PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
s-l1600.jpg

white-balance.jpg

The adjusted photo is a lot less green, and it may be that the photographer failed to get the right white balance. The second one is just a guess at what it should be.

Reactions: rogers

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
You bought a very interesting piece! Sandblasts made after WW2 had "fossil" stamped on them. Prior to the War, at least some of, if not all of, what few sandblasts were made were called "Nibblick". But around 1943, Barling officially added sandblasts to their line up of offerings and this falls into that period. Early 1940's probably wartime production, made for the domestic market since it has a 4 digit model number beginning with a 1. Congratulations on acquiring a very rare Barling!

laniromee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2018
You bought a very interesting piece! Sandblasts made after WW2 had "fossil" stamped on them. Prior to the War, at least some of, if not all of, what few sandblasts were made were called "Nibblick". But around 1943, Barling officially added sandblasts to their line up of offerings and this falls into that period. Early 1940's probably wartime production, made for the domestic market since it has a 4 digit model number beginning with a 1. Congratulations on acquiring a very rare Barling!

Wow, thank you so much, @sablebrush52! I won't tell how much I paid for it because it was a steal. I think the previous owner didn't have much of a clue of what he had and I'm glad I do now thanks to you!

The blast on this piece is gorgeous:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I picked this honey up about a month ago. Still haven't had the 'nads to light it up.....

It's a 1924 Sterling "MotorDome".

View attachment 9707
I like Barling's pipes from this period. They're little gems. Don't fret about not smoking it, or about firing it up. I have a few of their capped pipes and have found that the cap tends to get in the way of the draft, not to mention heating up. I usually smoke them with the windcap up. Maybe that's why so many of them have been lightly smoked.

Mr.Mike

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 11, 2019
Pennsylvania
Such a wonderful wonderful thread! I just finished reading through all of it, thank you for all that fantastic information, sable you are one knowledgeable guy!

Reactions: jpmcwjr

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
Do share how you know this.... Do my hallmarks match up with the stated year (the other motordome on this thread) ?
the hallmarks show a lions head in a shield shape and a U in a sort of square but if you look at the London hallmarks from 1923 the lions head changed to a square and the U for 1935 had two tails at the bottom instead of one.

see page 12 of

https://webarchive.nationalarchives...ingcouncil.gov.uk/publications/hallmarks2.pdf

as for your pipe .I tried enlarging the picture but cant see clearly.It looks like an i for the year and the lions head seems to be in a square if so yes 1924 appears correct.You should be able to confirm it from the link I posted above

Reactions: sandollars