lelik

Lifer
Aug 21, 2019
William Demuth Company Meerschaum
tE7ebdkl.jpg

PipeGarGuy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 1, 2022
I don’t know what I’m doing yet so maybe you folks can tell me how I did? I got these 3 pipes on FB Marketplace for $100. The lady didn’t know anything about them. They were her grandfathers who passed away. 2 smoked, 1 unsmoked. Don’t know if they’re block or pressed. I would like to ream the cake out of the 2 as well as get the tar stripes out of the stems, if that’s proper etiquette, and start smoking them. Any thoughts?0A039118-5965-425B-9E1D-B7B7319C1202.png

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014

PipeGarGuy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 1, 2022
Stick your tongue to the inside of the chamber. If it sticks to the material, they're block.

400 grit sandpaper

Soak them in lemon juice overnight and run bristle pipe cleaners through them.
Wow! Thanks for the help Embers! You say inside the chamber? That’ll work for the unsmoked one, what about the 2 smoked ones? I guess I sand the chambers first? They have a pretty good cake in them. I don’t think he ever cleaned them when he got done smoking them.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Thinking of whether I have an "identity" just brings to mind Sally Field as Sybil, lol. I won't get into all that has gone into my preferences and those that have influenced them or reinforced them - but I found that post interesting because I'm spending some time today getting all things pipe related organized and, for example, I know there are some pipes that will never get used again and so some will be given away, same may be sold (at very forum friendly prices, lol, after the holidays) and a couple may just get pitched.

Some things just happen - I saw a ring made out of an old half crown while searching coins on Etsy and that and appreciating the Christmas pipes I'd seen from @Chasing Embers and his encouragement led me to @cramptholomew and a Christmas commission that is unique and terrific. That was a couple of years ago, but decided to revisit it this year and I'm very excited about where that is headed.

Sherlock Holmes got me started on Petersons and originally on pipes, period when I decided to finally given in after a lifetime of resisting (and those dominate my pipes, love so many of their shapes), hunting interest led me to certain Nording pipes, pre-war briar interest led me to even older briars, and so on. One thing I've found I didn't expect is normal, straight pipes (smaller versions excluded) aren't my favorite (of course, I bought one a couple of weeks ago, but that was for sentimental reasons) and I just need to stop thinking that will change.

So I'm hearing, "get on with it, what does this have to do with Meers?", lol.

My interest in finding century old briar led me to a couple of old Comoy's and a little Loewe and recently a gift of some old Comoy's from @ashdigger included a little Meer that I wanted to honor by using it (had never even considered getting a Meer) and some encouragement from him, @Chasing Embers and @hoosierpipeguy which led to getting my first Meer, which I got lucky with - the shape and stem are perfect for me and it's a great performing pipe - now I get it, haha.

Now I'm thinking whether I really "need" a Meer that incorporates some simple carving elements not common to the "usual" carving elements --- mine is smooth and I'd still like one with a pattern (not figural) for "grip". For now, I'm on the lookout new or used, but if I find an opportunity for a carver I'll probably be all over it, so if any of the Meer experts have ideas, would love to hear them.

Sorry for the side track - for me, letting my interests take me where they have led me to Meers and it's kind of funny to think that until that little pipe showed up I really wasn't reading anything about them or caring, frankly.

Anyway, maybe put all that under, "please have some more unexpressed thoughts on our Sundays"!

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Thinking of whether I have an "identity" just brings to mind Sally Field as Sybil, lol. I won't get into all that has gone into my preferences and those that have influenced them or reinforced them - but I found that post interesting because I'm spending some time today getting all things pipe related organized and, for example, I know there are some pipes that will never get used again and so some will be given away, same may be sold (at very forum friendly prices, lol, after the holidays) and a couple may just get pitched.

Some things just happen - I saw a ring made out of an old half crown while searching coins on Etsy and that and appreciating the Christmas pipes I'd seen from @Chasing Embers and his encouragement led me to @cramptholomew and a Christmas commission that is unique and terrific. That was a couple of years ago, but decided to revisit it this year and I'm very excited about where that is headed.

Sherlock Holmes got me started on Petersons and originally on pipes, period when I decided to finally given in after a lifetime of resisting (and those dominate my pipes, love so many of their shapes), hunting interest led me to certain Nording pipes, pre-war briar interest led me to even older briars, and so on. One thing I've found I didn't expect is normal, straight pipes (smaller versions excluded) aren't my favorite (of course, I bought one a couple of weeks ago, but that was for sentimental reasons) and I just need to stop thinking that will change.

So I'm hearing, "get on with it, what does this have to do with Meers?", lol.

My interest in finding century old briar led me to a couple of old Comoy's and a little Loewe and recently a gift of some old Comoy's from @ashdigger included a little Meer that I wanted to honor by using it (had never even considered getting a Meer) and some encouragement from him, @Chasing Embers and @hoosierpipeguy which led to getting my first Meer, which I got lucky with - the shape and stem are perfect for me and it's a great performing pipe - now I get it, haha.

Now I'm thinking whether I really "need" a Meer that incorporates some simple carving elements not common to the "usual" carving elements --- mine is smooth and I'd still like one with a pattern (not figural) for "grip". For now, I'm on the lookout new or used, but if I find an opportunity for a carver I'll probably be all over it, so if any of the Meer experts have ideas, would love to hear them.

Sorry for the side track - for me, letting my interests take me where they have led me to Meers and it's kind of funny to think that until that little pipe showed up I really wasn't reading anything about them or caring, frankly.

Anyway, maybe put all that under, "please have some more unexpressed thoughts on our Sundays"!
I have one smooth Meer. PITA to keep clean and it scars easily. While I like the pipe, no more smooth Meers for me.

PipeGarGuy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 1, 2022
So folks, Chasing Embers really came through for the restoration information, thanks again! Did I do okay on the price? $100 for 3 meers seems like a good deal to me but I know nothing about how to value them. They’re all block and I think the stems might be real amber, although I don’t know how to tell. Any meerschaum appraisers out there? I can take more pictures if needed.

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
Where are I don't mind the scars one bit. Adds character. They just seem to color slower.
My smooth meer colors faster and more even, my rusticated meer has a "ring" dead center of the bowl that colors not or really slow. The smooth parts of the square shank (the sides) began to color faster. I honestly don't care for a few scratches on a Meerschaum, but I think a rusticated and to lesser extent laticed Meerschaum attracts me more.

The last 2 weeks I have smoked my meerschaum almost exclusively and I've been really enjoying them, so a new meer is only one digital shopping cart away.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014

PipeGarGuy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 1, 2022
Well I got brave or impatient and took a buttner tool to my meers cuz I don’t have sandpaper. I took the cake down till I could see meer showing through. I don’t want to ream into the meer. They don’t look too bad now. Next I’ll soak the stems in lemon juice.E11BB191-388E-4099-9703-BCC32CBD8EF0.jpeg12EB55DF-2909-426F-938B-7AC4506DE39D.jpeg409B76DF-9664-4C26-AEEF-57D8D199D646.jpegD7B6B6CC-69C4-40B7-9115-61D23EC35774.jpeg0C012A39-D924-47A1-AACD-A06331088271.jpeg