System pipe AND very first P-lip. I smoked a portion of a bowl so far and I'm still getting used to the plip. I don't hate it at all, just different. Maybe it will grow on me, you never know. It's an 11s. Nice pipe! I'm very happy with it. I love the bends on these Pete's.

View attachment 178028
I love the 11s/312 shape, definitely one of my favorites in the system line. The p lip took awhile to adjust to, the biggest difference was shoving my tongue up under that shelf on the bottom. Now clenching a fishtail feels weird. Happy smokes!