PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
It's a nice little pipe. From what I'm seeing in the later 1962 catalog, it was only made in Size 3. Yes I smoke it, but it is not reserved for any particular type of tobacco.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I've uploaded a few of my more interesting (at least I think so) Barlings to show. I'll post one on a given day. Today's is a 1907 Barling Bulldog with a silver spigot mount, sterling windscreen, and horn stem. I apologize for the picts not being better, but hope that you enjoy them anyway.
1907_barling_windscreen_3-600x450.jpg

1907_barling_windcap_21-600x450.jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Very nice Sable. Is that a "Fishing" pipe? I noticed the ring holes, which I believe are for a lanyard.

That is a very interesting stand as well - I've seen them before but can't recall the maker.

rebornbriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2013
United Kingdom
Another beauty sable. What are the stamps on that pipe? It looks to me like there was originally a chain between the rings on the stem and the shank. A silver spigot can sometimes come apart and I think this would have been to make sure they were not separated in storage with possibly the stem being lost.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Hi Reborn,
The shank has "JAMES & CO" above "BIRMINGHAM". There is no "BARLING'S MAKE" logo. The sterling fitments all have the "EB" over "WB" Barling makers' mark, are all hallmarked for London with an "m" year stamp indicating 1907.
The sterling loops are soldered shut. I think that you are correct about their purpose. I haven't bothered to add a bit of chain to link them because it will likely get caught on some damned thing or another.
Great open draw and an effortless smoke.

May 31, 2012
Wow, yes, very interesting!
What struck me immediately was how the gourd calabash looks like a modernist Danish design, it looks quite unique, of course I'm not very familiar with the antique stuff and I haven't yet got Schrier's calabash book, so I did a quick image search and indeed your pipe stands out as a variant from the normal form, only a slight bit, but that slight bit adds a sort of timeless edge, making it appear more contemporary than it actually is. I do know perhaps there are infinite variations on the gourd calabashes, simply because the gourd is a naturally occurring thing with each one being slightly different --- yours is excellent, I like the kick of the tail, how the collar is mounted on the shank somewhat angular gives a visual break in the curvilinear plane, like a scorpion almost, or a snail or even yes, a blowfish...
...I think yours is a mighty fine specimen, pretty amazing how Barling could maintain a kind of consistency with these, this one looks quite similar, but I give the edge to yours for visual appeal...

http://www.thepiperack.com/blue-chip-estate-pipe-1904-hallmarked-barlings-make-extra-large-calabash-silver-spigot/
...and here's a funny typo, from a 1941 Geo. Yale catalog, yes friends, every renowned Barling is stamped T.V.A.

:lol: Tennessee Valley Authority?!?!?!?

2gyc9.jpg

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
An amazing pair.
Exactly what I thought when I first met my fianceé.
misterlowercase, thanks for the laugh! My curvy calabash definitely exudes a certain joie de vivre. It smokes extremely well. The specimen on The Piperack is a little larger and in cleaner condition. But, I didn't pay anything remotely close to the listing price of that piece.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
What I find interesting about the Geo. Yale picture above, is the four digit shape number.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
So now you know that the English numbering system extends back at least that far and probably farther. It wouldn't surprise me to find out that the English system dates to 1939-40 when the entire line was expanded. Bear in mind that the Nichols system was completely different and unrelated.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Hi Reborn,
Yes they were. According to a statement made by Montague Barling in Tobacco magazine, Barling began turning all of their bowls in 1906. The other interesting feature on this pipe is that it uses mortise and tenon construction. Barling pioneered the change from bone screw connections to the now standard vulcanite tenon.