SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Oct 7, 2016
Let's not talk too much about Castello Trademarks. The perception should remain that they are the least desirable Castellos.
Carlo Scotti is reputed to have said " I am a pipe maker, not God." Some older Trademarks I have seen have visible fissures - small, but visible. Some have large bald spots and at best mixed grain. I have never had one that didn't smoke like a Fiamatta.
But we all know the roughs smoke better than the smooths. Just ask Franco Coppo. :)

Reactions: Searock Fan

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
My latest acquisition - a Collection grade 215 Fancy Bent Dublin with Briar flock. 6.2 inches long, 1.9 inches

tall, 37g.
SlSb2Iv.jpg

FxiDDbb.jpg

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
My apologies! I wasn't fast enough to edit! It's a 225 (Bent Dublin) not a 215 (Bent Billiard). Horrible typo!

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
Some truly gorgeous Castello's show in this thread. The question is ... why Castello? Here are my reasons and how I came to being a Castello fan.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWtUAsTAOes
Regards

Michael J. Glukler

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
iDjTqiX.jpg

Silver Banded Castellos. They all mean something special to me.
- Daschund - my love of dogs and their comanionship

- Il Gufo de Castello - Education, because I was in school or training for 27 years

- Hawk - I was born and raised in Iowa, reminds me of home, Hawkeye state

- Milano - food, family, wheat motif, grain signifies rewards of work and growth

- Opera #44 - signifies my very long wait for this pipe, oversized with silver band, patience is a virtue
FZewRbm.jpg

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Castello - Shape 44, Oval, Opera - 7-Day Set

5lg1w91.jpg

After a long journey of waiting, looking, calling, trading, and praying, I have completed my Castello 7-day set of shape 44 (Opera, Oval). The final two pieces were procured this past weekend at the Chicago show, and the seller was a well known collector who parted with not only one, but two 44's to help me complete the set. A bit of history on this shape, it is one of the rarest shapes released by Castello. Up until the 21st century, it was only in Perla Nera, and in fact the Perla Nera stain was only used on the Opera/44 pipes. Thus, most older Opera/44 pipes have no date stamp and no K stamp. They were just the Opera pipe NOS (not otherwise specified). Around the years 2000-2002 two things happened, 1)Opera's were made in small quantities in all finishes, and 2)Perla Nera stain was used on all other shapes. My final two pieces were Perla Nera. The rarest is the saddle stem Perla Nera, it is stamped N1, and that denotes it was made for Novelli in Rome. Marco Parascenzo, the owner of Novelli and the U.S. Castello distributor, confirmed to me personally that this pipe was made for his father around 1970-1980s. He was sentimental over the pipe. He also filled in gaps in my knowledge about the history above. Needless to say, I'm very content.
BUWMZwK.jpg

8lwmxd4.jpg

Original N1 Opera, saddle stem, Perla Nera, with the old faded white inlay.

q6ZcJfy.jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
@BriarBlues - great video, and no, not boring!
@npod - fantastic, thanks for sharing those pictures and the details of your search. I love a hunt!

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Great Castello metalhead! She will become a good friend and color well over the yesrs. I love the panel shapes. Personally, i do not baby the rims on the virgin pipes. I like to see them get dark or even crusted with cake. It is a good “i smoke this pipe” look.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Set of Castello Le Dune’s. Massive (GG) shape 55 and a sleek Liverpool shape 12. I love them dearly. The big 55 is a Flake smoking machine dedicated to G.L. Pease Key Largo.

494jcrq.jpg

Reactions: ak2000

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Great Looking Pipes! I love the le Dune carving. I am patiently waiting for an estate in one of my shapes to show up. 8O

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Love the lighter Dave! Also, I can’t remember but was it you that has the Castello walking stick also?