PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Yes it is. Had that one in my watch list also. Looks like a one off sort of shape. And I just noticed this, sort of a variation on shape 114 in a way! It would be interesting to see the slot.

Screenshot_2020-02-13 Wo1 pdf.png

Screenshot_2019-08-24 Cook's Fine Pipe Works Smoking Pipe Repair Restoration(3).jpg

Reactions: cshubhra

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
What period would you define as a first era Larsen?
From noted Larsen collector Rob Cooper,

"There were three periods of pipe craftsmanship that took place during the tenure of Ole Larsen's ownership and stewardship of the Larsen name.

The first period, or the "Copenhagen Era" (Very early 1960's to the early 1970's) (The pipes were stamped "Larsen (over) Copenhagen") are the ones that have dominated my pipe collection. They are the pipes that were crafted by Poul Rasmussen (the former husband of Anne Julie), Sven Knudsen (Teddy's older brother and mentor), and Hans "Former" Nielsen (when he was just a youngster!). These pipes were produced in two series - numbered standard shapes and one of a kind "Straight Grain" handmade freehands. The pipes of this era were crafted from Algerian briar, according to my friend Former Nielsen (he would know!). There were even two series of the numbered pipes, as the production facility suffered a fire and the master shapes had to be re-carved! The "Straight Grain" pipes were typically stamped from F, then 1 to 6 in ascending grade order. There were no "Pearls" crafted at this time. The highest grades were stamped as high as an "8", but these were extremely rare. The stamping grades of from this era were much more stringent than in later times. The majority of the "Straight Grain" pipes from this era were finished in a light to medium natural stain. Most shank adornments were crafted from buffalo horn of a lighter color. These "Copenhagen" era pipes are considered by pipe collectors around the world as the most desirable, as these are prime examples of mid century modern Danish design that were crafted by the early masters of the pipe making art. These are the most organic looking and the most important as far market desirability is concerned."

Reactions: mau1

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
@dmcmtk ,Thanks Dave. Great info. Now it begs the question, what were the other 2 periods of Larsen? And if I may, where are you pulling this information from? Thanks!

Rob was selling some of his pipes a few years back, so he put the information in his listings. Here's the rest,

"The second period (Mid 1970's to the mid to late 1980's) is the most famous period, as this is the era of Teddy Knudsen, Tonni Nielsen, and Former Nielsen, along with the occasional pipe crafted by Jess Chonowitsch, Peter Hedegaard, PH Vigen, and a few others. These pipes were stamped "Larsen Hand Made in Denmark" with no "Copenhagen" stamping. The staining of the bowls were more varied than the era before. The pipes crafted during this time began to show a more refined shaping, and the use of adornment materials expanded from lighter colored horn to now a darker color, bamboo, ivory, amber composite both for trim and stem work, and later in this period, some exotic hardwood for the trim, as Ole had explained to me that ivory was not as stable on airplane shipping and would sometimes arrive cracked. The pipes of this era are the most commonly found.

The third era was from the very late 1980's until the firm was sold in the late 1990's. The font stampings on the pipes is different - more modernized. Benni Jorgensen was the primary carver of the straight grain pipes at this time."

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Great stuff, Dave. I have one or two Larsen's that I will have to pull out and see what period they fall in to. I love my Danish pipes puffy I appreciate you sharing your information!

Reactions: Humblepipe

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
Rob was selling some of his pipes a few years back, so he put the information in his listings. Here's the rest,

"The second period (Mid 1970's to the mid to late 1980's) is the most famous period, as this is the era of Teddy Knudsen, Tonni Nielsen, and Former Nielsen, along with the occasional pipe crafted by Jess Chonowitsch, Peter Hedegaard, PH Vigen, and a few others. These pipes were stamped "Larsen Hand Made in Denmark" with no "Copenhagen" stamping. The staining of the bowls were more varied than the era before. The pipes crafted during this time began to show a more refined shaping, and the use of adornment materials expanded from lighter colored horn to now a darker color, bamboo, ivory, amber composite both for trim and stem work, and later in this period, some exotic hardwood for the trim, as Ole had explained to me that ivory was not as stable on airplane shipping and would sometimes arrive cracked. The pipes of this era are the most commonly found.

The third era was from the very late 1980's until the firm was sold in the late 1990's. The font stampings on the pipes is different - more modernized. Benni Jorgensen was the primary carver of the straight grain pipes at this time."

dmcmtk, you favor one era over the other? Probably subjective, just wondering how you feel about the different eras...

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
dmcmtk, you favor one era over the other? Probably subjective, just wondering how you feel about the different eras...
I have pipes from all three, all good smokers. If I like a shape, I'm there. A few pipes, a "third period" Straight Grain 10 by Tonni Nielsen (old pictures),

wolsraightgrain 004.jpgwolsraightgrain 006.jpg

and a "second period" W.O. Larsen Globe with a tapered square shank,

larsen115globefin 006.JPGlarsen115globefin 012.JPG

and A W.O. Larsen Straight Grain 1 (ebay pics),

wolsg1.jpgwolsg12.jpg

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
Really?! You had to post these? Ha, ha... big time envy over here.

I am particularly fond of the chunky stem on the "second period" W.O. Larsen Globe.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Now you got me started...

A W.O. Larsen Select with interesting shaping of the shank, angled on top, rounded on the bottom,

selectfin 008.jpg
selectfin 019.jpg

Two Bulldogs, the Squat one in front by Soren Refbjerg, and in back shape 124 which I've always thought was a Poul Ilsted design (there's also a straight version, shape 123)
larsenbenni 001.jpg

Shape 122, a Super (I'd guess Former)

larsen122 008.jpg

and a nice panelled Brandy, a Select,

larsen select723 005.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Humblepipe
Status
Not open for further replies.