PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sjfine

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 4, 2012
I have two SmokinDragons: one with a bamboo shank, and one with a bamboo stem. I love them both.
But, I am wondering where to get the bamboo (maybe I mean reed) stems that can be used to replace the shank and stem on MM's.

Reactions: Charlie718
Jul 12, 2011
@sjfine ~ Hi Brother, My non-lucite custom cob designs use reed stems as seen in the below design. You can sometimes get them from Penn Valley as they use them on their Pamplin clay bowls
thesmokindragon-blackwidow-wash-reed-600x448.jpg

Reactions: Sweet Home Alabama
Here are a couple that I customized.
2013-11-12%2014.24.05.jpg

I added the stem, but it came about 1mm too thick and made the pipe way too uncomfortably long for me. So, I hacked back the stummel a little and banded it after I bored it out. The band is copper on this one, because I like the way the color works with the blue.
2013-11-12%2014.26.35.jpg

The same on this MM General, except the I made the band out of sterling silver. As a jeweler, I enjoy adding tidbits of stone and metal to my stuff. I am thinking about making my next project a corncob spigot :D

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
http://www.rsantiapipes.com/
He is a corn cob pipe customizer. He takes the basic MM cobs and puts some style to them...if you like that sort of thing in a cob.