PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jef

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2019
North Carolina
Bari was a value priced Danish brand, and this Bari Special Hand Cut 7200 is one of my favorite large pipes.

I bought this new and unsmoked from eBay a few years ago for $40 delivered, and like other Danes this pipe was pure torture to break in, and I feared it might burn it out. But after a couple of dozen bowls it began to form a cake, and now smokes cool and sweet with any blend.

View attachment 168500View attachment 168501View attachment 168502View attachment 168503View attachment 168504View attachment 168505View attachment 168506View attachment 168507View attachment 168508View attachment 168509View attachment 168510
What I like the most about Danish pipes is when I see the raw briar on top and on the end of the shank with straight grain radiating out, that means the maker had to use a huge plateaux of ancient age to make it.

View attachment 168512

Bari also hand cut their highly styled stems, for a nice custom touch.
I had a large Bari bent egg I bought 40 years ago. It was stolen while I was stationed with the Air Force at Incirlik Turkey. It was my favorite pipe at the time as well. I have a portrait of me and the wife where I am holding that pipe. I have been looking for one just like it ever since.

Love the look of your pipe. Enjoy!

jef

Papamique

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 11, 2020
That's quite nice. I find that old-i.e. circa 1970's-Danish freehands tend to have spectacular grain. I know my old Ben Wade does.

Preben was a legend and still is highly regarded as a mentor/teacher to some of the best Danish carvers. Selling his pipes internationally at such a young age and then passing away at a young age reminds me of a star that burn bright and hot and quickly burns out. I heard that he died from something alcohol related whether it was a physical or mental issue I have no idea but working with alcoholics myself I find a special connection with Preben’s pipes.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Preben was a legend and still is highly regarded as a mentor/teacher to some of the best Danish carvers. Selling his pipes internationally at such a young age and then passing away at a young age reminds me of a star that burn bright and hot and quickly burns out. I heard that he died from something alcohol related whether it was a physical or mental issue I have no idea but working with alcoholics myself I find a special connection with Preben’s pipes.
I too love Preben's pipes and have one Preben Holm that’s an absolute dream shape (pick axe that sits). I doubt he was the one who carved it though it bears his name.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
View attachment 194266
W.O. Larsen. I guess if it’s just marked “W.O. Larsen Handmade in Denmark,” there’s no way to tell the era or carver of this? I just got this it.
Scroll down to post #13 on this thread:

✌🏼

Reactions: dunnyboy

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
The cool thing about this Stanwell that I found is it won't not sit. If you put it down on a flat surface it will rock back and forth until it comes to a perfectly centred sitting position. Maybe that's not unusual but I found it cool. It was well made. Talk about balance. Nice smoker too.

IMG_3099.jpeg

milk

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
Scroll down to post #13 on this thread:

✌🏼
Thanks. Yes, I’d read that on Pipedia. I know it’s not the first period. I don’t know how to tell the difference between second and third. I’ve reread this a few times but it’s not computing. I think, and folks can give me their opinion, that it’s a very fine sandblast. Maybe it’s the finest I’ve owned. And the red stain is nice. I love the pipe. I’m not sure if I’m missing something about telling the difference between periods two and three. Two is more prestigious with very famous artists but three had Benni Jorgensen who I think is a master in his own right. I have a Viby, his second line, and it smokes better than any pipe I’ve ever smoked. I wish I could know more about this Larsen. ETA: my pipe says “W.O. LARSEN HANDMADE MADE IN DENMARK

Reactions: dunnyboy

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Apologies for my horrible photography/setting skills…

The Danes from my father’s collection he gave me last fall
Counter-clockwise from top left:
-Stanwell (reg’d) 90 apple
-Stanwell (reg’d) 70 volcano
-Iwan Ries (by Bari) pot-ish apple
-Nording Nordcoat freehand sitter
-no name basket brandy
-Royal Danish volcano
-Royal Danish billiard

I feel very fortunate to have inherited such a great “starter package”. I’ve cleaned them up, and unfortunately the Stanwell 90 suffered in the stem area after I tried flame removing oxidation.
Non pro tip: don’t try your hand with new things on one the best pipes you have…
0797B518-1CFD-4D97-834D-EC61F50CCB52.jpeg