PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Thanks..Just got those 3...So REGd 98046 ends in 1951?I have been told mine are from 1946-1949 ..so who knows....They sure look good after 70 years of age...The Guinea grain got REG Design so I figured 50s untill very early 60s...
I had always held, based on the duration of British design registrations, that the year would be somewhere around 1949-50. But @jguss found ads from 1951 that showed a change from REG'd Design to Barling Design occurring in early 1951. The Guinea Grain line of pipes began in 1953 or thereabouts ( I don't have my materials handy so I can't give you the precise year at the moment) so 1950's thru 1962 would be the period for that one. They're beautiful.

NC TX ID pipeman

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 25, 2021
North Carolina,Texas,Idaho
I had always held, based on the duration of British design registrations, that the year would be somewhere around 1949-50. But @jguss found ads from 1951 that showed a change from REG'd Design to Barling Design occurring in early 1951. The Guinea Grain line of pipes began in 1953 or thereabouts ( I don't have my materials handy so I can't give you the precise year at the moment) so 1950's thru 1962 would be the period for that one. They're beautiful.
Thank you Sir!I wish they still make them the way they used to..amazingly light but thick walls and wood feels so hard it almost rings like a bell...still lathe marks inside the bowls..

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Like a 50 yo beautiful virgin. Such a waste !

? OOPS - that is NOT PC today.
I take it back and will wash my mouth out
Maybe your wife should dump you...

Very nice, but why unsmoked ?
Why not? I have a half dozen unsmoked Barlings, including this 1907 companion set:

hzZwztQ.jpg

Which I have neither need nor desire to smoke. I like that they're exactly as they were when they left the factory, like little time machines. I'm primarily a pipe smoker, so I don't go out of my way to buy unsmoked vintage pipes. These were a rare exception. The other unsmoked Barlings were not advertised as such, so I didn't pay an insane premium for them. Once a match has been applied, they're just another old pipe. Besides, I have plenty of vintage pipes that I do smoke and they all smoke like pipes.

NC TX ID pipeman

Dec 25, 2021
Very nice, but why unsmoked ?
Like a 50 yo beautiful virgin. Such a waste !

? OOPS - that is NOT PC today.
I take it back and will wash my mouth out
No worries !Yep unsmoked for all that time is a shame...I really want to smoke at least one of them but I have been told that value would go down if I smoke them and planning to sell them sometimes in a future so holding myself real hard not to light them up...I got about 125 other pipes which I smoke so thats the story....

NC TX ID pipeman

Dec 25, 2021

Why not? I have a half dozen unsmoked Barlings, including this 1907 companion set:

hzZwztQ.jpg

Which I have neither need nor desire to smoke. I like that they're exactly as they were when they left the factory, like little time machines. I'm primarily a pipe smoker, so I don't go out of my way to buy unsmoked vintage pipes. These were a rare exception. The other unsmoked Barlings were not advertised as such, so I didn't pay an insane premium for them. Once a match has been applied, they're just another old pipe. Besides, I have plenty of vintage pipes that I do smoke and they all smoke like pipes.
Well said!!This set make my day.....

Reactions: sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
No worries !Yep unsmoked for all that time is a shame...I really want to smoke at least one of them but I have been told that value would go down if I smoke them and planning to sell them sometimes in a future so holding myself real hard not to light them up...I got about 125 other pipes which I smoke so thats the story....
The first match costs between 35% and 50% of market value. If they have their original boxes and papers that adds to the collectible value. BTW, if you have the original box you can date the pipe to a 5 year period.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia

hzZwztQ.jpg

I wonder why she still keeps me - certainly not for my looks nor money ?

I can understand not smoking that cased 1907 Barling set of yours. They will be very difficult to replace.
I would hesitate if they were mine, for the same reasons as yours.

I have an unsmoked cased 1917 BBB and a cased 1922 Loewe.
Their value is nothing compared to your set of Barlings.
I will wait for an appropriate occasion to smoke them.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I wonder why she still keeps me - certainly not for my looks nor money ?

I can understand not smoking that cased 1907 Barling set of yours. They will be very difficult to replace.
I would hesitate if they were mine, for the same reasons as yours.

I have an unsmoked cased 1917 BBB and a cased 1922 Loewe.
Their value is nothing compared to your set of Barlings.
I will wait for an appropriate occasion to smoke them.
I you do decide to smoke them, be very, very careful. Unsmoked pipes of that vintage can crack on the first smoke. Have the chambers coated with a thin layer of silicate mixed with charcoal powder to act as an insulator. Slow smoke, as in a few sips and set it down, relight, a few sips and set it down, relight, etc, for the first five or more bowls, until you have an insulation layer built up. Then continue to smoke them gently.
Comoy's used to suggest moistening the chamber walls with water before the inaugural smoke of one of their pipes. Old wood dries out over time and can become less resilient to expansion from heat.

NC TX ID pipeman

Dec 25, 2021
The first match costs between 35% and 50% of market value. If they have their original boxes and papers that adds to the collectible value. BTW, if you have the original box you can date the pipe to a 5 year period.
Quite expensive match.... So better keep them matches locked in a safe at least a mile away from them Barlings....I wish to have a boxes.It would be nice..so each period got a different box?Sometimes surprices me how much collectors pay for an extra box..Just bought a knife I wanted for decades made in my birth year and paid 350$ less than same knife with a box!!!Same with gun boxes specially for older guns like Colts etc.

Reactions: dunnyboy

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Quite expensive match.... So better keep them matches locked in a safe at least a mile away from them Barlings....I wish to have a boxes.It would be nice..so each period got a different box?Sometimes surprices me how much collectors pay for an extra box..Just bought a knife I wanted for decades made in my birth year and paid 350$ less than same knife with a box!!!Same with gun boxes specially for older guns like Colts etc.
Inside the lid of the box, Barling affixed a label with a guarantee, which also stated how long the company had been in business. This label was updated every 5 years.

The label reads "Every pipe is stamped Barling's Make and carries the Barling world famous guarantee, behind which is a British House of more than number of years years' standing." Then if the sentence says, "100" years, the pipe dates between 1912 and 1917. If the sentence says, "135" years, then the pipe dates to between 1947 and 1952 etc, etc.

Of course, this only works if the Box is original to the pipe, which isn't always the case and might not have been when the pipe was originally sold. Not every employee was careful about putting everything back together correctly. And, a lot of eBay sellers are not always honest about the box being original.