PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Here are a couple more I photographed this morning. The 'big boy' is probably a traveling salesman pipe from the late 19th century. I have no idea who made it but it holds a massive charge of tobacco and burns for hours. I had another massive pipe of similar size that I gave to a very good friend of mine on here who collects old 'stuff' since he would certainly enjoy it more than I ever could just stuck in my smoking cabinet. The other two are just routine meerschaums with real amber stems from the latter part of the 19th century that I have been smoking this morning before breakfast. Enjoy and have a nice Labor Day Holiday!

thumbnail-2.jpeg

thumbnail-3.jpeg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Do you just take a chance when buying from these carvers then?
Don't we every time we order a pipe? If they have multiple good reviews or a return policy, it's not a totally blind purchase. I ordered this briar from etsy's Vienna Meerschaum shop and love it with no prior knowledge of the carver.

20210826_034754.jpg

Last edited:

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Don't we every time we order a pipe? If they have multiple good reviews or a return policy, it's not a totally blind purchase. I ordered this briar from etsy's Vienna Meerschaum shop and love it with no prior knowledge of the carver.

View attachment 95875
That's nice in a very strange sort of way - its a sort of modern art redux type of pipe. I don't normally go a bundle on figurines but that certainly speaks to me.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
That's nice in a very strange sort of way - its a sort of modern art redux type of pipe. I don't normally go a bundle on figurines but that certainly speaks to me.
I was watching Alien one night and foolishly searched for Xenomorph pipes and wasn't disappointed. The matching H.R. Giger inspired tamper sealed the deal and the pipe has a gimmick where when the chamber is capped and you blow through the stem, smoke comes out of the Alien's mouth. The custom stand brings the whole thing together.

Sharp_tungsten

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 25, 2021
Evans City Pennsylvania

View attachment 95875
Sad thing is I saved that very same store you mentioned. The alien pipes are awesome. Looks like he makes nice stuff. I took the chance and brought that Canadian pipe. I'll let everyone know how quality is when it arrives.

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
They should lol. I know they are pokey looking but I very much enjoy cobs. Just wish they had tougher stems lol.
Look up the cobs on Boswell Pipes site. Most come with a custom Boswell stem, which you can just swap into future cobs. There's some other sites that just make custom stems, but mine are from just buying Country Gents from Boswell. They are a very nice stem.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Here's the three Meers I smoke often, just took these photos. Haven't had these pipes for a year yet. The IMP has around 300 bowls smoked, hasn't colored to the extent I had hoped but it smokes nice. I smoked it 3 to 4 times per day the first six weeks or so. Overall, it's probably my favorite.

C473A3EA-87E9-4635-A273-0EECB1913754.jpeg

This Altınay has been smoked over 200 times and has colored nicely. Her drilled this pipe out to 4 mm for me and left the stern with some rough edges inside. I have to ram it with a bristle brush prior to each smoke for it to draw right. Slowly but surely I'm smoothing it out, hope it gets to where it isn't such a PITA.

0935E3B4-70F0-45F2-A4C9-1EA876D26227.jpeg

This SRV has been smoked about 150 times, I've dedicated it to a VaOr smoker. The bit is thicker than I'd prefer but it is wide and a tall button which makes it easy to clinch.

44DAD0AC-41F8-4422-9FA1-62C2BA0A0D9A.jpeg

I enjoy these Meers but I really wish the carvers would make custom stems and learn to drill to the same quality level as good Briar artisans. They clearly rely on the art more than the quality of the smoking experience. I might buy some more Meers but not sure. If I find a basket weave that fits my specs, I'll buy it. All the ones I've seen that I liked the carve were way too big. I bought one from Meerschaum Market and when I received it, discovered it wouldn't cleanly pass a pipe cleaner even though it was only a 1/8 bend. Sent it back.

I don't baby these Meers. They go with me in the car. They've been dropped on the floor. They seem to be quite durable and don't have to handled with kid gloves. Which is good because I'm way more of a smoker than a collector.

Sharp_tungsten

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 25, 2021
Evans City Pennsylvania
Look up the cobs on Boswell Pipes site. Most come with a custom Boswell stem, which you can just swap into future cobs. There's some other sites that just make custom stems, but mine are from just buying Country Gents from Boswell. They are a very nice stem.
Great minds think alike lol. I was actually just at boswells yesterday but they didn't have any fancy acrylic cobs in stock at the Chambersburg location. But I found a stash of Missouri Meerschaum Emeralds on amazon so one will be here Monday hopefully.