PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
My IMPs are fairly traditional. Plus, that cased set came up to $60/pipe.

View attachment 171578
Those are really nice. Why is it that you seem to be able to get such a warm shade of color on your meerschaums whilst everything I have turns that terrible 'turd' brown color? I think its the tobacco I favor. Maybe I should send my pipes down to you for pre-coloring!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Simon,

PLEASE give me a heads up if you are going to do "a @Chasing Embers" and pitch all your cuttys in the trash can because of the "me toos" rotf
The cutty is a rare find, likely will never happen. It amazes me how few have their own pipe identity and not borrowing from another's. Even Harris has a major clone if anyone else has picked up on that.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Actually when ever you see old meerschaum 'cutty' pipes they are all mostly that 'turd' color. I have seen some beautifully colored figural pipes and then anything on the utilitarian scale like my poor old work horse pipes are deepest brown. Go figure. I guess it a mystery like does the light go off in the fridge when you close the door. rotf

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
The cutty is a rare find, likely will never happen. It amazes me how few have their own pipe identity and not borrowing from another's. Even Harris has a major clone if anyone else has picked up on that.
I'm guessing you see patterns in regular life a lot too. The "skill" has helped me in my current career, prior life as a line cook, and in regular life.

Once you see the patterns, the issue and resolution becomes more predictable to solve or create alternative options.

I don't have as fine of an eye for pipes as you, but can see the pattern too (and noticed a few others).

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
It has an inner bowl that is only connected to the outer book at the top and bottom. Some are carved with only tear shaped divots.

I’m lost, I don’t understand, any pictures to explain if it helps? hmm 🤔

Thanks

I don't smoke estates. Especially not meers. I want to color it all by myself. Like a badge of honor.

Don’t forget Unsmoked Estates... ;)

Reactions: didimauw

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I’m lost, I don’t understand, any pictures to explain if it helps?
On a true lattice, there's a gap between an outer bowl and an inner bowl.

20220928_035106.jpg

On many lattice carvings, the holes are just decorative circular or tear drop shaped depressions with no void between an outer shell and the inner bowl. No way to run a string between the holes.

20220928_035253.jpg

MCJ

Can't Leave
May 22, 2022
NW Connecticut
The two meers that I'm currently smoking (both vintage Andreas Bauer pipes): a billiard that I'm dedicating to Rattray's Red Rapparee and a Belge/Egg that I'm dedicating to Rattray's Brown Clunee. Both are pre-owned estate pipes, with very little usage (and coloring) on the billiard and more moderate usage (with start of coloring) on the Belge/Egg. Plan to smoke these regularly and see how color develops on them...

Attachments

• Andreas Bauer Billiard.JPG
    Andreas Bauer Billiard.JPG
    104.7 KB · Views: 13
  • Andreas Bauer Belge Egg.JPG
    Andreas Bauer Belge Egg.JPG
    104.6 KB · Views: 13