PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Hey, @sablebrush52!

I hope this message finds you well.

I was wondering if you could lend me your expertise again to help my identify and date a pipe. It belongs to a friend. I looked around some and did not find too much info on these markings, but I believe it to be a post-trans BB&S? Is it made in England?View attachment 32562View attachment 32563 What do you think?
You're correct about the period. It would have been made in England, though not necessarily by Barling. After the factories were shuttered, Barling pipes were made by Charatan and Oppenheimer before manufacture was outsourced to Nording in Denmark

virkia

Lifer
Jan 30, 2020
I've uploaded a few of my more interesting (at least I think so) Barlings to show. I'll post one on a given day. Today's is a 1907 Barling Bulldog with a silver spigot mount, sterling windscreen, and horn stem. I apologize for the picts not being better, but hope that you enjoy them anyway.
1907_barling_windscreen_3-600x450.jpg

1907_barling_windcap_21-600x450.jpg
Bit puzzled by the hoop on the spigot and the lack of a matching hoop on the bowl furniture as in my experience the hoop on the spigot should be matched by a hoop on the bowl furniture . . . just looking at a cased MF pipe from the 1880s there are similar hoops on the shank mount and on the removable bowl cap with interesting connectors (so practical and smart were the Victorians that one can smoke the pipe with or without the cap as the chain is also detachable).
Do you think it's possible that the stem was originally attached by the chain to a pipe with a detachable cap/crown?

Anyway, own a number of antique briars with the EB WB stamp but nearly all on pipes from other makers.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Bit puzzled by the hoop on the spigot and the lack of a matching hoop on the bowl furniture as in my experience the hoop on the spigot should be matched by a hoop on the bowl furniture . . . just looking at a cased MF pipe from the 1880s there are similar hoops on the shank mount and on the removable bowl cap with interesting connectors (so practical and smart were the Victorians that one can smoke the pipe with or without the cap as the chain is also detachable).
Do you think it's possible that the stem was originally attached by the chain to a pipe with a detachable cap/crown?

Anyway, own a number of antique briars with the EB WB stamp but nearly all on pipes from other makers.
Good question! Actually, there is a loop on the shank cap end of the spigot. It's just hidden by the angle and the the pipe stand.
I've seen some beautiful silver work on BBB's that Barling did in the 1880's, before BBB set up their own smithy and some Bewlay branded pipes. What other makes do you have with Barling sterling?

Reactions: jpmcwjr and virkia

virkia

Lifer
Jan 30, 2020
Good question! Actually, there is a loop on the shank cap end of the spigot. It's just hidden by the angle and the the pipe stand.
I've seen some beautiful silver work on BBB's that Barling did in the 1880's, before BBB set up their own smithy and some Bewlay branded pipes. What other makes do you have with Barling sterling?
* RE: BARLING STAMPS: Looking again at pipes I bought in the 1970s and '80s I can only find three:-
(1) Large size bent stamped J. TAYLOR MANCHESTER on the shank (and in the case) w/ E.B W.B stamps on the band and bowl furniture.
(2)&(3) Two no maker bent w/ the E.B W.B stamp on the mounts.
* RE: BBB STAMPS: A.F. & Co / L.B / H.M but alas no Barling silver.
* The only Bewlay pipe I have is a late one from the 1920s and that's stamped B & Co.

Off topic but do you by chance have any knowledge of pipe maker B.C in a horizontal lozenge and E.I G.I H.J on the silver?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
* RE: BARLING STAMPS: Looking again at pipes I bought in the 1970s and '80s I can only find three:-
(1) Large size bent stamped J. TAYLOR MANCHESTER on the shank (and in the case) w/ E.B W.B stamps on the band and bowl furniture.
(2)&(3) Two no maker bent w/ the E.B W.B stamp on the mounts.
* RE: BBB STAMPS: A.F. & Co / L.B / H.M but alas no Barling silver.
* The only Bewlay pipe I have is a late one from the 1920s and that's stamped B & Co.

Off topic but do you by chance have any knowledge of pipe maker B.C in a horizontal lozenge and E.I G.I H.J on the silver?
TAYLOR MANCHESTER was the name of the tobacconist who sold the pipe. Barling often stamped the names of their dealers on the shanks of their pipes.

Can't help you with the maker's mark. There are so many, and relatively few documented. One good source for pipe related smiths is this page, but it didn't have your maker:

and another good site for hallmarks is this one:

None of the sites I've visited entirely covers the field. Each one has a number of marks not found on other sites.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I seem to be destined to be buying only post transition Barlings. I recently bought a nice Guinea Grain Dublin shape that has some nice grain, and is a nice little smoker. Then I found this interesting little paneled pot. Yes, it's a small pipe, but I quite like them for stronger tobaccos. As usual, post transition pipes are impossible to date, but it doesn't seem like this is very new one. Who knows, I just like smoking them.

fullsizeoutput_288e.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_2892.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_2890.jpeg