casop01b.jpg

casop01c.jpg

casop01d.jpg

casop01e.jpg

casop01f.jpg

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
Philo - Thomas does have exceptional taste in Castello's. I think he takes great joy in buying the Castello's, that I hope do not sell, so I may buy them!!!!
Regards

Michael J. Glukler

fishingandpipes

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2013
I REALLY like that bent egg, seems to be a new shape from them. I guess I'm on the lookout for one with decent grain in a smooth of sorts. It never ends, does it.

Oct 7, 2016
I love that tiny 55. Never seen one before.
They are out there, scarce to non-existent at the moment, but they will likely show up again in limited quantities. Then they will be scarce to non existent again.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
It was very irresponsible of me to look trough here. Maximum PAD attack.
ANYWAY...
These are amazingly beautiful, guys!

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
npod, thanks. It feels gratifying to hear it from someone who has a very extensive Castello collection. That little 31g 4" shape 55 would be great as a travel or on-the-move, short-smoke pipe.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Well, from one old geezer to another, thanks for the comment! I just figured the Trademark line was the lest desirable, although a nice pipe to be sure.
@tschiraldi, Thanks for the compliment! You've got some unbelievably beautiful Castellos, and one of them, the Sea Rock KK with the silver trim ring looks a little familiar. Mine is almost the same except the bowl is rusticated on top and my trim ring is actually an aftermarket repair ring. I do love my Castellos though, wonderfully made and great smokers!

9mmpuffer

Might Stick Around
Mar 1, 2018
wow, some real stunners here!
If I was going to collect a brand of briars, it would definitely be Castello

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I just figured the Trademark line was the lest desirable, although a nice pipe to be sure.

@Orley, that red stem of yours - rare - desirable. And echoed with the comments above.
That is actually a tricky quote above, one repeated often. I always remind people that all Castello briar is the same! They all come from the same aging bins (10 years generally!) and thus all lines have the same dynamics, taste (oh that distinct aged briar taste), etc. It's only the external finish that makes them a certain "grade". Trademarks are less expensive than Collection/Fiammata, but that might be "desirable" to some (many probably), because you get a great pipe at less cost, especially estate pipes. It all depends on what the end game is. For collecting, yeah the higher grades might be more "desirable", but it's only a piece of the puzzle, and Castello surely knows that. It's like they have a PhD in knowing how to release their pipes to the public.
Here is a shot of the briar bins (copied from SPC).

castello2012_5.jpg

This Trademark grade Castello is one of my favorites. It goes everywhere with me as a travel pipe. Desirable for me.

7EcyyFn.jpg

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Some very nice pipes, all! I love the colored stems but what caught my eye besides how good the red/ruby stem looks with the red Trademark stain is that it that a colored stem was paired with a smooth pipe. You don't see that very often. 8O

Reactions: Searock Fan