PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
View attachment 94426Akb claw meer received new from smoking pipes a week ago. Starting to color nicely

That's a platonic ideal of a claw meer. Love the stem! I don't really care for figural meerschaums or other carved shapes aside from "normal" pipe shapes, but for whatever reason I love claw and egg. I suppose it's fair to say that the claw and egg is a traditional shape at this point for a carved meer. I've seen some that are around 200 years old.

Sharp_tungsten

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 25, 2021
Evans City Pennsylvania
Thank you. I have a whole load of BBB's from the 1890's in a similar style. These style of meerschaum 'cutty' seem to survive quite well as they were rather robust. You tend to see quite a few of them show up on here independent of myself and weezell which sort of points to there semi-tough nature.
Sadly I got beat on ebay last week for this beauty. But I figured I'd snap a photo to remember her by lol. 182.50 greenbacks which I was questioning my IQ level as kept hitting bid lol.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210909-221811_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20210909-221811_eBay.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 5

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Thank you. I have a whole load of BBB's from the 1890's in a similar style. These style of meerschaum 'cutty' seem to survive quite well as they were rather robust. You tend to see quite a few of them show up on here independent of myself and weezell which sort of points to there semi-tough nature.
I can attest to that. This one from 1896 just bounced off the wooden floor when dropped without a scratch or chip. It has a replacement Bakelite stemimage.jpg

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
It is surprising how many historical pipes are kicking about. Someone on here had a couple of J RR Tolkien's pipes, Jim Inks has a couple from that famous U.S actor. If I remember correctly someone on here has a couple of 'Archies' pipes otherwise known as Cary Grant. Strange to think about it but these things are of limited appeal and really don't fetch a lot of money. I was interested in some of Edward VIII pipes when all the Duchess of Windsor stuff came up for auction but those surprisingly went for mental money.

Reactions: Sharp_tungsten

Sharp_tungsten

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 25, 2021
Evans City Pennsylvania
It is surprising how many historical pipes are kicking about. Someone on here had a couple of J RR Tolkien's pipes, Jim Inks has a couple from that famous U.S actor. If I remember correctly someone on here has a couple of 'Archies' pipes otherwise known as Cary Grant. Strange to think about it but these things are of limited appeal and really don't fetch a lot of money. I was interested in some of Edward VIII pipes when all the Duchess of Windsor stuff came up for auction but those surprisingly went for mental money.
That's insane. Didn't Einsteins only known pipe survive because he gave it to a woman who asked about it? That Twain pipe is burnt to hell as well lol.