PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
And about 40 rusticated 2023 poty pipes as well so yeah.
I think changing the color from the maroon stain to the brown stain found on the Derby and rusticated Aran would make the rustication substantially more appealing. The maroon evokes classiness which is in too much contrast with the craggy rustication. The brown fits it more nicely.

Jon C.P.G.

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 29, 2023
Canada
I think changing the color from the maroon stain to the brown stain found on the Derby and rusticated Aran would make the rustication substantially more appealing. The maroon evokes classiness which is in too much contrast with the craggy rustication. The brown fits it more nicely.
I honestly like a straight up black on the rusticated like the one side of my recent Halloween system.

And I think the rustication looks a lot better on straight pipes, when you consider last year's x160 with its swan neck curves and cheeks along with this years bent Rhodesian, as well as the previous 14B and the 308 revival, along with the 9B you mention, this rustication style just takes away from the shapes themselves, the curves and musculature that are so iconic for Peterson. I think it's gotten better of late with less overly deep grooves and while I understand it's purpose IE keeping blocks with pits and other imperfections out of the trash, I gotta wonder if more of those blocks could be blasted because a sandblast can still be appealing and keep the overall shape a little more "neat", if that makes sense?

This years poty grabbed me not because it's a new system but the lines and curves, the cheeks with a nice muscular shank. This is why I bought two, I haven't even held it and I already know I'm going to enjoy smoking it.

I am not a rustication hater, many shapes really make it very appealing but many others sadly it takes away from the overall aesthetic.

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
I honestly like a straight up black on the rusticated like the one side of my recent Halloween system.

And I think the rustication looks a lot better on straight pipes, when you consider last year's x160 with its swan neck curves and cheeks along with this years bent Rhodesian, as well as the previous 14B and the 308 revival, along with the 9B you mention, this rustication style just takes away from the shapes themselves, the curves and musculature that are so iconic for Peterson. I think it's gotten better of late with less overly deep grooves and while I understand it's purpose IE keeping blocks with pits and other imperfections out of the trash, I gotta wonder if more of those blocks could be blasted because a sandblast can still be appealing and keep the overall shape a little more "neat", if that makes sense?

This years poty grabbed me not because it's a new system but the lines and curves, the cheeks with a nice muscular shank. This is why I bought two, I haven't even held it and I already know I'm going to enjoy smoking it.

I am not a rustication hater, many shapes really make it very appealing but many others sadly it takes away from the overall aesthetic.
I'm glad I decided to snag a rusticated before they were all gone earlier. I think it's quite attractive personally!

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest

Yeah I'd be glad for straight up black! I'm guessing they want to avoid that since the sandblasts are black but the more black the better! I remember Mark Irwin's Halloween prank post about Peterson doing black bowls, stems, and bands. They looked so good and I kept searching for them until I realized (a few days later) that it was a joke.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Gotcha. What about a sandblasted silvercap?
I never saw ANY silver capped ones for sale. Anywhere I looked they were gone.
I do have the Rua shown above on the way, a terracotta that is unseen because that site doesn't show individual pipes, aaand I also decided to get a rusticated that will be the first to be smoked of them all.
I tend to enjoy my bowls while outside, on the go, walking around, watching the birds, clouds or whatever. And that means wind too. So many of my regulars are rusticated or blasts for the reason they will show less "mistakes" if I make any with flame to rim whilst in said activities. The better ones I'm saving until that time when I may be able to enjoy them in a more comfortable, indoor environment.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas

If more of their blasts were brown, I'd be interested. But, they seem to only do all black with blasts anymore and I don't particularly like black stained pipes.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
I'm glad I decided to snag a rusticated before they were all gone earlier. I think it's quite attractive personally!
Probably over half my Petes are rusticated and there are some shapes that I think look better that way. However, I didn't think the POTY 24 looked particularly good with that finish.

Groot5225

Might Stick Around
Feb 3, 2023
I never saw ANY silver capped ones for sale. Anywhere I looked they were gone.
I do have the Rua shown above on the way, a terracotta that is unseen because that site doesn't show individual pipes, aaand I also decided to get a rusticated that will be the first to be smoked of them all.
I tend to enjoy my bowls while outside, on the go, walking around, watching the birds, clouds or whatever. And that means wind too. So many of my regulars are rusticated or blasts for the reason they will show less "mistakes" if I make any with flame to rim whilst in said activities. The better ones I'm saving until that time when I may be able to enjoy them in a more comfortable, indoor environment.
72 seconds after smokingpipes loaded their POY there was still two silver cap rusticated pipes.