PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
This is from the recent SH Barley drop, and my first "Professor". I like it overall, something about the angle isn't "perfect" for walking around, turning head side to side, bending over to reach for something... but it's good. Interesting how some have the right angle and length to sit just perfectly and ride out the storm of motion (314's and similar for me), while others seem to wiggle all around. It will be fine for leisurely pursuits and joins the family of future gifts to self...

Just one (repetitive) complaint. I just know, that if I sent this to Smoking Pipes for a re-sell, they'd list it as unsmoked, and then claim: "stamping worn from buffing". Now, I love my Petes, but that just aggravates me and feels like being gaslighted. Look closely and you'll see the stamping isn't congruent in depth, and I see many new ones that have a little "flaw" like that. Having them blame the customer always baffles me. Truly, I cannot imagine anyone sitting around buffing their unsmoked pipes until the stamping is worn.....................

1723576459167.png

1723576481887.png

1723576540426.png

1723576613615.png

1723576642389.png

AroEnglish

Rehabilitant
Jan 7, 2020
This is from the recent SH Barley drop, and my first "Professor". I like it overall, something about the angle isn't "perfect" for walking around, turning head side to side, bending over to reach for something... but it's good. Interesting how some have the right angle and length to sit just perfectly and ride out the storm of motion (314's and similar for me), while others seem to wiggle all around. It will be fine for leisurely pursuits and joins the family of future gifts to self...

Just one (repetitive) complaint. I just know, that if I sent this to Smoking Pipes for a re-sell, they'd list it as unsmoked, and then claim: "stamping worn from buffing". Now, I love my Petes, but that just aggravates me and feels like being gaslighted. Look closely and you'll see the stamping isn't congruent in depth, and I see many new ones that have a little "flaw" like that. Having them blame the customer always baffles me. Truly, I cannot imagine anyone sitting around buffing their unsmoked pipes until the stamping is worn.....................

View attachment 329959

View attachment 329960

View attachment 329961

View attachment 329963

View attachment 329964
Yeah SP can be so weird about some of their estates. I sent back a limited edition Pete that I bought new from them as it had damage to the band. I saw it a few weeks later in their estates listed as new, unsmoked but no mention of the damage and I think it was priced at retail. This has made me less trusting of what they list as "unsmoked" in their estates section.

Edit because I forgot to comment on the pipe: Damn beautiful choice!

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario

View attachment 329959

View attachment 329960

View attachment 329961

View attachment 329963

View attachment 329964
I think I understand what you're saying about the angle. It doesn't look like a comfortable clencher compared to some others, but it looks like a very inviting pipe to cradle in the palm! Beauty brother

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Yeah SP can be so weird about some of their estates. I sent back a limited edition Pete that I bought new from them as it had damage to the band. I saw it a few weeks later in their estates listed as new, unsmoked but no mention of the damage and I think it was priced at retail. This has made me less trusting of what they list as "unsmoked" in their estates section.

Edit because I forgot to comment on the pipe: Damn beautiful choice!
For sure. I recently posted in this thread that I saw SP list a SH original in the estate section as unsmoked while stating it had rim charring.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I read in PPN that the Barleys are clear coated and won't darken as quickly as a Premier or Deluxe natural. Does anyone know what (substance) they use to clear coat them ? Just curious.
When looking at mine yesterday, I didn't notice any type of coating or a layer of anything on the briar. I wasn't looking for it but............... Now I'm curious. I may have to double-check tonight.

If it DOES have a coating, I think that would actually be pretty cool. I have a "naked" Molina that has darkened with use, but at the same time it darkened where I handle it, so not all of it is exactly as I would wish it to be. If a coating kept my hands from darkening it I'd welcome that so I could watch what only the internal darkening created.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I think I understand what you're saying about the angle. It doesn't look like a comfortable clencher compared to some others, but it looks like a very inviting pipe to cradle in the palm! Beauty brother
Sometimes it's a combination of angle and bit width. If the angle is "off" for me personally, sometimes a wider bit will compensate for that and reduce the "wiggle" that occurs when I'm active. This one is just below what I'd prefer on the clenching stability, but it's good enough to save for a future scenario. I'm actually saving some like that for a future where I get to sit and smoke a little more than I now move and smoke.

Now, for those that don't understand why it won't stay still when I clench, it's because I prefer to hold it directly in front most of the time, to even out pressure(s) on my TMJ's. They all pretty much can be held still if I clench to the side. I've done a lot of that in the past and felt subtle alterations in my bite comfort, tooth comfort, and TMJ comfort - so I moved it to the front for most of the time.

Too much info? You read it............................ :)

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Connecticut, USA
When looking at mine yesterday, I didn't notice any type of coating or a layer of anything on the briar. I wasn't looking for it but............... Now I'm curious. I may have to double-check tonight.

If it DOES have a coating, I think that would actually be pretty cool. I have a "naked" Molina that has darkened with use, but at the same time it darkened where I handle it, so not all of it is exactly as I would wish it to be. If a coating kept my hands from darkening it I'd welcome that so I could watch what only the internal darkening created.
In looking to respond to you I guess I answered my own question ---- Barleys have a carnauba wax finish to create a type of tanshell like Dunhill which makes them not 'virgin' finish which is Italian in origin and has no finish at all applied inside or out so that natural oils darken the pipe. So Natural but not Virgin.
Wax not clear coat. You can read it all below.

From Peterson.ie :
"For our new Barley Spigot line, however, we wanted to showcase the natural color and texture of virgin, sandblasted briar with as few of these natural imperfections as possible. All the bowls for this series were hand-selected at our factory for their cleanliness and consistency, resulting in a true tanblast that reveals the wood's natural patterns in crisp relief without any additional staining.'

From PPN:
279. Understanding Peterson “NATURAL” and Natural-Finish Pipes - https://petersonpipenotes.org/279-what-are-the-peterson-natural-and-natural-finish-pipes/ ;

and again:
"Josh Burgess, Managing Director at K&P, tells me “these are virgin-quality sandblasts” given a light coat of carnauba wax. The reason for the wax—which is also applied to the Supreme Sandblast—is not only to heighten the visual appeal a notch, but more importantly foster the development of a pleasing patina as the pipe is smoked." from:

AroEnglish

Rehabilitant
Jan 7, 2020
"Josh Burgess, Managing Director at K&P, tells me “these are virgin-quality sandblasts” given a light coat of carnauba wax. The reason for the wax—which is also applied to the Supreme Sandblast—is not only to heighten the visual appeal a notch, but more importantly foster the development of a pleasing patina as the pipe is smoked." from:
I wonder what how you could finish a pipe to delay rather than foster the development of patina.