PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
My Washington and Great Dane. I had a Diplomat too, but I gave it to a friend before I ever had the chance to smoke it.

Reactions: Charlie718

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
Old thread, I know, but I may as well add mine. I'm always looking for more of any of these.
Bunch of old cobs of the type I like: cob shanks and/or reed stems.

pBVKVha.jpg

Old Tibbe's corncob disassembled.

uvVHdar.jpg

If anyone has any more of these for sale, let me know.

apiperisdown

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 28, 2014
I’m liking the Huck Finn onepyrotec! The unfinished bowls are my favorites. With the shortened shank and an regular Eaton’s stem it would make a perfect shirt pocket companion. I have a Forever stem on order from Dave Walker that would fit it I’m sure. I don’t see it on the MM web site yet, any idea how to get one?

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
They were pre-release gifts that went out in the P&C's goodies bag for IPSD orders over $75. I can't say for sure they are ready for sale, but try calling MM and asking if you can buy some now. If the pipe is in stock they will sell it to you. You can even have custom pipes made there for a small fee. 8)
The original stem isn't long for the world, I have piles of cheap acrylic stems (near identical to forever stems minus the dot) that I re-drill the air-ways the way I like them.

apiperisdown

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 28, 2014
Thanks for the information onepyrotec. I will indeed give them a call. I use a few Forever Stems, my current favorite is the nose warmer length on a straight MM Legend or Pride. It makes the overall length of the pipe about 5 1/8 inches long but that Huck Finn will bring in more possibilities for sure. :D

jonasclark

Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
Now if only we could get back the reed stems, or bamboo. I'm going to buy some bamboo stakes at the garden store and see if I can boil them and bend them. Too bad I doubt MM will try to turn the fancier old styles., but I wonder if they'd drill the air hole to a certain size if I asked... Does anybody know whether the dark finish on some bowls (they've told me they'll do that on any pipe for a price) is actual friction-burnishing or just an applied finish?

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
http://www.olddominionpipe.com/

Old Dominion Pipe Co. (site sponsor) has reed stems. I plan on getting some soon as they are able to make the "Virginia Planter" shape again.
http://www.rsantiapipes.com/pipes-by-riccardo-santia.html

R. Santia can make you a reed stemmed or bamboo shank pipe and customize the bowl shape too.
I do believe I saw a video of MM rubbing wood blocks on the pipes to create a friction burnish finish.

aristokles

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2011
These look great. I can see I need to get some new ones. All mine look like refugees from trench warfare.

Briar Boy

(astrange1)
Apr 8, 2013
My one and only cob, a custom 5th Avenue "Tamp & Puff 2014" Slow Smoking Contest pipe pictured with the Black Rose Walker Briar Works Forever Stem and Rodgers Pipe Knife I won for taking 4th place in the contest...

RWj7Pzhl.jpg

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Medico Corncob Pipe

I never knew Medico sold cobs until I saw a pile of them for sale at the local discount smoke shop. I picked out the best looking specimen and bought it for myself for Father's Day. It didn't say anything on the packaging but it looks very much like a MM legend.

I've been breaking it in with Solani Aged Burley Flakes and it smokes wonderfully. Good price too. :puffy:

Reactions: Puffaluffaguss

thesmokingtexan

Can't Leave
Jul 11, 2014
mark-twain-150x112.jpg

My new Mark Twain MM Pipe. This one has a significant capacity. The thickness of the bowl also gives a good sturdy feel that I would not have expected from a corn cobe pipe.

redbeard

Jan 2, 2013
Well unfortunately I was never able to pick up one of those smoking dragon cobs while they were being made. The funds were never available but I did get my next favorite type of cob today. And well within my price range!! 2.99 for this baby UNSMOKED! I have been wanting one of these for some time also and never wanted/could dish out the 15-25 bucks they were selling for on the bay. I think I can manage 2.99 :rofl:
I can't wait to get it, I'm not sure why I wanted one so badly. I suppose since it is different, not made in this style any longer, and piece of history. (To me)