PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
That's is a beautiful shape. Do the cutty's get warm hence the knob like clay pipes?
Thank you, although it came with that beautiful patina, so I can't claim credit for it.

Some cutty said have rather thin walls, and they heat up somewhat.
Luckily all of mine have fairly thick walls and I don't have a problem handling them.

If it feels hot, I know I'm puffing too fast.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@chasingembers. And to act as a primitive heat exchanger as related to me by the dude in Paris circa 1982 that used to repair those style pipes. Apparently his Father used to make them as well. He was 84 in 1982 and WW1 vet who had his sky blue uniform hanging on the door of his workshop. The place is now a Starbucks I am reliably informed. You would have loved some of the stuff he had in his shop! Regarding clay pipes you are spot on although some of them had a flat foot so they could be sat down on a table. Who knows as its all lost to the mists of time these days.

Sharp_tungsten

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 25, 2021
Evans City Pennsylvania
They would still need a sleeve to protect the meerschaum from tenon friction. IMP, Altinay, SRV and a few others use a delrin sleeve that is glued to the inside of the mortise. Their stems can be inserted and removed like a briar. Never been a fan of spigots.
I have a couple reverse calabash meer's that are like pseudo spigots. I prefer banded meers so these suit my fancy.