PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

smyates2

Lurker
Jun 21, 2020
Herndon, VA
Hi,
At little while back I received a Peterson's pipe and I'm having a hard time finding more information on it. I was wondering if I could get some help from the experts here. The only markings are on the left shank "Peterson's" with the split P and "Dublin" 2" underneath. The silver band has 3 shields that are worn down and "Sterling Silver Peterson Dublin" each word on a line. There are no other markings on the pipe (even used a loop to make sure) unless they've completely worn off.
I would appreciate any information date/Era, series, rough value, etc.
Thanks in advance!20200620_183818.jpg20200620_184632.jpg20200621_123443.jpg

runscott

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Here is a tiny (3.6") 1911 Peterson Patent with a reddish-brown tenon that the p-lip stem screws on to. I can't find any evidence that Peterson ever did non-push stems - it wouldn't make sense, as such a stem would make it impossible to get the tenon past the trap to make the 'system' work. But I've been wrong, so I'm interested in opinions.

I acquired the pipe because the seller described it as almost 7" long, which would have made it a great candidate for an amber stem I was going to fit for it. But it turned out to be a little over 3.5", so not-so-great.

20200723_172539.jpg20200723_172519.jpg

runscott

Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Hi,
At little while back I received a Peterson's pipe and I'm having a hard time finding more information on it. I was wondering if I could get some help from the experts here. The only markings are on the left shank "Peterson's" with the split P and "Dublin" 2" underneath. The silver band has 3 shields that are worn down and "Sterling Silver Peterson Dublin" each word on a line. There are no other markings on the pipe (even used a loop to make sure) unless they've completely worn off.
I would appreciate any information date/Era, series, rough value, etc.
Thanks in advance!View attachment 37084

How tall is the bowl? I have one almost exactly like yours, but mine has a nickel band and it's a very small pipe.

Reactions: marlinspike

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
So, no thoughts on a screw-tenon Peterson?
I’ve seen one Peterson, a pretty old one at that, with a threaded stem that had a tennon screwed into it. If my memory serves me, it was an Amber stem with a vulcanite tennon. However, I don’t know if that was factory or not. I don’t recall seeing one exactly like the one pictured above before , but it does appear to have been done at the factory. Peterson has always been a company that likes to experiment, so nothing really surprises me when I run across an unusual Peterson.

runscott

Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
I’ve seen one Peterson, a pretty old one at that, with a threaded stem that had a tennon screwed into it. If my memory serves me, it was an Amber stem with a vulcanite tennon. However, I don’t know if that was factory or not. I don’t recall seeing one exactly like the one pictured above before , but it does appear to have been done at the factory. Peterson has always been a company that likes to experiment, so nothing really surprises me when I run across an unusual Peterson.

Thanks for your response. It's an enigma for sure. The only reason it makes any sense to me is how thin the shank is - not sure it would be physically possible to create a normal push-stem.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Not long ago I got this long stemmed Peterson Cara sandblasted 440 from smokingpipes.com,I have to say as always it was very enjoyable shopping experience,when I asked their crew to execute pre shipping inspection which they always do and then also will take time to report back on the results ,those customers who are residing outside of the U.S do highly appreciate such a exemplary approach to their clientele'since it is way more expensive and time consuming process to return pipes back from overseas,cudos to SPC002-029-53219.7624(1).jpg

runscott

Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Not long ago I got this long stemmed Peterson Cara sandblasted 440 from smokingpipes.com,I have to say as always it was very enjoyable shopping experience,when I asked their crew to execute pre shipping inspection which they always do and then also will take time to report back on the results ,those customers who are residing outside of the U.S do highly appreciate such a exemplary approach to their clientele'since it is way more expensive and time consuming process to return pipes back from overseas,cudos to SPCView attachment 44668

They are pretty great. I ordered an estate pipe Saturday afternoon and it arrived Monday morning. Kind of stunning.