48 Fresh AKB Meerschaum Pipes
18 Fresh Rossi Pipes
9 Fresh Radice Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

the hallmarks show a lions head in a shield shape and a U in a sort of square but if you look at the London hallmarks from 1923 the lions head changed to a square and the U for 1935 had two tails at the bottom instead of one.

see page 12 of

https://webarchive.nationalarchives...ingcouncil.gov.uk/publications/hallmarks2.pdf

as for your pipe .I tried enlarging the picture but cant see clearly.It looks like an i for the year and the lions head seems to be in a square if so yes 1924 appears correct.You should be able to confirm it from the link I posted above

Thanks for the info!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Do share how you know this.... Do my hallmarks match up with the stated year (the other motordome on this thread) ?

There are several online sites that have this information. Here are a few that I use most often:

There are several online sites that have this information. Here are a few that I use most often:

Thank you Lord Barling. :) I MOMENTARILY forgot that Barlings are near and dear to you. puffy

LOTS of good reading here. Thanks Sable!!!

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Seeker81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 22, 2019
Here's something that I hope you will find interesting, two Barling calabashes from 1908, one briar and the other a gourd meerschaum calabash.

2_1908_barling_calabashes-600x450.jpg

1908_barling_gourd_calabash_small-600x450.jpg

1908_barling_briar_calabash_small-600x450.jpg
I am just curious as to what it is like to smoke out of pipes like these. Particularly the meerschaum lined.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I am just curious as to what it is like to smoke out of pipes like these. Particularly the meerschaum lined.
The gourd calabash has a wide open draw, is fairly neutral, and delivers a great smoke. Depending on the condition of the pipe, these vintage pieces can remain excellent smokers. People are happily enjoying pipes that are approaching 200 years of age.

Seeker81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 22, 2019
The gourd calabash has a wide open draw, is fairly neutral, and delivers a great smoke. Depending on the condition of the pipe, these vintage pieces can remain excellent smokers. People are happily enjoying pipes that are approaching 200 years of age.
Thanks.
When you say that is fairly neutral, does that mean in regard to temperature?

Seeker81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 22, 2019
Oh OK. I see. Thanks for that. Some bowls ghost easier, I never considered that before. I've read on tobacco reviews that a particular tobacco (Clan) is supposed to be a real strong ghosting tobacco. It was the first tobacco I smoked. I smoked a 50g pouch of it through my inherited meerschaum. I only got the ghost for only about 2 or three bowls after I finished the pouch when I then switched to HH old dark fired... maybe was that because I was smoking a meerschaum?
Thanks for the pointer Sablebrush!

Seeker81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 22, 2019
Oh OK. I see. Thanks for that. Some bowls ghost easier, I never considered that before. I've read on tobacco reviews that a particular tobacco (Clan) is supposed to be a real strong ghosting tobacco. It was the first tobacco I smoked. I smoked a 50g pouch of it through my inherited meerschaum. I only got the ghost for only about 2 or three bowls after I finished the pouch when I then switched to HH old dark fired... maybe was that because I was smoking a meerschaum?
Thanks for the pointer Sablebrush!
A bit off topic... apologies.

achtman

Might Stick Around
Nov 25, 2017
Here is one more Barling motor cap. But it is on a Peterson Patent from 1903. There are no hallmarks on the motor cap but it does have the E.B. And W.B. Stamp. Jesse has pointed out to me that the motor cap was first made in 1906. so either the Pete was sold later, which did happen, or the cap was added on later.

hoppes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2017
Just refurbed a nice little Barling;s Make Fosill 268. Unfortunately the crossed Barlings is long gone but the reg;d number can still be read with magnification--98046. According to what I have been able to read the number indicates a pipe made between 1936 and 1949-50. I understand the name Fosill was used after the war so this puts the pipe somewhere between 1945-46 and 1949-50?? There doesn't seem to be many Fosills being sold or even talked about. Are they somewhat rare because of the time fame or weren't there that many produced? Somewhat unique with the oval shank and stem. Very light vintage Barling's. Hope the experts can comment. Thanks, Hoppes

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Nice pipe! TImeframe is roughly 1946 thru 1950, given the patent number, and fossil stamp. Barling didn't produce a great number of sandblasts. Their focus was on flawless smooths. During the War they turned more to sandblasts to make the fullest use of the briar that they had. Evidence of that is that they listed sandblasts as a part of their line beginning in 1943.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Very nice. And the nomenclature is very clear for a pipe that age.
As to the stem, might it be a replacement? Or is there a very faint impression of the crossed Barlings?

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
Very nice. And the nomenclature is very clear for a pipe that age.
As to the stem, might it be a replacement? Or is there a very faint impression of the crossed Barlings?
no the poster said"Unfortunately the crossed Barlings is long gone but the reg;d number can still be read with magnification--98046. "
so likely original.I dont see a replacement being stamped with the patent reg