Stamped 'Made in Denmark' and 'H.C. Andersen'

Not a Stanwell.

VljJ03z.jpg

3kvRHPF.jpg

runscott

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
So I thought I'd post the above pipe in this forum, because Pipesmagazine has the reputation of having the most knowledgeable people when it comes to pipes.

So if anyone has any thoughts on this, I'd appreciate hearing them. Thanks.

Reactions: JOHN72

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
So I thought I'd post the above pipe in this forum, because Pipesmagazine has the reputation of having the most knowledgeable people when it comes to pipes.

So if anyone has any thoughts on this, I'd appreciate hearing them. Thanks.
Photos of the nomenclature (stamping) please.
Those freehand Danes all look alike ?

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Although your pipe is stamped "H C Andersen" it is NOT a Stanwell HC Andersen series shape (the ones with both churchwarden and standard stems).
I have not come across a Stanwell plateau-topped freehand shape that is stamped "HC Andersen" before.

You DID state "not a Stanwell"

According to Pipedia "There is no end of confusion about Mr. Andersen pipes, and perhaps Mr. Anderson pipes"

Sorry, I can't shed any further light on your pipe. Perhaps a Danish pipe collector can chime in.

runscott

Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Yes, same googling I did before posting here.

I knew nothing about Stanwells, but others insisted that this was one. A more knowledgeable friend told me several reasons why he was certain this was NOT a Stanwell, and they all make perfect sense.

It was probably made by an unknown 'Andersen' from Denmark. The stamp is so crappy that it could say 'H.O.' rather than 'H.C.'.

Reactions: JOHN72

runscott

Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Great Scott! Cecil, is that you? What an absolute tube! Lol

Haha. Yes, good to see you! I am trying to mosly post about pipes and pipe history, so I had to abandon 'your' forum - just nothing going on there other than "ate an apple, did my walk, smoked blah blah blah...". So I will post my esoteric stuff here and hope a few of the experts will find it at least somewhat interesting.

I smoked this pipe yesterday and it's quite a great smoker - I think it's that sharp upward angle of the shank, as I have a similar-design pipe that also smokes very nicely.

Flatfish

Jan 20, 2022
West Wales
Is "a Dane" a particular style, or does it just mean made in Denmark?

My untrained eye is not really noticing a theme in terms of style.
They all look nice mind.

Danes are some of my favorite carvers followed closely by USA. Here are a few Danes of mine:

jess.jpg
Jess Chonowitsch

IMG_5304.jpg
From Left to Right: Tom Eltang Arne Jacobson, S. Bang, Teddy Knudsen, S. Bang and on the end is a Barling Motordome (from England, It just happened to be in this picture :) )

taurus haul.jpg
These things were from a recent auction so not all of them are Danes. Left to Right Brad Pohlmann, Ashton Old Church, Nanna Ivarsson, Another Nanna Ivarsson (I just love her pipes..) and a S. Bang The tampers are Ming Kahuna's work.

Reactions: jmsmitty6