PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
I seem to be destined to be buying only post transition Barlings. I recently bought a nice Guinea Grain Dublin shape that has some nice grain, and is a nice little smoker. Then I found this interesting little paneled pot. Yes, it's a small pipe, but I quite like them for stronger tobaccos. As usual, post transition pipes are impossible to date, but it doesn't seem like this is very new one. Who knows, I just like smoking them.

View attachment 35158

View attachment 35159

View attachment 35160
Does it have a number on it?
I recently sold this one ,it is a 3858 with the Barling's Make marking so can be accurately dated to 1962.Yours may well be soon afters-l1600.jpg

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com

aguineapig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2014
Fun to live vicariously thru these threads. I did finally get an old Comoys (184) on ebay, the only estate I've nabbed of any pedigree. And I check antique shops. Hopefully someday I score a good one -- can't afford ebay. But boy are some of these beauties!!!!

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Apr 7, 2020
Lake Zurich, IL
Good Evening,

Just picked up my first two Barling's for my collection.

Could an expert (Mr. Silver haha) help me out by answering a couple of questions?

This doesn't concern my pipes, but I'm curious all the same:
What does the stamp "TVF" denote? I've scoured the internet searching for an answer and I'm coming up empty.

Could you please help me narrow down the production years of my pipes?

First one is a meerschaum.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

Second one is a Guinea-Briar pot.
004-002-19117_1.2274.jpg
004-002-19117.6377.jpg

Thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge with me.

Hope all is well.

- AJ

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Jesse will know better about the Meer. The Guinea Grain, post war, "pre-transition" family era pipe, and a very nice example. T.V.F. - The Very Finest.

Reactions: trubka2

lelik

Lifer
Aug 21, 2019
Good Evening,

Could an expert (Mr. Silver haha) help me out by answering a couple of questions?

What does the stamp "TVF" denote? I've scoured the internet searching for an answer and I'm coming up empty.

View attachment 35603
View attachment 35604
View attachment 35605

View attachment 35606
View attachment 35607

Hope all is well.

- AJ
Really nice meerschaum .

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Good Evening,

View attachment 35603
View attachment 35604
View attachment 35605

View attachment 35606
View attachment 35607

Hope all is well.

- AJ
The initials, TVF stand for "The Very Finest" which was once a grading. Your guinea Grain Pot is from the 1950's thru 1962. The meer's finish was called "Golden Emperor", the color wasn't the result of smoking, it was applied. These date to the period after Imperial sold the IP to an investor group led by former Barling General Manager Ron Harden, who sought to restore the make to it's former glory, setting up operations on the Isle of Man in 1980. It was made for Barling by Laxey Pipes Ltd. which was also situated on the Isle of Man. The meerschaum was provided by the Tanganyika Meerschaum Corporation. Besides Barling, Laxey made pipes for Peterson and Nording.

Nice pipes!

Apr 7, 2020
Lake Zurich, IL
The initials, TVF stand for "The Very Finest" which was once a grading. Your guinea Grain Pot is from the 1950's thru 1962. The meer's finish was called "Golden Emperor", the color wasn't the result of smoking, it was applied. These date to the period after Imperial sold the IP to an investor group led by former Barling General Manager Ron Harden, who sought to restore the make to it's former glory, setting up operations on the Isle of Man in 1980. It was made for Barling by Laxey Pipes Ltd. which was also situated on the Isle of Man. The meerschaum was provided by the Tanganyika Meerschaum Corporation. Besides Barling, Laxey made pipes for Peterson and Nording.

Nice pipes!
Wow! Thanks for the details Mr. Silver. I had no idea on the meerschaum. I printed this out and am keeping it with the pipes. Learning the history of the pipe is sometimes just as enjoyable as smoking it.

Thanks for helping this newbie out.
Your expertise is much appreciated.
- AJ

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
18614208-orig.jpg

18614210-orig.jpg

18614211-orig.jpg

johng99

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2020
Lake Havasu City
After lurking here for quite some time (and admiring the pipes) I thought that I should post some of the Barlings that I own. These are all smokers - some in better condition than others. Some have very legible stamps, some are very hard to see and can only be read with a strong light. Most have the stem Barling cross polished to where there is barely remnant that it is there. But without exception these are the best smoking pipes I own. Some almost have a sweet, kind of creamy taste that is hard to define. In descending order:

Barling's Make Ye Olde Wood T.V.F 250
Barling's Make Ye Olde Wood T.V.F 554
Barling's Make Ye Olde Wood T.V.F Straight Grain (this is a big pipe!)
Barlings Make (Small Stamp) 5001 Made in London England (on other side)
Barlings Make (Small Stamp) 5174

I assume the last two are transition pipes from 1962. They have the small stamping and the 4 digit model numbers.

Thanks everyone for all the great information - and especially Sablebrush!

Barling Pre 250 YOW TVF.jpg
Barling Pre 554 YOW TVF.jpg
Barling Pre YOW TVF SG.jpgBarling Trans 5001.jpgBarling Trans 5174.jpg

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
After lurking here for quite some time (and admiring the pipes) I thought that I should post some of the Barlings that I own. These are all smokers - some in better condition than others. Some have very legible stamps, some are very hard to see and can only be read with a strong light. Most have the stem Barling cross polished to where there is barely remnant that it is there. But without exception these are the best smoking pipes I own. Some almost have a sweet, kind of creamy taste that is hard to define. In descending order:

Barling's Make Ye Olde Wood T.V.F 250
Barling's Make Ye Olde Wood T.V.F 554
Barling's Make Ye Olde Wood T.V.F Straight Grain (this is a big pipe!)
Barlings Make (Small Stamp) 5001 Made in London England (on other side)
Barlings Make (Small Stamp) 5174

I assume the last two are transition pipes from 1962. They have the small stamping and the 4 digit model numbers.

Thanks everyone for all the great information - and especially Sablebrush!

View attachment 38184
View attachment 38185
View attachment 38186View attachment 38187View attachment 38188
NIICE pipes!