Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
1909_barling_motor_windcap-600x450.jpg

rebornbriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2013
United Kingdom
Very nice sable. Do you know the year of that pipe? It is very like flakyjakey's from the forum. I will post pictures of 2 of his pipes I restored on his behalf as I know he struggles with adding images ;) Both are from 1914. The silver dome on the bent pipe rotates so that the air inlet grill can be moved to suit the wind.
lm0a.jpg

v7gr.jpg

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
@reborn, thanks. I am just freakin' hopeless at this technical stuff (sad face). I also have a beautiful 1916 and a 40's 'Straightgrain' !! LOL (smug face)

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Gorgeous pipes, flakyjakey! Mine is from 1909. I've seen the revolving turret retrofit on a few pipes. It's a clever idea. BTW, the WW1 era Barling catalog that I own lists this windscreen as a "Motor" model.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
@sablebrush, thanks. That has made my day! I can just imagine a moneyed English gentleman motoring along with my pipe clenched firm, goggles on and oil spatters over his face!! LOL

Reactions: OverMountain

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
@timely, thanks. Although my Barling's are museum pieces, they are not 'show pieces'. I smoke them all at least once a month, and the two shown I smoke every Sunday.
I often wonder what tobaccos were smoked in them. What might have been 'de rigeur' for a moneyed piper in 1914?

Reactions: aquadoc

rebornbriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2013
United Kingdom
Love the grain on your pipe sable. As you know Barling were not always overly concerned with producing nicely grained pipes and paid more emphasis on producing great smoking pipes, so when I see an old Barling with great grain it is a double bonus for me. I don't have any to show myself, I am just a pipe admirer!
The grain on Flaky's pipes doesn't show well on these pictures because of the dark bowl colour and light background contrast. The bent pipe is cross cut with some of the tightest birds-eye grain I have seen on both flanks and the close cross grain front and back. The straight pipe has all round flame grain similar to the others shown.

Aug 1, 2012
Some beautiful Barling's pipes there guys. I have 2 that are in my rotation and another that came in an estate lot and is waiting for a resto.
Sorry for the non-Barling's pipes cluttering up the pics but I'm lazy.
Pre-trans Barling's fossil EL with a Comoy's

00-comoy-and-barling-1-600x450.jpg

1962 Barling's Make with an Estella

barling-and-estella-600x450.jpg

The ugly duckling. A Barling's Make YOW 253 ExEL Canadian in urgent need of a resto. I'll get to it after the Patent Dunhill is done. (Hopefully I'll have that one done on a couple weeks, it's almost there.)

dscn3043-600x450.jpg

dscn3044-600x450.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Latakia Dave
May 31, 2012
Great thread here!
Would like to see more!

Also, any talk of the famous Barling stem, what makes them so comfortable?
One day I'll get me a good Barling!
As for 'de rigeur' baccie back then, hard to tell 'cause there were so many to choose from!
Perhaps if the pipeman was patriotic, he'd broke her in with this?

6Vv3Mwq.jpg

...otherwise, the best source of a complete list of available baccies back in the day that've I've seen, is this publication from 1935, not quite 1914, but pretty close...
You can view online page by page, but it displays sideways:

http://legacy.library.ucsf.edu/tid/wzj09b00/
The pdf version is easier to read, at least on my browser...

http://legacy.library.ucsf.edu/tid/wzj09b00/pdf
From this 1935 list, here's the most "high-class" expensive blends,

listed at cost per 2 oz. --
The olde English currency style is interesting, I think the top-biller here would be the Knight Banneret at three and three, or, three shillings and three pence?
Carreras Knight Banneret Mixture -- 3/3

Carreras Sir Phillips Mixture ----- 3/2

Carreras Cromwell ----------------- 3/1

John McKinnell Royal Assyrian Mixture -- 3/1

John Cotton's Smyrna -------------- 3/-

A. Heronimos Lapika Oriental Smoking Mixture -- 3/-

John Wood & Son Harrow Mixture ---- 2/10

Dobie Canmore Mixture ------------- 2/8

Dunhill London Mixture ------------ 2/8

Lambert & Butler Garrick Mixture -- 2/8

Chairman's Indian Fakir Mixture --- 2/7

Cope's Escudo --------------------- 2/6

R&J Hill Bridle Path Tobacco ------ 2/6

Player's Navy Cut de Luxe --------- 2/6

Ardath Mixture -------------------- 2/6

Abdulla Smoking Mixture ----------- 2/5

Fryer's Special Smokynge Mixture -- 2/5

Gallaher Harlequin Flake ---------- 2/5

Bell's Three Nuns ----------------- 2/5

Thomson & Porteous Mound Mixture -- 2/5

Reactions: ophiuchus

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
@misterlowercase, "no one is indispensable", or so it is said. But on this site, you are!! LOL

The point about the "Barling Stem" is interesting. I know nothing about briar pipe construction, but from my experience of smoking these ancient masterpieces their 'draw' is remarkable - as smooth as silk - and IMHO equalled only by some of my very early Dunhill Shells.
Sablebrush, I agree. And, if you don't mind, I will send you my other Barling's pics as an e-mail attachment. You could post them for me, if you don't mind being misused in this way? This simple technical ask remains beyond my reach, I'm ashamed to admit!! lol

May 31, 2012
LOL

Well, I'll argue that I'm pretty dispensable!

I used to have business cards that contained the line "idiot at large" LOL
About the Barling stem, I've read how people think they're comfortable, and I've been intrigued with them, particularly the saddle flat-bite style, that design almost seems like a trademark, actually, some had that reg'd #, was the stem design registered?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The Barlings were nothing if not inventive. You can see samples of their patents on the Pipedia page. (Shameless plug here...) The flat bit, whether on a saddle or tapered stem, offered a wide flat shape that was comfortable in the mouth and had a deep opening that tapered out from the airway to spread the smoke and to help avoid tongue bite.

This design was patented in England and then the US. The reg'd number is the patent number. Barling applied for the US patent in 1935 and received a grant of patent in 1936 that ran for 14 years. So if your pipe has a reg'd number on the stem, assuming that the stem s original to the pipe, your pipe will have been made sometime between 1936 and 1950.

Flaky, I'll be happy to post any pictures that you send to me.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
@sablebrush, that's interesting. The stems/mouthpieces on my WW 1 pipes are not particularly comfortable. They are very hard and almost circular. They are however VERY robust - even 'Big Bertie' had only the merest teeth chatter on the bottom of the bit, presumably from the lower incisors - it is not an easy clench, but the bowl has a marvellous 'hand feel' and stays warm (not hot) throughout the smoke.
Can you explain why IMO these old Barling's have such wonderful 'drawing' qualities?
Thanks about the pics - will email them to you later